Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD rebuild
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Better still, rather than hacking the arch to pieces, source some lower profile part worn tyres.

They dont have to be so wide either.

Are you suggesting I 'stance' the trailer with stretched tires? Not quite the look I was going for...

Alas sacrifices will have to be made to get this thing to Dorset next week. Specifically, due to time and money constraints the deck will be spray-painted grotty wood instead of aluminium tread plate, the rear light towers will be spray-painted grotty wood instead of welded brushed stainless, the interior will not be carpeted and it will not have a set of DeLorean side marker lights fitted. Hopefully still worth bringing.
it will be great to have you in Dorset no matter what.

This is a social Delorean OC UK event first and foremost, we dont judge
people or their cars, we're all here for the fun and enjoyment Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Guinney1971 Wrote:it will be great to have you in Dorset no matter what.

This is a social Delorean OC UK event first and foremost, we dont judge
people or their cars, we're all here for the fun and enjoyment Smile

Ah but think of the photo opportunities Smile
Chris Hawes Wrote:why not cut the wheel arch plastic up the middle with a Dremel (it'll give a nice neat straight line) and then part the wheel arch. You can then fill the gap with shaped plastic or none corrodable metal

Part 1 done, part 2 pending

[Image: mudguards_zps48bf9fd9.jpg]

Rear light towers under construction. Rear panel gradient is 3:1, AFAIK this matches the designed mounting inclination for the DeLorean tail lights.

[Image: rear-towers_zps9428e06b.jpg]
It's a race against the clock to get it road-worthy for next Friday, not helped by the fact that (a) my 4x4 still hasn't passed MOT and (b) neighbours drains blocked up this weekend and flooded our patio with foul waste, had to go round and rod it for them.

Anyway roof is on;

[Image: roof_zps717473d9.jpg]

two of the three walls are up (accidentally cracked a window pane on the third, waiting for a replacement);

[Image: walls_zps93560c8c.jpg]

and the flashy thing on the top is flashing on command;

[Image: signal-light_zpsefe7eb35.jpg]
Spectacular!
that is too cool !!! Big Grin
Chris Hawes Wrote:To create a larger wheel arch rather than cut the edges off (the circumference will still look wrong due to it being sized for a smaller wheel) why not cut the wheel arch plastic up the middle with a Dremel (it'll give a nice neat straight line) and then part the wheel arch. You can then fill the gap with shaped plastic or none corrodable metal to give the wheel arch a shape more in keeping with the larger wheel it's to shroud. You don't want mud/spray all over you nicely painted Tardis Big Grin

Well that was about the most labour intensive way to widen plastic wheel arches possible, save chiseling new ones out of a granite block. To be fair my choice of inflexible filler material was largely responsible.

[Image: mudguards-incomplete_zps26cf24bc.jpg]

[Image: mudguard_zps14a2081c.jpg]

Also ended up using a whole pot of filler. Nearly half of it went on the area where I had to carve out more clearance; I centered the TARDIS structure on the chassis, but I failed to check that the chassis was centered on the axle before I started. As such about 15mm had to come off one side of the base to prevent wheel rubbing.

[Image: filler_zpsa39dc1e9.jpg]
Construction complete in time for the DOC UK event. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about the tow vehicle; a vital fuel system part was delayed until Monday. Alas without the VehiCROSS I have no way to get to the event and had to miss it, for the second year running. Very disappointing for my wife and I, and we are still out the full hotel fees.

Oh well, for what it's worth;

[Image: tardis-complete_zps76207c40.jpg]

[Image: front-lit_zpsd084754e.jpg]

[Image: rear-lit_zps7341f821.jpg]

Branding is very important of course;

[Image: trailer-branding_zpsce4f636d.jpg]

As is security;

[Image: tardis-key_zps65722484.jpg]

Final implementation of Chris Hawes mudguard suggestion;

[Image: wheel-done_zps63f92334.jpg]

Lamp test;

[Image: lamp-test_zpsbf69c843.jpg]
such a shame you couldnt get to Dorset, but fully understand why and how frustrating it must be for you and Mrs Starglider.

Well, we're now well on the way to planning next years shindig in East Anglia, which has been at the plotting stage for over a
year now, so fingers crossed for third time lucky?
Tuning on AURYN has finally been completed; took over five months due to the KMS ECU being defective (this is why Ed burned through four sets of coils trying to tune the car). I was hoping to get over there next week to pick up the car, although it looks like I'll be delayed another week.

In the mean time, I am continuing to slowly restore/upgrade my VehiCROSS, just swapped out the JDM wheels for stripped+recoated USDM wheels;

[Image: wheel-swap_zps6d0f446d.jpg]

[Image: wheel-swap-done_zpsc2f59c1f.jpg]

The TARDIS trailer is off the blocks and ready to go; I would have had it out for a test drive today, except that I seem to have lost my 25mm socket /and/ my 25mm spanner (just that size, strangely) and couldn't tighten the bolts holding the tow ball on.
I'm working on DW now and have the current TARDIS flatpacked at my desk, so if you need any reference (within reason) let me know.
Well, four months since the last update. I finally got AURYN back from the DMC Europe. Engine, steering, brakes and gearbox are all now working. Remaining work is essentially electrical and cosmetic. I don't know if it will be ready by August but I'll try.

The TARDIS trailer was stuck on my drive until this month, but I had it out for its first test run on the M25 / M3 last Sunday. It's stable up to 60 MPH although I think I'll be keeping to 50. I was only on the motorway for 40 minutes but I had a half-dozen SUVs full of cheering kids doing slow passes, and a Mercedes in front that braked so hard it forced me to undertake just so they could do a camera pass. Got a lot of attention tooling around the Wokingham one way system as well, a small crowd of people taking photos of themselves next to it when I popped into Tescos for some salad and at the petrol station the police stopped me so they could take more pictures. That's with the VehiCROSS (a vehicle of interest only to obscure SUV nerds) towing it, I suspect towing it with the DMC-12 would be even crazier. Chris hopes to finally have time to weld up the stainless back boxes this month, which will be nice as the fibreboard ones are looking pretty tatty.

Apologies that I have not been around on the forum recently. With the combination of my wife's health issues, not making progress on the DeLorean and having to terminate my employment I became a little depressed. All three issues are resolved now though.
Quote:Apologies that I have not been around on the forum recently. With the combination of my wife's health issues, not making progress on the DeLorean and having to terminate my employment I became a little depressed. All three issues are resolved now though.
No apologies required, Life has far more important things than cars to deal with. Glad to hear things are back on track.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Good to hear things have turned a corner and are on the up for you.
What is actually going into the Tardis trailer? Camping kitchen? Hammocks? Is it a trailer-tent? Big Grin