Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOT time and Oil Leak
Hi all.

The dreaded MOT test looms in 2 weeks and I've recently changed my drive shaft boots on one side due to one being split last year.

Not run the car at all since may when I was having fuel pickup pipe issues.

After connecting the battery up yesterday she started first turn with the usual traits.

Fuel gauge at 12 o'clock. This sorted itself after 10 mins!
Oil pressure gauge erratic but I guess the spade terminal needs cleaning as usual.
A dribble of oil from the lowest point on the back of the sump.

Now when I first got the car, it always wept slightly from the lowest pulley seal.
I take it, or rather I'm hoping that because I changed the oil in march time that the cleanliness of the new oil has made it weep more.

How easy/difficult is it to change this seal, and could the leak be something else?

Not investigated yet but after my short drive yesterday the oil level was the same yet there was an area the size of a 10p piece where oil was pooling.

Cheers in advance for any suggestions or tips.

I see no reason why she won't sail the mot !

MrP
Do you mean the crank pulley? if so I cant remember if you can do it without removing all the chain cover housing, either way the crank pulley has to be got off, this being the hardest part!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Well I am kind of hoping it's the oil pressure switch seal. I have not investigated properly yet but I know this can be a likely cause!

I pray it's not developed a pinhole leak in the valley.

Are there any other signs of a badly corroded block without taking the top off?

Chris, you must be an expert on that as I believe you fell unlucky to a corroded block in the past.

Would a higher mileage engine be a more likely to corrode to that extent or the other way around maybe, ie low miles and little use?

Also would there be a more definate way of knowing it was coming from the block, ie would it affect the oil pressure reading?

Cheers all!
IIRC the opinion on corroded blocks is that lower mileage/less use cars are more prone to block corrosion, I guess due to the water/antifreeze not getting hot enough to evaporate during normal driving from within the V. Anyway the other known location for an oil leak in that area, is a o ring behind the A/C idler pulleys. I'm sure it's something simple when the block goes you get a lot more than a 10pence worth of oil coming out!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
i'd check the oil switches first. Clean it all off properly then find out for sure where its coming from. Oil doesn't generally run up hill, but I guess it could get thrown around a bit. Clean, wipe, run, look. Don't panic yet.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
A new MOT with no advisories today!

No oil leaking so I assume it was a one off.

It was great to drive the car after having my DeLorean (And beer!) fix at the NEC yesterday!

Great to catch up with everyone again!

Ben
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:A new MOT with no advisories today!

No oil leaking so I assume it was a one off.

It was great to drive the car after having my DeLorean (And beer!) fix at the NEC yesterday!

Great to catch up with everyone again!

Ben

Glad it was all ok matey. 8)

I've got a little leak myself, and it appears to be from the lowest point of the sump also. Tis a bit of a bugger to get tools in that gap so will have to pop it on the ramp soon. I'm due an oil change anyway so may as well change the gasket!
http://www.deloreanhire.com
http://www.fusiontimetravel.co.uk

Ex 1981 DMC Delorean Time Machine owner.