Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re importing
ok ill be looking at importing a 2nd hand 1981 Delorean off ebay or some other such site for a car for my own personal use from America to UK < have quotes for usa to uk shipping (1000 usd) and uk to where i live in the uk will be free on a flatbed due to a friend owing me a favour < what other costs will be involved? < I assume registration.tax and what else i.e if i have to pay excise duty at port ????............... for my MOT a friend will be doing all the mechanical work to make it UK roadworthy. All help and advice is very much appreciated, thanks in advance IF there is a site that can help me that too is appreciated
Hear you go:
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/importing/index.html
A couple of members on this forum have recently imported cars so can probably give more of an update if required.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi,

You will need to clear it through HMRC, my shipping company did this and also made my application for a reduced rate of VAT @ 5% (Normally 20%). You can get this rate as the vehicle is of significant historical importance. Import duty is waved as the car is already manufactured in the UK technically.

You should consider cost of getting the car from its location in the states to the port it is leaving from. Marine insurance is worth taking out.

I used Kings Town Shipping to bring mine over. Steve there was very helpful.

There are useful guides on this site to help, also PJGrady website has some information.

Good luck.

Rich
Vin 5921
Check out Flux3d's blog, he documented the import process for his car:

http://delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... began.html

Shipping wise, I can highly recommend Trans Global Auto Logistics - Ask for Tony Lester.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
maxxryno Wrote:ok ill be looking at importing a 2nd hand 1981 Delorean off ebay or some other such site for a car for my own personal use from America to UK < have quotes for usa to uk shipping (1000 usd) and uk to where i live in the uk will be free on a flatbed due to a friend owing me a favour < what other costs will be involved? < I assume registration.tax and what else i.e if i have to pay excise duty at port ????............... for my MOT a friend will be doing all the mechanical work to make it UK roadworthy. All help and advice is very much appreciated, thanks in advance IF there is a site that can help me that too is appreciated

Post re thanks for help
thanks guys i had already read the guide and my price for transport of the vehicle includes driving from land to port usa side< although i will look into the hmrc clearance through the company as suggested (is that what is known as managed?)

the 5% vat you mentioned that will be 5% of what?

For the maritime insurance do you guys know any good companies for that or do i use the company moving the car>?

LAST question do i need to pay road tax and if so how much is it?<
for insurance, towergate will do it.... alltho i forgot to get insurance and i was lucky :S lol

Kingstown shipping, i would highly recomend, thats who i used.

the 5% charge on the price of the car, but you have to apply for the 5% or else you will end up paying 20%

Kingstown even sorted the BIFA for me Big Grin
I also negated the marine insurance (well forgot to tick the box actually). I guess the importnace of having it largely depends on the condition (and purchase price) of the DeLorean you are going to ship back. Mine was a cheaper resto project, therefore less risky really.

I believe the BTI calculation is actually based on the cost of the car plus the shipping and insurance costs added to it as well. It's quite an easy form to fill in though, and plenty on here can help you out with it if you get stuck.

Again I'll put in a good word for Trans Global (Will Pocock) as they provided a totally hassle free service for me. Made everything very easy and painless.

Best of luck with the purchase mate.

Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol