Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD rebuild
stunned_monkey Wrote:I guess I mean tthat nobody would be able to identify it as ever having been a "Legend block" because it'll be the same as any other.

By 'block' I actually meant 'engine without exhaust or intake manifolds', sorry. So yes the original pistons and cams are in there, not sure if they're usable though. There do also seem to be some minor differences in bolts, piping arrangement etc. I suppose if all else fails I can make it into a coffee table. Smile
and what a coffee table!!! Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
On the advice of Chris Hawes, have added Spax shocks, Eibach springs and electronic versions of the fan relays to the spec (also some more miscellaneous stainless bits e.g. bonnet hinges, oil drain plug, coil cover). Switched to the three-row copper radiator w/sillicone hoses as suggested by the eurotech guys (seemed wise for a higher output engine). Also got the luggage rack and cargo net since they looked useful if we ever use this vehicle for our annual Austrian skiing holiday (my wife's family is German and they insist we join them). Smile AFAIK the only major bit I'm still missing is more modern brakes to go with the turbo engine. Was tempted by Martin's larger wheels but I feel they're just a little too big to be credible on an 80s car. Shame Welmoed's replacement wheel project didn't go ahead as that spec looked ideal.
when our #6772 (#2292's stablemate) was at Chris Nicholsons, he advised us against
the Spax shocks and said they were, in his opinion, a waste of time and money as he
couldnt tell the difference between cars that had them and those that didnt.

Has he changed his mind on these now?
Guinney1971 Wrote:Has he changed his mind on these now?

Probably not but while I generally take Chris N's advice, enough positive reports from other owners is enough to overrule him. Smile

There are several parts in this build that probably wouldn't be worth the money as replacements on an existing DeLorean (e.g. beefed up lower control arms). However since a lot of this build is from-scratch and the OEM parts we'd have to buy aren't exactly cheap either, the extra cost of these upgraded parts is not that significant.
Also considering this supposedly upgraded part but not sure it's worth the extra cost over OEM;

[Image: super-flux-capacitor.png]
Starglider Wrote:
Guinney1971 Wrote:Has he changed his mind on these now?

Probably not but while I generally take Chris N's advice, enough positive reports from other owners is enough to overrule him. Smile

The Spax shocks don't give any advantages over a decent working set of originals... except maybe an "even harder" ride, should you want it. Unfortunately working originals are pretty few and far between. The Spax units are cheap and they'll do the job. I'm quite surprised Chris H didn't suggest his Protechs, but they are twice the price....
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
who says I didn't ;P

I've already contacted Starglider and pointed out the benefits of the Spax and Protech options over stock and the differences between each....
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
I wanted something adjustable and the Spax shocks have consistently good reviews. The Protech shocks seemed like overkill unless you are an avid track day enthusiast although they do look nice. I wouldn't be surprised if I made some changes after doing a few thousand miles in the car.

It seems Chris & myself both would prefer 'slightly larger than stock' wheels but alas no one is making them at the moment.

Another slightly crazy thing I am doing for this build is using five of the LED-lit window lift switches for the center console. The actual window lift switches will be configured normally, I will wire the other three such that they are electronic toggles which change colour depending on whether they are in the off or on state. The center one will be rear defrost as usual, one will be for fog lights and another for aux lighting (might try and implement Simon's neat idea for the label). May also integrate a USB3 hub (or at the very least, USB power plugs) next to the cigarette lighter, ideally under a concealing flap.
Ok, most of the bits for this have turned up, including Julian's stainless parts, Spax shocks, Eibach springs etc. Also added these two bits;

[Image: shift1.jpg]

[Image: sill_on.jpg]

plus heated seats (another request from the wife : she always sets her seat to 'roasting' in my Allroad), the DMCEU curved mirrors for better visibility, a couple of ruggedised USB3 hubs (glovebox & center console), tiny LED spot for grill logo etc.

Engine plan is still up in the air though, didn't manage to work something out with delorean.co.uk and it's looking unlikely with Josh / DPI, but there are a few other plans being worked on. Still need some brakes and assorted suspension parts, looking into the poly bushings: hoping to have a go in another London owner's car which has them to see what the feel is like.

Continuing the '1984 DeLorean' idea, have considered modifying the exterior trim somehow. I thought perhaps splitting the rub strips in half (carefully, with a bandsaw), mouting them on a thin backing and filling the gap between them with the small grey side stripe. Happy to hear any other ideas for what the factory might have done to make the 1983 builds look different, given parts available and their budget limitations.
Don't worry too much about heated seats, that's one thing the DeLorean doesn't need, the cockpit is like a sauna at the best of times - focus more on making sure you have working A/C Wink

If I were you, I'd honestly stick with a stock engine and just put the UK exhaust on it (http://www.stainless-exhaust.com), it's more than adequate for keeping up with today's traffic. If you absolutely have to have an engine with more bhp, get a stage II from Ed.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
MikeWard Wrote:Don't worry too much about heated seats, that's one thing the DeLorean doesn't need, the cockpit is like a sauna at the best of times - focus more on making sure you have working A/C Wink.

^^^^^ what he said Smile
MikeWard Wrote:If I were you, I'd honestly stick with a stock engine and just put the UK exhaust on it (http://www.stainless-exhaust.com), it's more than adequate for keeping up with today's traffic. If you absolutely have to have an engine with more bhp, get a stage II from Ed.

Ah, but you're probably thinking about practicality, cost, reliability and similar sensible things. Whereas I want to make a car that shows what the Legend + Wooler Hodec prototypes would have looked like if they'd got to series production. Ed Uding apparently he did make this engine for a Canadian customer;

[Image: deloreaneu-engine.jpg]

Currently trying to find out exactly what components were used and how well it runs.
Starglider Wrote:Ah, but you're probably thinking about practicality, cost, reliability and similar sensible things.
Mostly the reliability piece. The PRV in the DeLorean in it's stock form is a robust and reliable engine, if you deviate too far from stock I think you'll be setting yourself up to fail. And I'm sure you will want to be able to drive and enjoy your car once Chris has finished working his magic on it. Smile

Can you turn spanners yourself, or would you be looking to have Chris and/or another mechanic work on it if something went wrong with the car ?
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
MikeWard Wrote:Mostly the reliability piece. The PRV in the DeLorean in it's stock form is a robust and reliable engine, if you deviate too far from stock I think you'll be setting yourself up to fail.

I know what you mean, but that said plenty of people do have problems with K-Jet and turn to either carbs or EFI solely for reliability reasons. Turbo hardware on its own is extremely reliable; the main concern is the extra stress on the engine, and I am looking at a relatively low level of boost and strengthened pistons. So far Martin's proposal was ultra-modern EFI, Josh's proposal was K-Jet and Ed's is a somewhat older, simpler but very well proven multi-point EFI system. I suspect Ed's design is actually the most reliable (although I am still researching this).

Quote:Can you turn spanners yourself, or would you be looking to have Chris and/or another mechanic work on it if something went wrong with the car ?

I have changed head gaskets, clutches, radiators etc on various older cars. Many years ago I rebuilt the ignition on an old Vauxhall from single coil / HV distributor to home made electronically switched / coil per cylinder and it ran perfectly (aside from one embarassing incident involving inadquate waterproofing). I always make my own ICE systems. I don't know anything about modern ECUs (other than to plug in a trouble code reader Smile ), but I have a great deal of programming & IT experience, so I could hopefully learn.

However, I would not be able to do something ambitious like rebuild a gearbox, and I have no illusions about being able to make or properly tune a twin turbo engine on my own; even Chris Nicholson doesn't feel comfortable attempting this. Which is why John's proposal of sending over a turbo/intercooler/cams kit for us to apply to the engine is a lot more risky. The biggest problem I have had recently is a severe lack of free time, so I am more inclined to send my cars to a mechanic even if it is something I could fix myself.