Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exterior door handle
Hi, recently purchased a deloran and the outer right hand door handle is broken off. Can anyone help?
My car is fitted with a red interior, and I haven't seen any others with this colour, is it unusual?
Any help greatly appreciated
Boy c Wrote:Hi, recently purchased a deloran and the outer right hand door handle is broken off. Can anyone help?

This is very common with the original plastic door handles. You can get replacement plastic ones from various vendors (e.g. DMC Europe), or you can fit metal ones, which are much stronger but look slightly different.
Sounds like you bought the Saudi Delorean. I'm guessing she's painted silver?
VIN:01955
==========================
Simon
Starglider Wrote:This is very common with the original plastic door handles. You can get replacement plastic ones from various vendors (e.g. DMC Europe), or you can fit metal ones, which are much stronger but look slightly different.

AFAIK no replacement plastic handles have been available for years. For a time, a cast metal handle was available - just the lever bit, but they were fiddly to install and looked "wrong". The commonly available replacements now are a redesigned assembly (or at least were, I haven't bought any for a while!). One of the first DMC remanufactured product I believe, with www.delorean.com embossed on the reverse.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I think it's metal ones on LEX. They feel cold to the touch at least. Can you confirm this Martin?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Yes, the seller told me my car was from Saudi, and is painted silver. Looks like its been painted red at some point too!
Planning to take the paint off to see what's underneath.......

Been hidden in a garage near Fraserburgh for over 20 yrs , it's complete and runs , so hopefully I can get it back on the road without spending a fortune!

Never even seen a deloran before, bit of a spur of the moment purchase.

Any ideas why the interior is red?

Best place to buy an exhaust ?

Thanks guys :-)
Quote:Best place to buy an exhaust ?
Depends on what bits you want stock or performance? I take it you have checked out or club website? www.deloreans.co.uk there is lots of info there plus through the club mag. Where are you located? there may be an owner close to you who may be able to offer help and advice as well as using this forum. Good luck with the car it will be interesting to see it.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Rissy Wrote:I think it's metal ones on LEX. They feel cold to the touch at least. Can you confirm this Martin?

Yes you have the new DMC assemblies circa about 10 years ago, though comically one of them came from PJ Grady (NY) and has the "www.delorean.com" bit melted off!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:
Rissy Wrote:I think it's metal ones on LEX. They feel cold to the touch at least. Can you confirm this Martin?

Yes you have the new DMC assemblies circa about 10 years ago, though comically one of them came from PJ Grady (NY) and has the "www.delorean.com" bit melted off!

OK, cheers for the feedback. This is what I thought. So at least mine should not be breaking any time soon. :wink:
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Boy c Wrote:Yes, the seller told me my car was from Saudi, and is painted silver. Looks like its been painted red at some point too!
Planning to take the paint off to see what's underneath.......

Been hidden in a garage near Fraserburgh for over 20 yrs , it's complete and runs , so hopefully I can get it back on the road without spending a fortune!

Never even seen a deloran before, bit of a spur of the moment purchase.

Any ideas why the interior is red?

*DeLorean

I would assume that that teh rich Saudi owner had it re-trimmed.

I think it was also painted green at one point. A green car with red interior must have been "eye-catching" to say the least.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
I read somewhere that the interior of VIN#11746 was a testexample for a red interior by the factory ... In other words, this should be factory original. Can someone confirm this? Or prove otherwise? Looks a bit 'bright' to be factory original, I think ...
If you're gonna build a timemachine, why not do it with style !
http://www.deloreanclubbelgium.eu
Im not aware of any factory red interiors. ( burgundy was the closest) .

Mine was post factory done as is the one in the London Motor Museum. ( if fact it was done by their in-house team of skilled restorers)

Good luck with getting the red paint off! Most painted cars are hiding damage underneath.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
There is no evidence of the car ever being green, but its definitely been red.
It's been re painted silver over the top of the red at some point.....
The red trim is in perfect condition, and if not done at the factory was certainly a professional job.
If there is a load of damage when I take the paint off, I'm just going to respray it a bonkers colour!