Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic Car Rescue are doing a DeLorean
we were at an open day at a new garage in Langley Mill today, and guest of honour was TV
mechanic Bernie Fineman. We went along in 'Sorbet' and the Avantime (my De is out of tax),
and we were chatting to him for quite some time about all things cars.

He said they were doing a DeLorean in Canada for the next series of Classic Car Rescue, apparantly
it was in a very bad state (sounds like major accident damage) when they bought it, as it needs
the frame straightening, as well as loads of other work.

He said they were thinking of painting it a deep metallic purple, with white seats with purple
stitching/piping, and black wheels. We said that painted cars were worth upto 50% less then stainless
ones, but he said that the value was of no importance, as they give the car away as a prize at the
end of the show.

Bernie said that they are making a new wiring loom from scratch as well as lots of other work and upgrades.

He's actually a really nice guy to chat to, and very down to earth, as we've found with many 'celebs' that we've
met, the on screen persona is very different to the real person.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Guinney1971 Wrote:He said they were thinking of painting it a deep metallic purple, with white seats with purple
stitching/piping, and black wheels. We said that painted cars were worth upto 50% less then stainless
ones, but he said that the value was of no importance, as they give the car away as a prize at the
end of the show.

But white seats? Maybe cream or tan. But then, never had a purple coloured car.

What's going to happen, the new owner will end up stripping it back to metal. :lol:
VIN:01955
==========================
Simon
Hmmm, not sure that's great news tbh. A 'pimped' DeLorean sounds bad enough, but that C5 show is truly awful (easily the worst car show on the telly I think). Some of the restoration (and I do use that word very loosely) work they've done leaves a lot to be desired.

For me there are far to many 'setup' situations - I do remember a freshly painted Jag that happened to 'accidentally' reverse into a random engine block that just happened to have been left lying behind it.

The quality of the restorations are far to rushed (and yes I know there are time constraints - but why exactly?) The cars end up compromised and in some cases just plane wrong. And there is way to much twatting around for my liking.

Of course I shall watch it (and I guess that's the point), but with head in hands and from behind the sofa.

Nice pictures though.

Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Quote:For me there are far to many 'setup' situations - I do remember a freshly painted Jag that happened to 'accidentally' reverse into a random engine block that just happened to have been left lying behind it.
Yes I remember that as well :roll: :roll:
But if there going to do a Delorean and most of these types of show will at some point, might as well at least try and guide them in the right direction!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Maybe with this particular show we could have directed them in the direction of a Bricklin or Suzuki Cara :lol: (or any other gullwing car you can think of)

Just not a fan of this show at all. I mean Wheeler Dealers was a good watch. But we all know that Chris N had to do a lot of work on that particular car that we weren't shown on screen. Which gives potential buyers a bad idea of the costs involved in restoring one of these cars back to health I think.

So for a enjoyable watch, then great. As an education and insight into restoration realities then not so good - for me...
Stephen Partt
Bristol
agreed Stevey, WD were boasting about making over £6k on the car they did, but I heard that
that figure didnt include it going back to Chris N for a few more grands worth of work as part of
the sale price.

CCR are, by the sound of it, customising a car that was in a bad way to start - Bernie is a larger
then life character, and had us all in fits of laughter on Saturday, we all know alot of these shows,
including the ones in the USA trade on the 'confrontations' between the crews that work on the cars
and bikes so its all a bit tongue in cheek.

Anyway, its all publicity for the car, keeps its profile raised, and I have offered the DOC-UK's assistance
to the producers if required via my Uncle - they are filming with his Porsche 928 as part of the series
and he mentioned to them that I had a DeLorean when they said they were doing one in Canada.
Well it will be very interesting to see what they come up with - even if it is purple with white leather interior.

I no doubt shall tune in for sure - gggrrr...., adding to their C5 ratings.

Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
SteveyP Wrote:Well it will be very interesting to see what they come up with - even if it is purple with white leather interior.

I no doubt shall tune in for sure - gggrrr...., adding to their C5 ratings.

Steve

watch it on 'demand 5' then you wont boost the live ratings Wink
It does seem that this is now confirmed and the series is to hit May-June time. Though having spoken to the producer they have kept the car stock! Black interior/5 speed gearbox.
Not sure what the others are but a beetle with a Subaru engine was mentioned! And as with the last series all the cars will be 'given' away (premium rate phone comp) at the end.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... c-beauties

Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
one the other cars is a Porsche 928, as my uncle did some filming work with Bernie and
the team with his one.
Anyone see the show tonight?

I do hope they set up the pull the airline warped around the prop that was holding the passenger door open :roll: .

Then I know let's stick a jeep radiator in a DeLorean, what could possible go wrong.... :oops:

On the plus side fair play to the lad and lass doing the stainless work. I don't envy them the job of stripping
the paint. Looked pretty good when finished.
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Also discussed hear: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5208
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584