Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self drive
Are there any self drive deloreans available?? Sad Cotswolds based. Thanks
There was one until recently, but the owner sold and exported it. I considered making my car available (when ready), but it's probably too modified (LHD & turbo engine); most renters likely want the stock DeLorean experience.
most of us have insurance cover that precludes 'self drive' hire if we pay extra to add
wedding cover to our policies.

I know I wouldn't be happy letting my car out on a self drive hire basis even if I could
get the appropriate insurance cover.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
yeah i'd never hire out any of my cars for self drive. I've seen what people do to hire/curtesy cars, no doubt they would rag the shit out of it.
It may be your baby.....but isn't it also a business?

I remember talking to Steve Wynn and i rather foolishly said to him "it must be nice to combine your hobby and your business" ......he barked straight back at me...."its a business Right...... get it....a business! "

You could consider letting your punters have an "accompanied drive" for large premium and maximise your income.

Mind you, the LHD situation could easily lead to insurance problems with "RHD" Joe public.....even if he is loaded, it may not such a good idea after all!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:I remember talking to Steve Wynn and i rather foolishly said to him "it must be nice to combine your hobby and your business" ......he barked straight back at me...."its a business Right...... get it....a business! "

I think this is a bit off, and I really don't think you were foolish in saying what you said. I think that everyone likes to think that we all have a vested interested in keeping the Mark alive and kicking. Of course, some will have a vested interested from a more business point of view, but as a living. We all recognise it has to be a successful business to ensure future investment and continued development and sustainability, because that's what's required to keep a motor vehicle franchise running. To gun down a fellow supporter and recognised customer in such a brutal and undertoned way I think THAT was foolish. If it's JUST a business, greed, and existing until the whole thing simply "dries up", so "making hay while the sun is shining" then this is not only a bit sad, but it also puts me right off. Cutting, to say the least, and sort of removes from the sparkle which clearly exists around the Mark as a whole. I for one feel a little let down by this response. Or it could just be that I'm suffering from rose-tinted spectacles....which if I am, i'm not ashamed to admit.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Hi Rissy,

I'm sorry you took my comments the way you have. Its probably my fault for not explaining what I meant clearly.

Most Delorean owners are primarily, enthusiasts, fans of the car, often initially attracted by the BTTF connection. These owners are the primary users of their "babies" and are often very protective of them. They often use them for charitable / community stuff and probably the occasion wedding, sometimes for a bit of payment that goes towards the upkeep on the car. They are still running the car mainly as a hobby.

Sometimes this can morph into a business and there is nothing whatsoever wrong with making a business out of owning a DeLorean, especially a full blown BTTF car with some film company pedigree. It gets the Delorean name around even more. This business seems to be doing very well with talk of a second car. But like any business as it grows, the owners attention normally gets more business-like and less emotional.

We have had a couple of fledgeling DeLorean businesses in the past that folded because the numbers didn't stack up.

Being professional and keeping an eye on the bottom line is what a successful business is all about. Taking bookings, deposits, arranging insurance, health and safety, transportation, maintenance, security etc. etc.

I wasn't criticising Steve Wynn for being businesslike, he has to be. It was a comment on my own naivety in thinking it was still his hobby as well!

This tread started by asking about self drive. There have been a couple, but they have not lasted, presumably because there was not enough business. I think an ideal accompaniment to the BTTF hire, could be some sort of self drive, (but remembering my first drive of a LHD Delorean...I was terrified) .....i'd still be a little nervous about possible accidents. With this in mind I would seriously think about a modest condition/value LHD Auto, that at least takes some of the worry away from a novice D driver.

Anyway good luck to anyone who owns a DeLorean.....but if its primarily for business....make sure it pays.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I think there might be a bit of confusion here. I thought you were talking about Stephen Wynne, as in the Liverpool born Texas entrepreneur now in charge of The DeLorean Motor Company. I now think you're talking about Steve from www.bttfcar.co.uk.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Hi Rissy,

i wasn't "gunning down" or criticising anyone, just trying to point out the difference between someone who is primarily a DeLorean enthusiast and someone who has a Delorean business, whether its car hire or a spares stockist.

They rely on each other for their continued success. Its when this distinction gets blurred that problems can and have arisen in the past.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I have to say, we've been very busy with weddings and the like this year, its certainly
covered #2292's road tax, petrol for #2292 and #6772 to the DOC weekend away and
paid for me to have a good spend up in Mothercare on a new travel system, car seat,
maternity wear and a few bits for the new baby Smile

I know from talking to other classic car owners we undercharge, most of the ones we
talk to with VW Campers, and other pre-war/post-war classics charge around £450 for
a wedding, this year, depending on location and number of hours involved, I've been
charging around £100-£200, which maybe explains why we've been so busy if we're
undercharging lol (we stick to our own area too, ie Notts/Derby's, anything out of area
like Birmingham or Yorkshire we pass onto the next nearest member to keep it fair).
bttf car Wrote:I would love to work with out time machine owner but after being attacked by them I'm happy to transport the car across the UK and still seem to offer the best prices.

to be honest from what I, and many others, have seen, you and another owner are both as bad as each other when it comes to 'attacks', both having a pop and wanting the last word, not only on here but also on other social media sites. Everyone is tired of it, you're 250 miles apart, why you cant just stick to doing jobs in your own area's and not try and outdo one another is beyond me and many others.

Its about time some of the BTTF replica owners, you included, grew up for the benefit of the whole community and kept your disputes and differences
off of public forums, its not the place for them. Most of us are here because we enjoy the cars and each others company, and like helping each other out with
technical support, arranging social meets, etc, not because we want to take a 'my car's better then your's' approach or the like or use the forum for personal gain.

Just my 2pth.
Dont upset the heavily pregnant woman! Shock However I can only echo what Claire wrote above, it's getting to the point where the lady will snap or drop and non of us want to see that Shock Shock
All jokes aside what Claire said is very relevant and I would strongly advise notice is taken before we act.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Dont upset the heavily pregnant woman! Shock However I can only echo what Claire wrote above, it's getting to the point where the lady will snap or drop and non of us want to see that Shock Shock
All jokes aside what Claire said is very relevant and I would strongly advise notice is taken before we act.
Chris

lol, 4 days to go and counting Chris Wink
http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... machine-uk

advertising on a forum in the readers rides section..... yawn!
I joined Retro Rides a year or so ago, as I got a heads up from a mate in the Astra Mk3 OC (when I had my
Astra Convertible), that someone had taken a pic of our drive, with all our cars clearly taxed, and then posted
it in the 'abandoned cars' section!! Bearing in mind also that the photo was taken with our driveway gates shut.

If someone wants to enquire about the cars or ask to have a look, no problem, just have the courtesy of knocking
on our door and asking first, dont just stick a bloody camera up to our gates, take a random photo, then post it
on t'internet!

To say I saw red and vented spleen is something of an understatement........... :evil:

(and I wasnt even full of raging pregnancy hormones then either! lol :lol: )