Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunmurry Lotus/DeLorean meet 23/24/25th August 2013
Hello Chris,

I am Club Lotus organiser for Ireland.

We are very dipersed & only hold one or two events a year.

We hold a get-together of some Lotus Club members, in & around the end of August / beginning of Sept., each year; when members come over from England, Scotland & Wales.

We are having one on the 23/24/25th. August, next.

We had originally contacted the DeLorean club of Ireland, to have a combined meet at the old DeLorean factory, in Dunmurry, Belfast, on Sat. the 24th.; but they have not been contactable for months, now; although we know one member, who may come to the event.

We intend just to visit the frontage of the building for a photo shoot, have a look around the start of the old track; then go over to Crossle Racing Cars factory for a tout & then onto the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum.

We would be coming from the Giants Causeway Hotel, up north & would like to join up with any members at the "Portview Inn", Dargan Road, Belfast; & from there, drive over to Dunmurry.

I am Emailing to see if you have any members of your club, based over here ?

If you have, maybe they would like to meet with us, although it is short notice.
Regards,
Robin Walker.

Edenvale Holiday Cottages & Walker Contracts.

( Mobile: 07850 375365

( Home Telephone: (028) 2589 8030
* Fax: (028) 2589 8030
: Email: robin.walker@edenvaleholidaycottages.co.uk

ý www.edenvaleholidaycottages.co.uk
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Well thats a stroke of luck,

Barrie Wills, Andy Withers, Ian Foster and I are over in NI that weekend looking up contacts and taking photo's for our new book. (which is 80% finished).....should be able to meet up with them.

Great Scott......what a coincidence.......the space / time continuum is still working well..
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
It is cross posted over on the DOI forum as well. http://www.delorean.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2122 Are you taking any cars? I think Ian mentioned he had his on the road again?

Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I am meeting up with a few owner this weekend, I will make them aware of this event.

@ Chris P did you have anyjoy with the owners of Warren House?
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
No David,
nothing from Warren House I'm afraid, no phone working and email bouncing. I can only conclude that they have moved out.

I hope to see you in a couple of weeks.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Yes fingers crossed we can meet up, I am not working that weekend its worked out well Smile

There was was life about Warren House, fully furnished and cars outside I was confident you would get a reply when I left the note Sad
Club Lotus organised their annual gathering this year to include a visit to the DMC Factory in Dunmurry due to the connection between DMC and Lotus. Club Lotus kindly invited members of the local DeLorean Club to attend their event.

As my DeLorean is currently being restored there was only one DMC-12 in attendance, I didnt get the vin but the owner told me its an ex Kuwait car which he has owned for 13 years, its an 82 Auto with black leather interior....I dare say a few of you boys on here will know the car.

The original plans for the trip was to include a walk around the test track however it was deemed unsafe to do this. Barrie Wills happened to be in town along with Chris P (Good to meet you Chris) and give us a brief history on the factory, the car, how he accepted the job with DMC, what the plans were for the factory if it survived and produced the Triumph TR8, he commented on his time with Lotus and role with the Elan it was great to hear him talk about his experiences.

Once we finished at Dunmurry we made our way to the Crossle car factory in Holywood, Co Down where we were given a guided tour of the facilty and shown examples of the race cars they still produce today.

After the visit to Crossle we went to the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum were we had a look at the 50000 mile test car and the wooden mock up of the DMC-12 was on display.

All in all it was a great day out, a chance for me to experience a bit of the factory, meet another DeLorean owner from NI and see meet with the Club Lotus guys and girls and see some fine examples of the various Lotus cars they brought....thanks for the invite Robin.

[Image: asedudet.jpg]

[Image: y5u7ata7.jpg]

[Image: unapy3a3.jpg]

[Image: u6etegev.jpg]

[Image: enu5ypyt.jpg]

[Image: quvy9eqe.jpg]

[Image: ga8ataha.jpg]

[Image: urysu2yh.jpg]

[Image: bevyny9u.jpg]

[Image: bu7uny7u.jpg]

[Image: 8abunave.jpg]

[Image: ujytepyb.jpg]

[Image: veju8a7a.jpg]

[Image: yny5u3yg.jpg]
Is that car park publicly-accessible or did you have to contact Montupet to get to that point? I'm driving through Belfast next week and that trip must include some sort of factory visit... or rather, as close as I can get to it!

Best,
Travis
3 off us did get a tour of the factory the day before , but it took weeks to organise and the Lotus folk didn't get near the track at all.

We need a very rich person to save the test track and Warren House and turn them into a proper DeLorean museum!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Since the factory closed, the DeLorean Owners Association has been the only organisation to actively adopt a strategy to restore, maintain and use the test track at the former Dunmurry site.
DeLorean owners and enthusiasts from around the world have enjoyed memorable visits to the factory and drives on the test track during Eurofests held in 1993, 1997, 2001, 2006 and 2011.

The dynamics concerning preservation of the test track are complex and the Association has taken a lead role in this.
Over the years there have been numerous rumours of the test track’s imminent demise but these have all come to nothing. At the same time opportunities to have a practical solution have also been explored.

Recent developments however give the Association hope for the future and I am optimistic that the test track will be around for a while yet. There is much work yet to be done and the global DeLorean community will be kept informed of any significant change in the status quo.

Robert Lamrock
Board Director
DeLorean Owners Association
Hi Robert,

you and your volunteers have certainly done an excellent job in keeping an eye on the track and clearing it for the periodic meeting held here. But I have always thought that the appeal of the DeLorean car (and BTTF) throughout the world, is such that Dunmurry ought to be a full blown visitor attraction. Not not just for we fortunate few owners or indeed just for fans of the car.

I took an open top tourist bus ride a couple of years ago and was very disappointed that the DeLorean project did not get so much as a mention. When I tackled the guide, he said "its not something we talk about".

Belfast now seems to have fully embraced the Titanic, it's about time they did the same for the Delorean.

Barrie Wills (former director of purchasing and longest serving employee at DMCL) visited the site with us last Friday, for the first time in 30 years. He was dreading going back, because of the companies ultimate failure and being reminded of all the shattered dreams of the former workers.

But what did he see ? ....two large employers, Bombardier and Montupe employing nearly 1000 people between them and numerous other small business employing hundreds more, adjacent to the site . A very uplifting and positive experience for all of us.

The Delorean may not be made in Dunmurry anymore, but hi-tech airplane parts and precision casting certainly are.

This is the story that should be being told, not failure, but success. And on the back of that, a full blown visitor attraction for Dunmurry would be a logical step.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
That's very good news Robert, I'm sure you and the DOA are doing your upmost to preserve the track, as we all know dealing with local authority's is a very long and difficult task. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
If there is anything the DOC can do to help then please let us know, we are members of the FBHVC who also support what your trying to do so it may be worth trying to get them involved as well?
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks for the offer of help Chris W.
Will keep this in mind as we move forward.

Robert
great news Robert, we look forward to hearing updates as and when Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
The high rise flats at Seymour Hill just outside Dunmurry offer you the best vjews of the factory/test track provided you can wangle your way in.
Make your way to one of the upper levels and and you can view it all from the landing/hallway areas!

tgraham Wrote:Is that car park publicly-accessible or did you have to contact Montupet to get to that point? I'm driving through Belfast next week and that trip must include some sort of factory visit... or rather, as close as I can get to it!

Best,
Travis