Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imported project car in Kent
Hi Steven.
I live in Canterbury, just down the road. Believe I met you at my friends wedding last year. Can't remember the exact connection but maybe your son goes to the school my friends wife teaches, but I may be mistaken.
Feel free to come over to take a look. As you can see it is in a sorry state, I never realised it would be so hard work just to dismantle it!
Yeah, that sounds good. It was indeed Chris Abbotts wedding, I was DJing at it, pity really, I would've preferred to have had a better look at the car!
I'm free mainly at the weekends, at the moment at least. I'll PM you my number.
Possibly the biggest surprise, the binnacle, although chewed by rats, came off in one piece!
bttf car Wrote:thats great maybe you can help me get mine off, as i need to change my speedo to a 95 mph to make screen correct, it will arrive soon from the usa

It's easy Steve.

See this guide.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
That's right. Not too tricky, just getting the ratchets into the tight spaces can be a fiddle. Most of the screws in mine were rusty so took a bit of doing. What speedo does your current one have? I may be needing a replacement!
Just a couple more pics of the project. At the moment there has been little rebuilding done, just dismantling and replacement of lots of the wiring. Pretty much every part removed needs quite a bit of work. Those must have been pretty fat mice/rats.
One pic also shows the rear panels before and after re-colouring.
Shock What happened to the dash?

The redyed vinyl looks good, what did you use to do it?
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
holy crap, what happened to that!! looks like summats had your dash for lunch!!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Blooming heck…..make me realise that vin 522's re-comisising was a cakewalk compared to this little lot!!

Sun does a lot of damage!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
It was the sun, and those damn mice!!!
Here's a pic of the spray I used. I know it says do a few coats, but the trick is literally loads of coats, but very (and I mean very) thin coats. The first should look like a little bit of a splatter and that is all, this ensures the finished product will flex and not crack or flake. I used almost a can on just these 2 panels, although I did the spraying outside so think the wind took quite a lot of the paint away. There is a lighter version of the grey, but I quite like the darker look, plus as I am having to either re-cover or re-paint every panel, so although it doesn't exactly match the original colour, it's not a problem.
Thanks for posting that up, it certainly has done a great job!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I think it looks great.

Funnily enough it was Quentin Willson who showed me how to use aerosol paint properly. "do it from a long way off and very very light coats". (this photo was taken at the Cars the Stars Filming, the day before he "stabbed us in the back" in the Daily Mirror) .

But then again he has probably had lots of experience bodging up the outside paintwork of cars!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Funnily enough I happened across that epsiode of the Cars the Star on You Tube last night (hadn't ever seen it before). Mr Wilson certainly dislikes both the car and Mr DeLorean doesn't he? He was very upset with both of them - wasn't he?
I think it is fair to say that John DeLorean the engineer got badly lost along the way, and all that money corrupted him somewhat. And tbh the final product was not what it could, and should, have been.
But to not even acknowledge that the car is a great looking old hector in the first place is a bit baffling to me (if you love cars then you have to ackowledge that i think). Unless he is saying that most of giugiaro's designs are duffers that is?

Who knows for sure? I do remember him on Watchdog having bought a dodgy Rolex on ebay. He thought he had bagged himself a bargain, but ended up with a Turkish fake and no refund. Very sad he was too :lol:
Stephen Partt
Bristol
SteveyP Wrote:Who knows for sure? I do remember him on Watchdog having bought a dodgy Rolex on ebay. He thought he had bagged himself a bargain, but ended up with a Turkish fake and no refund. Very sad he was too :lol:
I wonder if he quipped the 'we're not, talking quality here, far from it.' line about the watch too :wink:
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
He could have used that phrase to describe him old Bently/ Roller to turned up in, it broke down between venues and had to be "recovered'.

One can only hope that it was covered by one of his dodgy warrantees !
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian