Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 1780 - The Resurrection Blog
Looking good, now you have some space to work on it properly!

Quote:resist fixing things that aren't broken, would be my advice
I do so wish I would heed that myself :roll:

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
@ Chris P - I will listen carefully to the advice given, not going to spend money I dont have to...its hard come by these days.

@ Chris W - The garage is a great size, plenty of room to work around 1780...I will be a DeLorean POG by the time the cars on the road.

Got a good 90% of the fuel/emmison parts bought just need a couple of things and we can get them fitted and see/hear the car run on its own steam.
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
I tinkered about with the car this evening starting with the fuel tank. The old fuel pump boot had disintegrated into the fuel tank and its contents lay stuck to the bottom so I had to remove it...

[Image: e3ahy6uv.jpg]

[Image: azuhe2yq.jpg]

The item below was floating about the tank...its a filter of some sort however there were the remains of gauze so its knackered whatever it is...can this be replaced ? If so where does it go?

[Image: esagyde6.jpg]

I also started wire brushing the frame as well which I will finish off tomorrow.

And I got rid of my rocket launchers...

[Image: muna4uba.jpg]

[Image: ude2ezu3.jpg]
Hi. Congrats on your garage build and good on you for tacking this work yourself!

As for the boot in the bottom of your tank, that's shocking!

A wild guess to the unidentified gauze. I would say it's either a filler neck filter or it's the internal gauze in your pickup that attaches to the pickup hose in the baffle... it doesn't look familiar though in a parts diagram so it's probably a part of another part that's broken up!

Mr P
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:or it's the internal gauze in your pickup that attaches to the pickup hose in the baffle... it doesn't look familiar though in a parts diagram so it's probably a part of another part that's broken up!
That would be my guess as well, fuel pump screen.

http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/product_ ... s_id=48078
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Could the black stuff be the remains of some inappropriate sort of fuel pipe that has unwound and disintegrated? Never seen anything like that before.
Im sure you can clean the tank out using acetone , but it you need one, I have new tank you could have.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:I have new tank you could have.
I got a new tank from Chris Nicholson 3 years ago, it cost me the tidy sum of £10 - for that price it's cheaper than going through the time and effort of cleaning out the old tank Smile
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Yeh…I know, I gave him a trailer full!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Well I am finally getting sometime to post on the net...I got most of the tasks completed this week.

Frame and surrounding areas wire brushed as best I can without doing a full stripdown of suspension components etc.

Cleaned the fuel tank out as best I can, will give it a final going over this weekend ensuring its cleaned out proper...you might get a call yet Chris P about that tank Smile

I got the front brake calipers off and they have been rebuilt...a bit of a team effort between myself Thomas and his friend Eamon....I am learning/practicing as I go along with the DMC Smile

The rear calipers proved to be a tad troublesome....no matter what I did I couldnt get the nuts to budge. Thomas and Eamon popped over on Sunday and managed to get one of the calipers off...The rear passenger Caliper has still to come off as the lower bolt wont budge...looks like I might have to take a bit of heat to it.

Also managed to source some new track rod ends and ball joints. I also got some stainless steel fuel lines at the same time from DOCUK

I am off work next week and the plans are to get the brake discs off, maybe see about stripping some of the components under the car off for repainting/replacing.
Good stuff, might be ready for the summer Big Grin ?
Always shop around for parts either search the forums or ask questions, some of the parts are so much cheaper getting them direct from suppliers, As your working towards brakes, discs are available from Unipart, pads from Ebay sometimes a lot cheaper than buying direct. Dave does a good x-change service for the calipers and there was a recent thread about another place that can do them along with the handbrake calipers.
Out of interest any idea why the exhaust was changed or are they just rocket launchers bolted on the old tail pipes? I seem to remember seeing pictures where the exhaust looked to be made of flexi pipes.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Good stuff, might be ready for the summer Big Grin ?
Always shop around for parts either search the forums or ask questions, some of the parts are so much cheaper getting them direct from suppliers, As your working towards brakes, discs are available from Unipart, pads from Ebay sometimes a lot cheaper than buying direct. Dave does a good x-change service for the calipers and there was a recent thread about another place that can do them along with the handbrake calipers.
Out of interest any idea why the exhaust was changed or are they just rocket launchers bolted on the old tail pipes? I seem to remember seeing pictures where the exhaust looked to be made of flexi pipes.
Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry only replying...Getting 1780 back on the road for the summer would be great but I am not building my hopes up just yet.

Thanks for the tips on pads discs etc will take that on board as I look to chalk off the braking system...I went and got a blow torch today to put a bit of heat of the nut that wont budge on the caliper only to discover I didn't have a 16 socket in my tool kit when I went to do the job tonight Shock back down to Halford's tomorrow....I had been using my band of merry Delorean helpers tools the last time I looked at the caliper.

However the night wasn't a total right off as I wire brushed the brake calipers that are off and they came up ok, I painted the areas of the chassis that are showing signs of rust starting with kurust. Tomorrow I will add some hammerite silver paint to seal the areas that I treated before putting some por15 on to fiinish the job off.

To answer your question on the exhaust I took a few pictures tonight for you to see the flexi pipe...the exhaust is standard from what I can see I think the pipe might have replaced the catalytic convertor. The rocket launchers were bolt on's....what I want is to get the peashooter style exhaust tips...is this possible? were the peashooters bolt ons? if not a previous owner has hacked them off.
Hi David,

a homemade Cat by pass pipe eh?

Regarding the fuel tank, my good friend Ian is coming over to Northern Ireland in the next few days. He could bring you a new tank, but I would need to know today ( TUESDAY) as he is passing near my house mid afternoon today.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Ahh, that explains it all, I could see the flexi pipe from the pictures taken from above the engine when you first got the car, that along with the rocket launchers I wondered if the complete exhaust had been changed, clearly it has not, interesting by pass pipe though!
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
It has been over a year since I posted anything on vin1780 and I would like to report progress has been made in that time.

Since my last update the following has been done:

New fuel injectors fitted
Metering head refurbed
Stainless steel fuel lines fitted
CPR Valve currently at Ed Udings for a refurb
New Radiator fitted
New Condenser (to be fitted)
Lowering Springs fitted
New upper/lower ball joints fitted to front suspension
New suspension bushes fitted
New track rods ends fitted
New Water pump fitted

I would need to check the rest of my receipts to find out what else been done, but I dare not look as I will then realise what I have truly spent.

I am waiting on the CPR valve coming back from Ed Uding where its away for a refurb, the brakes arent responding as they should so going to rebleed them however I accept the servo might be away.

When we test drove the car it was very responsive, touch wood the auto box performed as it should and it brought a big smile to my face - thats what counted Smile

To most of you progress has been slow but we only get working at the car now and again, day to day work, plenty of overtime and general life gets in the way. However I am more than happy with what has been achieved. I've been very fortunate not only to have made a good friend but also fall in with Thomas McAuley a local Belfast owner who has got me as far as I have without him 1780 wouldnt be at this stage and the holes in my pockets would be slighy bigger than they already are if I had left it in with a mechanic.

Videos 1 & 2 are of the cars first drive test, in November - we discovered the suspension needed serious work that day. Video 3 is me testing out the brakes two weeks ago and video 4 is a little walk around of the car in my garage.

Video 1 http://youtu.be/N-QRdY9RbAU

Video 2 http://youtu.be/Qquajvh5-8g

Video 3 http://youtu.be/r3LBk2L7Mxk

Video 4 http://youtu.be/Z6v7jHrQCxA
Thanks for sharing all this with us David.

As a matter of intest I removed 'DeLores' fuel tank this week and found black crud on its fiter gauze, and plenty of muck in the tank.

This is a car that has never been out of the UK and has only done about 8K miles and has keen kept running ..occasionaly for most of its life. It was the same with vin 510. I think the motto is if you can..check and clean your tank, especially on a car that been standing a fair bit.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian