Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DMC EU Inner & Outer Door Seal Kit For Sale
I have a brand new inner & outer door seal kit for sale from DMC EU. I bought a few extra bits & pieces that I didn't need for the car & these are surplus.

Amounts to £137.25 worth of kit, if someone wants them I'll be happy to let them go for £100 + postage. Smile
...I might have been interested in the inner seals, but i'm even hesitating suggesting splitting the set up since i'm not even sure if Ed's would fit LEX, from what i'm being led to understand...?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
What have you been led to understand :?:
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
are these ones that Ed has had specially made, or are they Renault van rear door seals?

We've been trying various sorts on #2292, but cant find anything that will allow the door
to shut properly, but my old seals are knacked (the big thick ones - inner?) and water pours
in at every opportunity Sad
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
stunned_monkey Wrote:What have you been led to understand :?:

I've been led to believe a few things:

1. The cross-section shape of some of the seals is not correct, and this causes problems with doors closing. (which ones these are, i'm not sure)
2. Some seals are of a different size, as well as potential shape, also meaning they are too big for the doors to close on to them properly
3. The rubber being used in some of the seals are not soft enough, meaning they do not compress properly, ans this also gives problems trying to close the doors on to them.
4. The gripper part of some seals is not wide enough to fit over the width of the fibreglass to hold the seals into place around the doors, meaning the either never fit, or are mis-shapen once squeezed over, and as a result, distort, and always come away with the door when you open the doors again.
5. The gripper part, if even wide enough to fit over the fibreglass, are not long enough, meaning they are not gripping the fibreglass with nearly enough grip, so once again, as in 4. they eventually let go, or continually slide right off the fibreglass, particularly when opening the doors.

Basically, i've been led to believe its an utter minefield of experimentation, which could be costly. No-one wants a sort of maybe, they want a definite, first time. This is why i've been holding off committing to any of the sourced products, for fear of wasting my money. I've been looking round sources from stalls etc with the likes of RichH when are car shows etc, but no-one seems to stock the right stuff even to try a sample of for a try out...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
this is exactly what we're finding Rissy, we always understood that the stuff Dave had was from
a Renault Master (Vauxhall Movano) - we tried the seals on Phill's Vauxhall Vivaro to see if they
were a match, as you'd assume that two similar vans from the same manufacturer would have the
same door seals, but the Vivaro ones act as you say Rissy, and the door doesnt shut properly - the
seals aren't soft enough even though the profile looks about right.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Guinney1971 Wrote:are these ones that Ed has had specially made, or are they Renault van rear door seals?

We've been trying various sorts on #2292, but cant find anything that will allow the door
to shut properly, but my old seals are knacked (the big thick ones - inner?) and water pours
in at every opportunity Sad

Hi Claire,

I'm not too sure on that to be honest. They were bought as part of a weatherstrip kit & I didn't require the inner or outer seals so haven't given it huch thought. The profile of them is definitely lower than the current ones on my car which are not original & they're the only ones on Ed's site currently.

I'll take a quick photo in a second... Smile
Rissy Wrote:
stunned_monkey Wrote:What have you been led to understand :?:
Basically, i've been led to believe its an utter minefield of experimentation, which could be costly. No-one wants a sort of maybe, they want a definite, first time. This is why i've been holding off committing to any of the sourced products, for fear of wasting my money. I've been looking round sources from stalls etc with the likes of RichH when are car shows etc, but no-one seems to stock the right stuff even to try a sample of for a try out...

Hi Rissy! Hope you're well buddy?

Sounds about right! I don't really have a reference point to compare the seals to as the ones on my car are definitely not original. That being said, the profile of the seal itself is smaller than the current ones on my car which would lead me to believe that theywould allow the door to close easier & also the slotted gripper section appears to be about 2mm shorter than my current ones so I'm not sure how that would affect their ability to grip the fibreglass which could lead to the slipping off as you have mentioned.

Realised I forgot to reply to your tyre photos btw! I really like the white lettering but wow, it almost looks like it would be a full-time job to keep fresh! :o
A couple of photos, sorry for the massive dimensions, they're straight from my phone...
The upper part looks right but the sides of the grip don't look quite long enough to me...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
PS - Scrapyard find of a close (tho' not exact) match was a Metro lower boot seal, but salvaged pieces are nowhere near long enough.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
The problem isn't that there's a "right" seal out there, it's that the fit of the doors varies so chuffing much. Can I have a show of hands please of any DeLorean owner whose car has doors that achieve all of the following:

1 - don't exhibit wind noise
2 - are easy to close without a hard slam
3 - don't clonk on either striker pin when being closed
4 - don't leak
5 - don't rattle
6 - don't tear the inner seal at the top of the A pillar
7 - don't pull off the B pillar door trim and/or wear through it exposing the foam underneath
8 - don't see the door seal constantly falling off along the sill.
9 - as 8 but where the pin switches are

Go on, I dare you.... Mr Green
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Okay then S3Envy (real name?). So lets hypothesize then. If one were interested in only the inner seals then, would oneself be interested in selling just these inner seals to one? And if so, for how much would oneself be looking to receive for said inner seals from one?

P.S. Tyre paint could become a full time job if perfection was wanted all the time, but TBH, i just touch up every so often when the mood takes me on a nice sunny day and it's gonna get me out in it to absorb some UV and warmth. It's quite therapeutic and relaxing, and rewarding doing it in this way. :wink:

P.P.S How come you're not keeping them yourself for such a time where you might then need them?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
stunned_monkey Wrote:1 - don't exhibit wind noise
2 - are easy to close without a hard slam
3 - don't clonk on either striker pin when being closed
4 - don't leak
5 - don't rattle
6 - don't tear the inner seal at the top of the A pillar
7 - don't pull off the B pillar door trim and/or wear through it exposing the foam underneath
8 - don't see the door seal constantly falling off along the sill.
9 - as 8 but where the pin switches are

Go on, I dare you.... Mr Green

1. - Err, hard to tell - it's drowned out by the winscreen top strip!
2. - Bing!
3. - Bing!
4. - Bing! - (Providing you don't aim a jet wash at the top :roll:
5. - Bi.. Well the passenger door does a bit
6. - Sigh.....oh well
7. - Bing!
8. - Grrr
9. - Never had that problem

Also add to that list

10. - Aren't on the pi**
11. - Have an equal gap front and rear
12. - Are as easy to close from the inside as the outside
13. - Don't catch the top T Panel when opening

Oh the list goes on.....and on.....and on.....
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Rissy Wrote:Okay then S3Envy (real name?). So lets hypothesize then. If one were interested in only the inner seals then, would oneself be interested in selling just these inner seals to one? And if so, for how much would oneself be looking to receive for said inner seals from one?

P.S. Tyre paint could become a full time job if perfection was wanted all the time, but TBH, i just touch up every so often when the mood takes me on a nice sunny day and it's gonna get me out in it to absorb some UV and warmth. It's quite therapeutic and relaxing, and rewarding doing it in this way. :wink:

P.P.S How come you're not keeping them yourself for such a time where you might then need them?

Haha! Okay, so 'S3Envy' isn't my "real name", it's Nick... (I really do need to update my signature, I shall do that now!)

I would be interested in selling them separately, however, I believe I may have a buyer now & then another who has also asked whether I would be prepared to split the set.

The only reason I'm not keeping them for myself is that I'm spending & have spent so much on the car as it is already, it makes more sense to sell them & put the money towards something that needs doing rather than having spares sitting around. Not to mention, the standard injectors on the Audi 'S3' in my username, which is kicking out just over 400bhp at the moment have let go, so the money would be used to go towards RS4 injectors for that. Big Grin