Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seat Backs Keep Coming Off
usually that means the torsion bars have been wound up to account for weak struts.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Fixed my driver's back cover yesterday. Dave from DMCMW told me that when they have clients cars come through, they repair it by adding stiff metal straps by riviting along the top clip onto the side clip, sort of like a triangle shape, but not connecting at the top.

So I went to the local hardware shop, bought some aluminium, measured and cut two lengths and screwed them on. Stiff as a board now and looks nice and tight when fitted back on.
Got a photo? Or an illustration? To show us precisely what you mean?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy Wrote:Got a photo? Or an illustration? To show us precisely what you mean?

I should had taken some photos, but I forgot (very unlike me). I'll try and find a pic on the net with the backing off and draw on it to illustrate.
VIN:01955
==========================
Simon
I used 3mm Aluminium Bar / Rod, cut to length and drilled through. I didn't have the right bolts, but I tried to use the flattest head so they dont protrude through the leather.

I didn't want to take them off again cause it was a PIA putting it back on properly!
Simon
Nice picture. cheers. I might try this when i get a chance. I'm sure you could just rivet the bars into place to match the fixings on the brackets too. No need for screws that way.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy Wrote:Nice picture. cheers. I might try this when i get a chance. I'm sure you could just rivet the bars into place to match the fixings on the brackets too. No need for screws that way.

I don't own a rivet gun, so I wasn't planning to spend money on a tool that I will use 4 times in my lifetime. :wink:

Had plenty of screws to choose from, so I went down that route. In case anyone wants to use screws, you will need to choose ones that are low in profile and wont damage the leather.
Simon
just shown that to Phill, as the passenger seat back is being a pain on #6772, and
mine keeps coming off on the driver's seat on #2292

cheers for the info Simon Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Not sure how long this will last, but the PO had tried to Fibreglass the panel at several sections, but it had seperated. The passenger side is okay, but it will do the same in the distant future.
Simon