Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Pump & Tank Diving
Hi all,

I'm due to be doing some tank diving on VIN# 4400 soon to give it a good clean up, hose change and inspection.

The fuel pump does not need to be replaced but I was wondering if there's a prescribed method of cleaning the pump while it's out of the tank? Or is it simply a case of cleaning the tank itself and putting the pump back in?
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
ooh carefulPhil.

these pumps are designed to be submerged when running and this is ok because there is no oxygen to help start a fire. I think this is known as the fire triangle if memory servies me right.

just clean as much cack from the pump visually and check that the pump number is correct for the deloren.

whie it is out don't forget the classic mod of spiring up some stainless wire to shove up the pump pick up hose to prevent it from collapsing.

hope this helps 8)

NickT.
Cheers for that matey,

I'm not really looking forward to playing around with so much fuel but I'll be glad to have the tank area cleaned out. I'm hoping to tackle it this bank holiday and give the car some use over the forthcoming weeks before bad weather stops play.
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Idea .....oh and get some petrol proof gloves, latex ones fall apart at the sight of petrol
NickT Wrote:ooh carefulPhil.

these pumps are designed to be submerged when running and this is ok because there is no oxygen to help start a fire. I think this is known as the fire triangle if memory servies me right.

NickT.
Not exactly, these pumps could be installed wherever you want as long as oxygen stay outside and fuel inside the pump. The fuel boot is like a big pipe, it's like the morphing between a tore and a cup... Wink

The DeLorean is very close to the Renault R30 which have 2 pumps, the first one is a "low pressure" and is located inside the fuel tank to feed the second "high pressure" pump...
DeLoreany yours,

Chris.
#04271.
Thanks for the info guys Big Grin . I've done some investigating and so far discovered that the fuel pick-up hose had a tear at the top where it was jubilee clipped onto the fuel pump. Maybe the pump was also pulling through air as well as petrol, causing it to make a slight noise?

I also found that the filter screen in the baffle was slightly torn (and possibly non original spec) and that there was some very fine dirt/silt in the bottom of the tank.

Unfortunately at this point rain stopped play Sad but the next thing to do is get the fuel tank out a give it a full clean before re-assembling everything.

Anyone know where can I get hold of some acetone to clean the tank?

Cheers,
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
sounds like you have found the cause phil.

new pipe (woth spring in) and a good clean out should do wonders.

enjoy.

Nick.
Phil Peters Wrote:Thanks for the info guys Big Grin . I've done some investigating and so far discovered that the fuel pick-up hose had a tear at the top where it was jubilee clipped onto the fuel pump. Maybe the pump was also pulling through air as well as petrol, causing it to make a slight noise?

I also found that the filter screen in the baffle was slightly torn (and possibly non original spec) and that there was some very fine dirt/silt in the bottom of the tank.

Unfortunately at this point rain stopped play Sad but the next thing to do is get the fuel tank out a give it a full clean before re-assembling everything.

Anyone know where can I get hold of some acetone to clean the tank?

Cheers,

Friend i know buys stuff from these guys:-

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/Cat_Discount ... _4863.html

you might want to consider one of these...

[Image: fuel-baffle-kit-new-2_small.jpg]

Im still very happy with it. There was a discussion on the old forum some time ago about it.

FWIW ChrisP still has some NOS tanks i believe....
bozzzydmc Wrote:Friend i know buys stuff from these guys:-

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/Cat_Discount ... _4863.html

Nice one, cheers for that Mike, I'll look into it. Big Grin

Really looking forward to getting everything back together then getting back out on the road. VIN# 4400 has been stuck in the garage for one reason or another since we got back from Lotus :roll:
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
yeah i know that feeling !

Nick.
NickT Wrote:yeah i know that feeling !

Nick.

If you didnt have a job you would have had the time and money to sort it out before now Smile Smile