Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice Please....This Vacuum Powered flap
This is from my previous topic....
[Image: IMG106.jpg]

When I took my heater box out i didnt realise this wasnt connected to anything and its apparent it hasnt for some time. A previous owner obviously took a t piece and a length of pipe out and made it redundant.

It doesnt work anyway so it will have to replace it if I want it working.... Question is, why has it been disconnected in the first place and how important is it? Is it a know failure point or does is get clogged etc?

I know exactly how to plumb it back in but if theres no point I wont bother.....

Advice please guys!
That's the air recycling flap. When the mode switch is set to 'max' it opens up so that cooled air from inside the cabin is recycled and cooled even more. On any other setting the flap is closed to use fresh air from outside...
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Thanks Richard.... but have you not got the operation the wrong way around? My flap is closed by default and air sucking at the actuator should open the flap.

After greasing the flap pivot points it becomes apparent the flap is also sprung but to the closed position.

As its been disconnected then its never worked since ive had it but with the flap shut surely thats then continuously recycling the cabin air.... And with the flap removed/open theres leaves and daylight in the recess....

Is this an oversight, is my flap sprung wrong, or have you mixed up the modes?

Cheers Rich... see you Saturday

Ben
Not wrong the wrong way round, no.

Quote:After greasing the flap pivot points it becomes apparent the flap is also sprung but to the closed position.

That's right

Quote:but with the flap shut surely thats then continuously recycling the cabin air

Nope, when the flap is closed, fresh air comes in from the outside...

If you look at your photo, you see the flap is in the closed position. The rusty metal that you see, (which should be covered in foam) faces into the cabin. In this closed position, air must be pulled from outside. When the flap is open, the flap moves across, to block the outside intake and a hole opens up into the cabin....

See you Saturday chap!
I get you now! Thanks Rich.... Question is is it that important? Its 62 usd for a complete flap assembly, and a couple of dollars for the missing t piece and length of pipe thats missing... so lets just say about 50-60 quid will make that part new.

Think I will do it anyway...

Unless i can source one more locally... i already have almost 1000 dollar shopping list for John Hervey but I dont think he does these...

Cheers buddy

Ben
Why replace it? Does the vacuum actuator work?

Mine was in the same condition as yours. I just stripped it apart, cleaned it up and painted it,

I applied a foam strip around the edges (I didn't see the point in covering the whole flap in foam)

The whole lot didn't cost me anything since I already had the paint and foam strip....
No Richard, the actuator does not work..... at least I dont think it does.

On all the other actuator powered flaps I can suck on the pipes and have them operate.

On this one, even if I open the flap fully against the spring and suck the death out of the vacuum pipe, the door springs closed.

And because it seems that the actuator isnt available by itself , or the other related parts for that matter, then buying a complete new unit seemed the only option.

I dont know if the actuator can be saved as its probably the rubber diaphram which is rotten, therefore rendering the actuator unsalvageable....

Cheers Rich