Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rust repair the easy way (sort of!), Moggy style
Just over a year on, Martha the Moggy Minor is now on the final stages of body repair, I rolled the old girl over to complete the underside welding and de- rust/ repaint those bits that are properly unaccessible when on 4 wheels-welding and grindings a pain in the @ss upside down, done that too many times in the past so took the initiative and rolled the car, and was surprised at how easy it is now to work on.
As DeLorean owners, we are VERY lucky we don't have to deal with corrosion on the scale that British classic cars from the 60s generally have-saying that, rear suspension bolts that have been in place for over 40 years came off without aggro or skinned knuckles-now that is unbelievable! :lol:
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Further update-all welding and painting done to the underside, refurbishing and painting the running gear now and Martha should be back on 4 wheels by Xmas!! 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Lovely job Brian, I've been there myself but never rolled the car to do it, I was on my back with sparks going down my collar!

I did my rear axle and propshaft in British racing green, added a nice touch.

Best result was painting the propshaft - Jacked up the rear wheels, engaged first gear, started the car up and the shaft was spinning slow enough to rub it down and then paint - just held tthe brush against it as it was spinning - lovely job and no runs!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
One of my first cars was a Moggy….I never had mine stripped down like that, but I did get fed up with frequent welding and painting, all of which I had to do outside on the drive of my parents house…..one of the reasons I went for a DeLorean much, much later on. Also a decent garage was a high priority as soon as I could afford one.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Had to laugh at your propshaft painting exploits Rich,defo a novel way to paint moving parts (literally!),fully agree with it's not a great idea to weld underneath cars lying on the floor- that's why rolling it overs the best and safest way to go.
It's amazing how easy and almost enjoyable it is to weld and paint when you've got easy access to parts of a car that are normally hidden from view and a pig to repair, as I've said, we're lucky with the DeLorean as it doesn't normally have any rust problems on the scale of rusty British cars! 8)
Oh I dunno... Shock Big Grin

Is yours a 2-door or a 4-door?

Mine was a 1968 2-dr in black with a thin red pinstripe, HUR ***G, it was running a 1098 but I should have got round to getting a 1275cc for it it would have stood it no problem!

I put in new rear chassis legs, new x-member outriggers, full sills both sides: inner, middle and outer, new B-post bottoms and new flanges where the rear arches bolt up to the body tub. It also had new front wings during my ownership but I had that done. I then sprayed it myself up to the swage-line, and (dare I say it!) made a half reasonable job!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Mines also a 2door Rich, and it sounds as though you've repaired and replaced most of the bits I have- they never look that bad until you start pulling them apart....... :lol:
Further update, refurbishing the front & rear suspension now, pic of before and after rear springs-should be back on 4 wheels by the end of this month! 8)