Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD rebuild
Took AURYN back to the Netherlands again, for more tuning (Ed says he needs the car for a month or so);

[Image: auryn-netherlands-again_zps362d9c77.jpg]

Keen-eyed viewers will note that I have upgraded the boring stock front wheels to HipsterLuxe FEO2-X steelies, 'pre-aged for realistic patina'.

[Image: hipsterluxe-steelies_zps6820d649.jpg]

Sure to be an attention getter and the 2" reduction in width should increase driving excitement as well.
Since it's raining today, doing some wiring, not on the DeLorean but DMC-12 parts are involved...

[Image: police-public-call-box_zps3ba30824.jpg]

Speaking of which is there any reason why the brake/reverse/rear indicator lights cavities have reflective metal sides but the rear marker / retro-reflector cavity does not? I lined it with alu foil to make the LED bulb in there more effective, will probably use silver paint on AURYN's.
Starglider Wrote:is there any reason why the brake/reverse/rear indicator lights cavities have reflective metal sides but the rear marker / retro-reflector cavity does not?

Because it's meant to be a diffused "be seen" light rather than a "look at me" light.

These:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/search/l ... R30SMD-SP/

[Image: 1156-x30SMD-SP-led-tail-brake-light-store.jpg]

...look like this when used as a taillight...

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
How can it fit in the taillight?
Isn't it too big?
Domi Wrote:How can it fit in the taillight? Isn't it too big?

The petals are spring-loaded, they pop out after you push it through the hole. Good idea actually, shame I didn't think of that before I ordered the bulbs.
All right, thanks for the explanation, this is great!
Finally got a dry saturday to sand all the rust spots off the trailer chassis and give it a fresh coat of Hammerite. Slight problem though with the hubcentric spacers, that I'm using to fit DeLorean front wheels to the trailer. The center hole diameter is correct on the inside but there's a flange on the outside rim with a smaller inner diameter, that blocks the hub from coming through. Will have to angle grind it off.

[Image: trailer-hub_zpsab2cd6c8.jpg]

The McGuard spline drive lug nuts look really good though, definitely better than the chrome ones from John Hervey, I think I'll use them on my VehiCROSS as well as the DMC-12 + trailer.
Got the base firmly attached to the chassis.

[Image: posts_zpse8f10039.jpg]

The scale of the new series design is quite substantial, especially since the DeLorean is so low. Will have to be careful driving in crosswinds.
Nice work...!

Although you are right, that does look as if it will be a tad top heavy.

Also the wind resistance to the front could increase the fuel consumption somewhat. I mean even caravans and tow-a-vans have some aerodynamic characteristics.

I think the front of that, with the wind resistance, if you think about it is going to lift the back of your car somewhat at 60MPH. I know the engine is in the back, but when you accelerate its gonna pull up, and when you brake it's gonna push down, mainly because of the single axle on the trailer.

I'm sure you've thought of these things, but we don't want you to be the first delorean in history crushed by a tardis.... What a headline!

The Sunday sport would have a field day!

Good luck with finishing it, you are doing a very good job!

Ben
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Although you are right, that does look as if it will be a tad top heavy.
Also the wind resistance to the front could increase the fuel consumption somewhat. I mean even caravans and tow-a-vans have some aerodynamic characteristics.
I think the front of that, with the wind resistance, if you think about it is going to lift the back of your car somewhat at 60MPH. I know the engine is in the back, but when you accelerate its gonna pull up, and when you brake it's gonna push down, mainly because of the single axle on the trailer.

The trick is really just to drive slowly and carefully, e.g. not above 50 MPH and smooth gradual brake/accelerate. I have gotten a fair bit of practice with the big flatbed trailer hanging off the back of my VehiCROSS (often with the DeLorean on it), but still will take it easy. Fortunately most of the weight is in the chassis & base plate and the trailer has its own brakes, but even still might add some ballast.

Quote:I'm sure you've thought of these things, but we don't want you to be the first delorean in history crushed by a tardis.... What a headline!

Smile
Ground out the spacers to fit on the hubs; took the flange off with the angle grider and then used a rotary burr to enlarge the center hole by about 5mm

[Image: spacer_zpsa9733d4c.jpg]

New problem; I have unintentionally joined the 'hellaflush' club.

[Image: trailer-wheel_zps98eaffdb.jpg]

Will have to solve the wheel arch rubbing with the standard 'stance lifestyle' solution; cut off bits of the bodywork. Smile
All looking good.

To create a larger wheel arch rather than cut the edges off (the circumference will still look wrong due to it being sized for a smaller wheel) why not cut the wheel arch plastic up the middle with a Dremel (it'll give a nice neat straight line) and then part the wheel arch. You can then fill the gap with shaped plastic or none corrodable metal to give the wheel arch a shape more in keeping with the larger wheel it's to shroud. You don't want mud/spray all over you nicely painted Tardis Big Grin
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Chris Hawes Wrote:To create a larger wheel arch rather than cut the edges off (the circumference will still look wrong due to it being sized for a smaller wheel) why not cut the wheel arch plastic up the middle with a Dremel (it'll give a nice neat straight line) and then part the wheel arch. You can then fill the gap with shaped plastic or none corrodable metal to give the wheel arch a shape more in keeping with the larger wheel it's to shroud. You don't want mud/spray all over you nicely painted Tardis Big Grin

Hmm, good idea. I have some spare translucent blue perspex. I could cut it into small pieces and bolt them into the channel between the two halves, would create a faceted effect.
Better still, rather than hacking the arch to pieces, source some lower profile part worn tyres.

They dont have to be so wide either.

All depends on your requirements but that's what id do.
Original Goodyear NCT Tyres! They look in good nick too...
DOC 116
VIN 6237