Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
None DMC Tech help question
None DeLorean related, so if not interested, you can stop reading here.

My Civic has a few issues.

1. Worn shock on NSR (being told I should replace both if one is going/gone)
2. Worn wheel bearing on (i think) OSR
3. AC Compressor needs replacing (i think - since right now the whole AC system keeps cutting in and out every 20 secs or so, repeatedly, even with a full charge of gas and oil)
4. If I'm to replace the compressor from 3. Then i should also replace the dryer for the AC too.

I'm just putting out a hypothetical question. IF i was to source and buy all the parts (around £600 or so) does anyone have the interest or capability of helping me do the work necessary myself, rather than paying a garage to do it for me? I'm not asking right now, i'm just wondering if I WAS to ask, then WHO I could ask....

I'm in Rugby, so wouldn't really be wanting to travel much more than about 60-90 mins in any direction from here. I would have a bit of an issue for instance, if I couldn't drive the car home again if the work was going to spread out over more than 1 day.

I have a good tool kit, with some useful tools, but i'm not sure ALL that would be required. I DO have a set of motorcycle spring compressors, which i've never used, but bought to do LEX's front spring replacements, but chickened out and gave it to the garage in the end.

I'm spending a fortune on garage bills, so have been trying to tackle more and more myself this year, but I still have my limits right now, which without some confident support, i'm reluctant to push through.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Though not an expert on Honda Civic's most rear shocks (on any car) are a doddle to do, I would have thought that you would be able to do those yourself. Again not sure on Civic's but they probably don't need the spring's removing do they? The wheel bearing may be simple or difficult, sorry for the rubbish reply! Likewise with the compressor, if you did the evaporator yourself 'assuming' you can get to it then it should just be a simple swap I would have thought. At least that way you can get some of it done yourself and reduce the cost's if you need to pay to have the wheel bearing done for example.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Rissy,
I would replace the dryer if your going to replace the compressor. Depending on how easy it is to replace, leave fitting the dryer to the last job before getting the system recharged as it is full of moisture absorbing material.

Wheel bearings may involve the use of a hydraulic press to get the old bearing out press in the new one. I agree with Chris on these. Some may be easy others will be a pain in the butt.
You can buy a press (Machine Mart ) but that's going to cost and how often will it be used? Try sweet talking a local garage to see if they will press out the old bearing and put the new one in for you. Offer beer/money :wink:

I would offer to help but I am all over the country at the moment , 3 installs at 3 different hospitals and guess what they all want them doing at the same time!

Regards
Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Might not be the compressor - if that was up the creek, I wouldn't expect it to cut in and out constantly - it would just spin and never generate pressure. Sounds more like a control side problem (if it were a DeLorean, I'd blame one of the switches - can't imagine it'd be much more complex).
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Hi Rissy

depending on the year ......

1)rear shock easy to change....many will suggest you pair up shocks ie gas shock both sides you don't want hydraulic & gas opposite sides...easy fitment......fit same as opposite side. I always fit shocks as pairs.

2)wheel bearing if its an older car suggest a complete hub/drum from the breakers...no pressing in or out. If you opt to fit a new bearing don't be surprised if it needs anywhere up to 8 tonne of pressure to push out...then bang out it goes relatively easy. best get a used hub.. :wink: if new a good make... SKF would be the best IMO

3&4)...not knowing the year of the civic...firstly check the pollen filter....the filter condition will determine the gas pressures through the system....this time of year they can be blocked solid ...you wouldn't even notice the deterioration.
Id say in 3 years Ive only come across 2 failed compressors...the customers didn't replace them ...too expensive.... get a different civic belt to suit no aircon option leaving the aircon comp idle....have seen LOTS of blocked pollen filters causing this kind of problem.

regards
Dave
Good point on the pollen filters. A good few years ago now the company I worked for had a pair of Merc Sprinter vans.
They did not have aircon. However the heaters were rubbish. Every time they went in for service we always asked the garage to check the heaters. Every time they said they found nothing wrong.
One day the lads had had enough of freezing and said you play around with old cars see if you can sort the heaters!
Upon close inspection I noticed a Velcro secured area of sound deadening on the firewall. Upon removing this there was a removable plastic cover into the air duct system. And there was a pollen filter, totally clogged!
Never seen a pollen filter with out aircon before.
A very overlooked item.

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
I've changed the cabin filter in the car in the past. Is this not the same as the pollen filter? I thought it was one in the same thing?? Type Civic is a 1999 MB6 1.8VTi as in my signature. I'm not sure all round how tricky it is to do things like shocks, or bearings on these cars. I've never done it. The rear bearings seem to come as a kit though, which has the bearing inside a hub type thing which also incorporates the toothed section for the ABS to work. It seems to be held on to the car by way of 4 bolts according to the pictures i've seen of the kit on the net....? This has led me to think/believe that there is no pressing out involved, maybe just having to slide off an axle? I'm not sure.

The bearing looks like the one in this video. This guy makes it look easy though, just fitting the new one in place, and i don't believe for one minute it's as easy as this....!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLQf6OJa_TI
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Yes pollen and cabin filter one in the same. That rear bearing does not look to bad to change. I note in the video he cuts part of the old one off with a grinder so you need to be careful with that operation.

I would suggest picking up the Haynes workshop manual for the car. Then you can check out the method involved and any parts you need before hand.

http://www.npautoparts.co.uk/car-mainten...g+ads#2147

Regards
Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
Yeah I have the Haynes manual. It was one of the first things I bought after buying the car in 2004.

I don't have a big enough socket for the centre shaft nut, and I only have a dremel, not an angle grinder...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
buy an angle grinder? you can get one for around £15 from B&Q, same with the socket, get to your local tool shop and buy it...