Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD rebuild
Chris P Wrote:This was the only UK Factory look. Not to everyones taste perhaps. Just writing it up as a matter of fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the production versions going to use a tail light cluster in the same style as the US version?
No, there was some talk of doing a European version of the regular ones, in the future, but nothing had or could be done….the factory was in receivership and running out of money fast, so they only got permission from the receiver to do a quick job. Find an existing, UK approved light cluster that would fit in the hole, and then they commissioned a company to make the infill panels. (Just written it all up, with info from the engineer who did the work. Backed up by his boss, Barrie Wills who negotiated with the receiver.

Here's the last RHD made. Not registered yet!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:No, there was some talk of doing a European version of the regular ones, in the future, but nothing had or could be done….Find an existing, UK approved light cluster that would fit in the hole,

This is the nub of the matter. The standard ones would pass Euro approval but I suggest it was an issue of time. It was quicker for them to take an off-the-shelf cluster which was already legal than it was to get approval on the standard lenses. They would have needed a kite mark in the UK for example (these days it's EC).

The standard lenses are clearly designed for European use with their foglights, amber indicators, inbuilt reflectors and selectable function with the cutout holes on the board. Also that the bulbs sit parallel with the road even through the face of the lenses is slanted.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Status report : brakes, steering (including power assistance) all done, awaiting shifter cable from Ed to fix the gearbox. A fair amount of fibreglassing still to be done, particularly the louvres and engine cover which are both still a mess.

That said the air scoops are done, shorter style similar to this production concept rather than the longer prototype ones. My intercoolers are fan assisted (thermostatic switches) so ram pressure is not so relevant. Haven't put the stainless mesh in yet though, also I've picked up a hood scoop to improve cooling of the coil area (will be fitted reversed). Most of the wiring is done, the lambda light is normally unused on the RHDs but since I have a modern ECU I'm using it as a 'check engine' warning light. Trick mirror with integrated backup camera screen is working well; backup camera itself is taped to the fascia at the moment but will be integrated into the rear numberplate holder. I've also fitted a wireless video receiver on the secondary mirror screen channel, so that I can have a rear camera on the trailer. Stainless spoiler (with integrated 3rd brake light) is still in progress. Subwoofer is now mounted in the cubbyhole door, front external speakers are wired (two front firing behind the grill, two side firing next to the horns) but not the rears yet. Will be connected to the widget that makes the BTTF door noises and power-up sound (on engine start). Remote door & trunk unlock fitted and working, remote engine start not working yet.

I already have the light-up sill logos and something similar in the headliners, but looking at YouTube videos all the trendy DMC-12 modifiers seem to have footwell lighting as well. Not a bad idea but I'd prefer something more period appropriate than a stick-on LED strip, might see if I can get hold of some first-gen MX-5 footwell lights. Chris tried to fit the retractable front number plate holder and got it mounted so that it comes out through a slot in the top of the rock screen, rather than from under the car as per previous DMC-12 installs I've seen. However he broke the motor in the process so not working right now.

Not sure if I mentioned : I'm seriously considering Ed Uding's larger wheel plan. This involves cutting a ring out of the rear wheels (and rewelding/polishing down) so they fit in the front arches, and putting a machined replica face on a 1" larger and 2" wider rear rim. The result is stock appearing rims 1" larger in diameter, with considerably more width at the year. Ed convinced me that the right shop can do the width reduction safely, but the machining cost might still be prohibitive : the budget for this project is already seriously stretched. On the plus side I could use the spare front wheels as matching wheels on my trailer (which I am custom building to go with the DMC-12 : will use DMC-12 tail-light clusters if I can afford them).
I made some footwell lights using plain black Lucas-style numberplate lights fastened to blakc-apinted aluminium strips which attach to existing mounting points. From memory I took the live feed from the glovebox light.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Making the spoiler mock-up :

[Image: spoiler2_zps236aab3b.jpg]

Clay part will be fibreglass (blended with fascia), cardboard part will be stainless :

[Image: spoiler1_zpsa2e9bf21.jpg]
Thats Different.... and I like different Big Grin

Would the stainless part be removable to work on the engine?
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Stuart Rees Wrote:Would the stainless part be removable to work on the engine?

Yes (unscrew the mounting bolts), but it's pretty low so for most jobs (that don't require the entire rear fascia off) it wouldn't be necessary. The 'ears' on the louvres were removed to clear the spoiler mounts; they're not structural anyway.
Air scoop and spoiler mount. Scoop will have stainless mesh in it to stop leaves etc getting in.

[Image: spoiler-mount1_zpse96fc57b.jpg]

Closeup on fibreglass spoiler mount; mounting lugs are stainless.

[Image: spoiler-mount2_zpsf6ac5fb3.jpg]

Rear view, ready for fascia painting.

[Image: rear_zps295ee8da.jpg]

Exhaust tip & foglight area;

[Image: exhaust-fog1_zps264422bb.jpg]

Closeup : the small round holes are for the ultrasonic parking sensors;

[Image: exhaust-fog-2_zpsed917e86.jpg]

Legend themed seat (only the driver's is mounted ATM);

[Image: driver-seat_zps989a0f66.jpg]

Interior is still a mess : subwoofer is fitted in the cubby door though.

[Image: interior_zps0976ff63.jpg]

Added this scoop, reversed to make a vent, for additional cooling of the coil area. Will be fibreglassed over and painted to match, also stainless mesh inserted to match the air scoops;

[Image: engine-cover_zps685cb6b4.jpg]

Two exterior speakers mounted in the void behind the license plate holder (safe to do so with the relocated mufflers), outer grill not yet fitted;

[Image: speakers1_zpsc8048e99.jpg]

Two more exterior speakers going behind the grill (will have small holes drilled in the valleys for sound permeability);

[Image: speakers2_zps027ab83e.jpg]

Two more attached to the radiator support struts; driver's side is close to the brake master.

[Image: speakers3_zps1b122c2c.jpg]

The last pair will be facing the rear wheel wells, probably attached to the towbar mounting structure.
Amazing work, that rear facia is a masterpiece on it's own. Only problem I can see is he seems to have put your steering wheel on the wrong side :wink:
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I think you'l find its the correct side Chris! :lol:
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Alas, the original Wooler Hodec speedo just wouldn't hold calibration : spring seems to be shot after 30 years on the shelf. I've had to order one from DMC Houston (still 140 MPH), but we're going to swap the faceplates to keep the WH look.

While I was online shopping I got one of the new stainless gear levels that Josh is making, should go well with the stainless shift plate.
Engine cover is complete;

[Image: engine-cover2_zps247c951e.jpg]

Close up on the coil pack cooling vent (stainless mesh inside);

[Image: coil-vent_zpse998b251.jpg]

This does mean the standard engine cover stay design won't work. Could relocate it to the side, but Chris says the design was bad to start with and is the main cause of broken engine covers. Other options are stainless corner rod or gas struts similar to the louvres.

[Image: engine-cover-underside_zps2df16ad1.jpg]

Air scoops are also complete;

[Image: scoop-mesh_zpsa93b9e78.jpg]
Very impressive Smile
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

"Hey you, get your dam hands off her"
Very interesting seeing all of the custom bits you are adding, Very inventive and unusual ideas ( In a good way Smile )

I always wondered if it was possible to make a stainless grill (between the headlights) I think it would suit this car :wink:
It looks like this has turned into an epic build.... Looking forward to seeing it in all its glory.
DOC 116
VIN 6237