Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better pictures for Throttle De-Ice Recall?
Next on the agenda is fitting the throttle de-ice recall kit! However the pictures in the service bulletin are atrocious!

Anybody have links to (or able to capture) better pictures of installation procedure?
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
As far as I know, its a crappy bit of black painted aluminium that picks up a convenient bolt and covers the throttle spool...to stop it filling with icy water, freezing and jamming the throttle open. Not very likely in this country!
There are some stainless ones available if you feel the need for one....some with DMC on, which look quite nice.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I have the kit (Accidentally ordered the fancy stainless steel one instead of the cheaper one, doh!) and can see how to fit the cover plate, but the re-threading of the throttle cable is the part I'm having difficulty following.

I'm also not sure if my SS Throttle cover is manufactured properly, as it doesn't properly bolt on to the engine as shown in the service bulletin (I attempted to fit it last night, but with the plate in place the bolt would not go in at the correct angle).
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
This is what the black one looks like.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I was able to bolt mine on OK, but I needed to bend it a little, as you say, it downs really line up. (but you do it after the antifreeze part).

Honestly, I found it impossible to get the antifreeze to go down the cable shield. If I used a tube that was small enough to fit in the sheath, then it was too narrow to pour the a/f down

I had broken my cable, so I found it easier to remove the old one, and feed a new one down the sheath from the engine end, and prefeed it through a bath of a/f to coat it. Driven it in -5C weather since then and all seem OK
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743