Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting Problems
Steve,

Please don't say that you have ordered the Special-T-Auto fuel baffle bits and pieces. It is described as an improvement over the original. It is a budget solution and the performance of it is reflected in the price. In my case all I had was one nut that had come off from the bottom of the tank that held the baffle in place. At the time I thought there were more issues but tightening the nut again (having fished it out of the tank first) would have been the best and quickest solution. I ordered the Special-T-Auto baffle kit and the car still bunny hopped after installation. I then thought okay lets improve the kit and started to modify parts of my old baffle to improve the Special-T-Auto version. It improved performance but on a low tank of fuel (which is the best way to test it) accelerating hard still resulted in fuel starvation. DMCH still have all the bits you will need. Send back the Special-T-Auto kit and go OEM it works perfectly!!!
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
But there again on the flip side, i have had one of these in my car for over 12 months and have forgotten all about my fuel delivery problems the OEM set up can give. Origionally, despite a brand new fuel pick up hose, internal 'spring' fix and countless removals and replacements to check for correct fit it still had the same pick up problem. But then since the Special T baffle, never once has my car stuttered or starved from the lack of fuel in that time and at any fuel level. (Including Donington race track were i was running on the fuel empty light) I dont remember my fuel pump buzzing like some some Jurassic bee in the summer months either.

Come fuel filter replacement time i will once again be glad i dont have to have mickey mouse arms to replace it either Smile

....thats my 2p Smile
Mike, I am glad then that the system can work. The version I had had been installed properly but later I found that the design had been modified to enable better fuel catchment within the baffle itself. John Hervey had mentioned at the time that he had not had many returns. I am very happy with the setup I now have. Not a single hiccup/stutter since and there have been a fair few times where I have been nearly running on fumes and performance has still been spot on :wink:
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Arrh...now thats jogged something in the back of my mind, i believe some of the 'earlier' fuel filters supplied didnt have a rigid plastic 'mesh' inside meaning that if the pump / filter arrangement was pushed down a little too far the filter could be 'squashed' and restricted on the bottom of the tank. I was told to check my filter for this 'mesh' perhaps by John H? and also to remove the fuel guage to check how close the filter was to the bottom of the tank / baffle.

Anyhow Im glad we have both sorted that out, its not nice sticking your hands into a tank of petrol time and time again :roll: Smile