Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delorean Found from my childhood for sale in my Town
hi

thank you, very kind of you.

yes would like to sometime, hes only six and already asks lots of questions about cars etc, and has seen all three films (my dvd set lives now in his room!)

a few tips....yes rebuild calipers, not too much to blact and rebuild.

same goes for master cyclinder, rebuild your own for a few quid with a kit off ebay.

the valley of death is under the metering/distribution unit (i assume you mechanic will be up on a prv), while in there i cleaned mine out, fitted new water pump (quite easy) then new water pipe and other rubber pipes in there.
website specialTauto has some good kits you can buy.
then the valley of death i really cleaned mine up, then painted with high temp blue paint. (water has been known to get in this area, lie there and eat into your engine block)

new brake discs are cheap enough but only really change if they are past it. if the steering feels loose/sloppy it will need a new o ring at the bulkhead, bit of a pig to do as the steering column has to come out.

Also, another tip......new fuel pumps are quite cheap at £80-£100 or so. but the conection onto them is a weak point (mine blew off spraying fuel everywhere)
there is a company over here who supply racing banjo bolts and fittings that cannot come loose, worked a trat and i knew that the pressure could not blow the fuel line of the pump outlet, this was well worth the few quid.

i assume you will know about the TABS that is a fairly urgent job to be done once you start driving the car much.

anyway welcome to the world of Delorean ownership, you will stare at it in your garage thinking is it really yours!!
and mobbed when you stop anywhere.

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hi Steve S, my mechanic has done many a restoration, mainly Fords and Vauxhalls. He has advised me to refurb as much as possible therefore the car car remains as original as it can and it keeps cost down. He suggested skimming the brakediscs and rebuilding the calipers.

I know new brakelines are needed, he has only had a quick glance at the car when it was on the ramp when he was working at the engine. Mine is a slow time project for him as he has his day to day customers to attend too.

Not too sure what the situation is with the engine at the mo, I am popping up on Saturday to see the car so I might have an update by then. He has told me not to worry as he will get the engine going, I've great faith in him and I know the car is with the right man for the job Smile
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
Chris Williams Wrote:Glad everything went well, must have caused a stir on that road with a BTTF DeLorean and a normal one being there! Fingers crossed for getting the engine un-seized I'm sure he will get it done, time is the answer with that one..., That exhaust looks huge sticking out of the back wonder what the story is with that?
Good luck with the car I'm sure it will be a experience that you will enjoy Smile
Chris

The cars did cause quite s stir, people where out of their houses looking at the cars....before and after is how I would describe it Wink

We heard people going there's the BTTF car, ohhh look there's another one as mine passed by on a trailer. The reaction up the motorway and at services was great, people photographing the car, thumbs up tooting of horns etc one fella said to me is that a Delorean? I have never seen one in real life he said...I was a bit miffed at this, but in Northern Ireland despite there being a small number of the cars they are probably more seen on the roads and at shows than on the mainland.

Best one was on the boat home, and old man from Belfast must have been 60 odd if not in his 70's looked at the car and said what is that car? I said a Delorean and he goes ohh is that a Delorean....what rock was he living under that last 30 odd years?

The exhausts are bolt on Exhaust tips, I like them (dont know why) but I want the original look so they will come off at some stage....top priority is to get the car running and then to MOT standard....as you say it will take time, which I hope I have plenty of as I want to enjoy this car for a long long time.
DMCNI Wrote:The exhausts are bolt on Exhaust tips, I like them (dont know why) but I want the original look so they will come off at some stage....

Unless you want to keep them, i'd like to offer you something for them myself. I quite like them too, and might in fact like to put them on LEX. 8)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
If they come off I think I will keep them, for the simple fact they came with the car and gave it that bit of individuality.

And I hoard as well Wink