Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gerry Kelly Interviews John DeLorean
Below is the link to the interview between John De Lorean and UTV chatshow host Gerry Kelly. This was first broadcast in 1996, and got big billing in the local press if my memory serves me right.

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist/UTV/1 ... X29019601/
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
Yes indeed David I remember it well. Monday 29th January 1996 in a downtown Manhattan hotel suite.
Here's a photo of Gerry Kelly, John and myself taken after the filming.
[Image: newyork1966]

Robert Lamrock
Former UTV Producer/Director
VIN #3915
Hi Robert, can I ask how did the opportunity to interview John De Lorean come about?

What was he like in person? And was there any other footage that didnt make it to the final cut?

The image you posted isnt working Sad
I met John a number of times; at the factory, in the UTV studio with Gloria Hunniford, and at his house - Lamington Farm in Bedminster, New Jersey. I did an interview with John for DeLorean World magazine in 1994 and he offered to do a tv interview after that was published. UTV decided to do a MotorWeek in 1996 so I asked John if he would be part of that which he agreed.
There was quite a lot of footage that didn't make it to the final cut for legal reasons...

Here's the photo of Gerry Kelly, John and myself after the filming.

[Image: 10931960275_e1a3220186_b.jpg]
thats awesome Rob, great photo, and what great memories you must have Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Yes great memories and some great stories and photos - I must write a book one of these days!

Robert
ROBLAMROCK Wrote:I met John a number of times; at the factory, in the UTV studio with Gloria Hunniford, and at his house - Lamington Farm in Bedminster, New Jersey. I did an interview with John for DeLorean World magazine in 1994 and he offered to do a tv interview after that was published. UTV decided to do a MotorWeek in 1996 so I asked John if he would be part of that which he agreed.
There was quite a lot of footage that didn't make it to the final cut for legal reasons...

Great picture Robert, thanks for sharing...almost as good as the one I found on the web of you at Aldergrove (Belfast International Airport) with Miss Northern Ireland.

I recall the UTV motorweeks well, they usually tied in with the Ulster Motorshow at the Kings Hall and featured Pamela Ballentine , Kate Smith etc out and about the roads of Northern Ireland....memories of my youth.

You seemed to be on good terms with JZD to get the access you had and for him to agree to an interview with GK...i am intrigued as to what was said that couldnt be broadcast.

Was quite fortunate to get copies of DeLorean World with my car and they featured a couple of your articles...the interview with JZD and your recollection of the cars visit to UTV studios with Gloria Hunniford.
Another book would be great Robert.

Lets face it, as time marches on, many of the key players in the DeLorean saga are no longer with us. Future generations deserve more that the legacy of books written in the early 80's, most of which are very negative about the car and its creator.

BTW Robert, I trust you were OK with me passing on your contact details to the Channel 4 folk some weeks ago?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Chris,

I spent quite a bit of time doing research for Channel4 guy and they seem to be somewhat disorganised.
It appears that they have upset a number of 'key players' with their attitude and I am not confident that the programme will have a positive outcome.

Good luck with your book.

Robert
Thanks Robert,

When they first made contact they seemed to be very under researched…..to say the least.

I'm more optimistic on the outcome, but I guess we will only know for sure when it actually comes out.

One things for sure, if they do a "Quentin Willson" on us, then I will never, ever, have anything more to do with TV programmes.

BTW, on Saturday at the NEC, Barrie Wills sought out dear Quentin and gave him "both barrels" so to speak, in front of his 'fan club'. He will also get a mention in our book…..as the man who single handedly killed off "The Cars The Star" by his acidic , sarcastic and incorrect comments.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:It appears that they have upset a number of 'key players' with their attitude and I am not confident that the programme will have a positive outcome.
That surprises me, we have been working hard with them for the last 12-18 months and so far (with a couple of exceptions) everything seems to be on the positive side. However these things can/and do change. Infact I was talking to one of the producers the other day and they are still very keen to have you involved, I have always told them of your significant involvement with DeLorean and the DOA.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
did anyone film Barrie giving Quentin both barrels? Would love to have seen that Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Not to my knowledge …but we should have done.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:Infact I was talking to one of the producers the other day and they are still very keen to have you involved, I have always told them of your significant involvement with DeLorean and the DOA.

Jeremy Daldry the series Producer/Director was in Belfast on Wednesday of last week and didn't bother to get in touch so I don't believe that they are keen to have me involved despite what you say.

Kind regards,
Robert Lamrock
DeLorean Owners Association
Thanks for posting the link to the interview, I have wanted to see this in full for a very long time! Big Grin
DOC 116
VIN 6237