Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first gear selection problem
im having real issues getting into first gear.

2nd 3rd 4th 5th and reverse are all fine, but when changing into first, i mostly don't get anything(occasionally a bit of grinding), but if i hold the stick in place and bring the clutch up slowly whilst keeping the revs up it will then engage 1st.

any suggestions as to the problem?

thanks

Simon.
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
Gear selection pivot probably needs adjusting due to a stretched cable or something. Stunned Monkey has a youtube video explaining the operation of this part of the car, and explains how to adjust it upon certain gear selection difficulties... I can't put up a link until I'm back home on my own internet connection...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
yeah,i had a look at that earlier its a very good clip.

im going to remove the trim around the shifter later and see if its misaligned(best rule out the simple things first).
not sure if that will be it though as it only affects 1st. the others seem fine.
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
Try lifting the stick as if for reverse to give you a little more "pull" - however what you describe sounds more like a bad synchro or something wrong with the lever mechanism (as opposed to the cable). Could well be a loose pivot bolt as Chris said.

Edt: AH - now things become clearer - don't forget your car was an automatic which has been converted.... All bets are suddenly off as it depends heavily on how the gearstick has been mounted
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:Try lifting the stick as if for reverse to give you a little more "pull" - however what you describe sounds more like a bad synchro or something wrong with the lever mechanism (as opposed to the cable). Could well be a loose pivot bolt as Chris said.

good idea, i'll give lifting the stick a go as it would be a bit daft to start pulling bits apart if its only the cable. though, as i said, i don't seem to have issues moving the stick through the gate, i can move it to where i think first should be, though im not 100% sure you get the same 'clunk' as when putting it into the other gears. (a mate is bringing a set of ramps tomorrow so i'll get the back up and have a look whats going on underneath when shifting)

stunned_monkey Wrote:Edt: AH - now things become clearer - don't forget your car was an automatic which has been converted.... All bets are suddenly off as it depends heavily on how the gearstick has been mounted

yes, i'll get in touch with Al and ask about the conversion to manual.

i also know its had a new clutch on it recently so whether that's related or not i don't know, but if it was clutch related i would have thought it would have affected all the gears?
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
Reverse is usually the main problem if the clutch isn't disengaging properly.

What you describe is very common for 2nd gear, but not first. Odd.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
right, an update:

a bit of playing around last night i have managed to get first to consistently engage.

you have to pull the stick as far towards you as it will go and then push forward firmly as far as it will go and then it engages.

written down it sounds obvious but what i mean is that you can be much more vague when pulling the stick towards you with 2nd and when pushing it forwards putting into 3rd.
1st you need to be more forcefull (though not quite 'ramming' it into gear)

i didnt get a chance to take the cover off yesterday, i'll try that later
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
Sounds like it may be a simple rod adjustment to give you a bit more throw
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars