Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Wheel Bearing
I need a new NSF bearing. It's about to drop off, so need to replace it next spring after a direct drive to the garage for them to press out the old and replace with the new.

I have lots of part numbers, but there seems to be a confusion of the specified inner diameter preference for the DeLorean for the available manufacturer's versions.

As an example, here are two well known manufacturer's part descriptions. Obviously, sense would point you to buying SKF over Quinton Hazell, but with the Quiton Hazell is advertised as being specifically for the DeLorean. So with the difference between the two parts ID's...which would people vouch for going for?

Quinton Hazell "QWB243" Dimensions: OD 60 mm; ID 29.8 mm; Width 37mm

SKF "VKBA 559" Dimensions: OD 60 mm; ID 30 mm; Width 37 mm
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
You're splitting hairs. SKF probably just rounded it up.

Both inner diameters are well within tolerance for the inner ring diameter.

Here are some more cross references for the same part...

(QH)QWB 243
(SKF)VKBA 559
(FAG)713690160
(TIMKEN)K 83212
(SNR)R 158.07
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
OK, well in that case, i'll go for the SKF example. My local parts supplier can get me one for £29.06 Cheers Rich. Mr Green
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Rissy Wrote:OK, well in that case, i'll go for the SKF example. My local parts supplier can get me one for £29.06 Cheers Rich. Mr Green

Hi, Eds are 20 Euro, but unsure if these are SKF or equivalent.

I was also looking for a post (think it was rom Rissy, was it here, or on the other channel??) who mentioned wheel bearings which fail very shortly after replacement. At the time, I thought "bulls't, they've just been wrecked when they were pressed in.

However, this has just happened to me. I got a guy to press them. I still think he has just been an idiot and wrecked the new bearing on installation... Right? Surely there is no "reason" (other than that given) for these bearings (or any bearings) to fail prematurely....

Discuss??!

Cheers

andy
What manufacturer of bearing did you have put in? I think nowadays, there are so many cheap Chinese bearings, not really worth their salt, that these are renowned for failing prematurely. Cheap materials etc. I've heard about a few to avoid, including Quinton Hazell funnily enough. SKF (not to be confused with SKM - which are supposed to be terrible!) are supposed to be the best or at least right up there, and I think this is reflected in the cost. I also think it's definitely worth having the good stuff at least on the left of the car because in my opinion this is the side of the car which receives most punishment with the terrible state of the british roads. Pot holes and driving over drains etc while hugging the pavement. I know it's always my left side stuff which keeps failing, and the right hand stuff seems to go on forever!!!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
RichH Wrote:You're splitting hairs. SKF probably just rounded it up.

Both inner diameters are well within tolerance for the inner ring diameter.

Here are some more cross references for the same part...

(QH)QWB 243
(SKF)VKBA 559
(FAG)713690160
(TIMKEN)K 83212
(SNR)R 158.07

Just ordered a QH one for Phill's car off Ebay, £10 inc free postage Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
This is the bearing I got in December.

"BRT1142"

Seems to be made by SNR and has a "GB" code stamped into it

"GB10790505"

It's finally getting fitted this Wednesday.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
How's the bearing Rissy?

Amazingly, it's my front nearside bearing that needs changing too. Would you buy the same again?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Chris Hawes Wrote:How's the bearing Rissy?

Amazingly, it's my front nearside bearing that needs changing too. Would you buy the same again?

Doing fine Chris. About 1,800 miles covered on it so far and all is good. I actually had to get the offside front finally replaced in June. I'm not sure of the details of that one as it was one which RichH just had randomly lying around (gulp :lol: ) so it'll be a good test between expensive NSF and cheap OSF. About 600 miles or so covered on that one since fitted.

I'm sure Rich can offer up the details of the bearing he offered up for my OSF in June...?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
One reason for premature bearing failure can be if it's 'new - old-stock' and has been stored incorrectly - i.e not oiled. Tiny rust particles inside the inner race of the bearing can pick up and lead to rolling contact fatigue which causes spallation of the races, which generates more debris and the problem exacerbates pretty quickly as the balls or rollers pass it.

This happened to me an an ostensibly 'new' clutch release bearing before, thankfully on the transverse A-series so an easy fix in that instance.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Just Ordered a SKF VKBA 559 from here:
http://www.autodoc.co.uk/skf/1362934?gad...IIjw#autos

Do I need any special retaining clip or anything?
Vin: 4468
DOC No: 758
www.theportlandarms.co.uk
The hub has a circlip that fits into a recess to keep it all in place. You should be able to re-use the existing one provided it's in good enough condition.

Source; I did my two front bearings just over a year ago Smile
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Quote:Do I need any special retaining clip or anything?
You planning on doing this yourself Steve? Confused
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584