Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inside wheel damage
any idea what might have caused this damage to the inside of the front left wheel?
(looks like somethings machined out a strip around the inside rim)

this was one of the german MOT failures. (the guy from the tüv seemed to indicate that in his opinion it would need replacing)

i cant see anything that would have rubbed against it.(the speedo cable is a bit loose but i would have thought it would require something a bit more hefty than that)

anyone think there a chance it can be repaired or is it new wheel time?

[Image: 981445_10151624683065169_858256377_o.jpg]
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
Although it's difficult to tell from the picture, plus I cant look at my car to see I would suggest lower suspension arm. Perhaps the front springs have failed (if replacements) and it's now sitting to low perhaps?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
That looks like a balljoint has failed before causing the arm to drop onto the wheel.

Does it have Houston balljoints by any chance?
Vin #4087
hmm, sounds plausible. i think kev said it had had something done to the front suspension. (i think on the right hand side, but i guess the garage could have put the wheels on the other way around)

car seems to be sitting ok (i assume a suspension issue like that would be quite noticeable) cant see anything touching the wheel.

im just mostly concerned about having to replace the wheel.

i'll dig out a clearer photo.
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
Best bet is to get the wheel off to have a closer look. Perhaps Ed@DMCEU or ChrisN @PJGrday may have a second hand one you can buy.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I'd echo the ball joint falure scenario as a guess. As for replacement - I would get the wheel refurbishes including a quick turn on a lathe to tidy up the scar, then powdercoat over the top. Then it'd take an eagle-eye to spot that there was ever a problem "oh yeah, different batches do have small changes like that!"
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
marwood82 Wrote:hmm, sounds plausible. i think kev said it had had something done to the front suspension. (i think on the right hand side, but i guess the garage could have put the wheels on the other way around)

car seems to be sitting ok (i assume a suspension issue like that would be quite noticeable) cant see anything touching the wheel.

im just mostly concerned about having to replace the wheel.

i'll dig out a clearer photo.

Have a look at the balljoints to see whats fitted now - get a pic if you can.
Vin #4087
here's a shot of the suspension
[Image: 935348_10151625793460169_113979710_n.jpg]

and heres a close up of the damage

[Image: 481684_10151625795445169_1731980518_n.jpg]
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
Is the first picture with the weight still on the wheel? Although 'still' difficult to see I wonder (from what I can see) if the ball joint has been replaced recently? It does look a bit cleaner than the rest of the suspension and the wheel damage may be old damage?? Suppose the next step is to get the wheel off and see if you can see where it's been rubbing, though it does look a little shiny on the bottom of the arm below the ball joint.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Is the first picture with the weight still on the wheel? Although 'still' difficult to see I wonder (from what I can see) if the ball joint has been replaced recently? It does look a bit cleaner than the rest of the suspension and the wheel damage may be old damage?? Suppose the next step is to get the wheel off and see if you can see where it's been rubbing, though it does look a little shiny on the bottom of the arm below the ball joint.
Chris

yes it is with weight on. i saw the shine on the arm and had a closer look but its a very thin nic right on the edge of it, i would have expected more damage if it was that.

i grabbed a shot of the passengers side and i think its a bit clearer now
[Image: 936199_10151625822170169_1884828503_n.jpg]

the lower control arm looks like its had something done to it. im figuring thats what did the damage, but when the wheels were put back after the repair they ended up being swapped round.
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
ok, scratch that info, chris you have a good eye. it seems the lower arm on the drivers side (the side with the damaged wheel) was replaced. which i guess probably explains it.

thats ok then, my main concern was that i have to drive it 3 hours south to Augsburg for the repairs for the tüv so wouldn't want to do that if im machining the inside of the front wheel the entire way!

i'll contact Ed and Chris N and about a possible replacement rim.
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
See about getting the wheel reburbed as said above.
Vin #4087
The original arms were galvanised and powdercoated at the same time as the chassis. They also boobed and did the fuel tank plate in blck - is it still like that?
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Quote:The original arms were galvanised and powdercoated at the same time as the chassis
Now you look at it the P/X side is a grey like the frame where as the drivers side is different. Guess as has been wrote it must have been replaced. Wonder if the ball joint did fail and it damaged the LCA so much it required replacing, or perhaps the ball joint hole was enlarged to much to get a replacement in? be interesting to know the story.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Perhaps the wheel fell off..loose wheel nuts ?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian