Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copies of club magazine in PDF
Hi everyone. As a recent member I recieved a few back copies of the club magaizine (thanks Chris). I have to say they are fantastic. I've read everyone form cover to cover, and enjoyed every page. I know that back copies are available to purchase, but could the club make them available through the website as a PDF or ebook? Payments could be done vie paypal, and would probably see loads more people downloading back issues than would purchase hard copies.

Is this something the club could do? If digital copies exist (which I imagine they do) it would be a simple task to sort out.

What do people think?
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk
This is exactly what the Bricklin owners club do, I purchased the CD they also do a USB stick, when I bought my Brick and find it a fantastic resource for parts and know how.

It would be great to have the same resource available for the Delorean as-well.
VIN 17152 - The Manx 'D'
this is something that has been discussed at previous AGM's but I think the worry has been
about 'protecting' the material so to speak.

Members pay for the privilege of having the magazine, and I think there was a worry about
how to protect if from being randomly available £FOC on the internet.

However, I'm not computer savvy, so if there is a way of doing a protected electronic version
of the mag...... Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi Guinney. I'm pretty up to speed with most IT stuff, so could help out. I've been looking at how to create ebooks for download from the apple iTunes store for use in the classroom (I'm a secondary school teacher with a passion for technology). I'd be happy to help out with translating the magazines into ebook format for people to purchase from the apple store. I'm coming over to the East Kirby RAF show this saturday, so maybe we could have a chat about it then.
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

by all means, yes we can talk about it - will you be at the AGM at the NEC in November?

Thats where the matter can be discussed in more detail with more members (and also the
Mag Editor) present.

It would be good if this could be done, I'm all for keeping the Club up to date and relevant.
I think the problem is even then after purchase they cant be protected??? and are free to be distributed as seen fit. I have been putting some of the tech articles on to the forum as time allows which hopefully will help.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Is this really seen as a big issue?

I like the view taken by the Bricklin owners club, price the product correctly so there is little incentive to pirate it and perhaps more importantly only sell to and trust the club members.

Given that the CD in question holds every 'Brickline' ever published right back to the late 1970's they have a lot to loose yet 'theft' doesn't appear to be major concern for them.

I would agree that eBooks are not a perfect solution and as a Linux/Unix user I'd certainly strongly object to any platform tie in's the like of which publishing through iTunes would create. Another solution is to custom create each copy purchased using a unique 'traceable' password that way if a PDF does get into the wild it can be traced back again. Don't get me wrong this by no means fool proof, but what is these days, and somewhat cumbersome for anything other than low volume 'one off' purchases.
VIN 17152 - The Manx 'D'
Quote:Is this really seen as a big issue
Not a huge issue but as this complete forum was copied, everything lock/stock and barrel then I'm sure you can see why we are a little careful. I'm sure these would soon make there way onto other DeLorean forums to be freely distributed. Perhaps putting a watermark on each page would be the way to go with this.
However I can see the feasability of putting say 15 issues at a time on to a cd and selling these at a nominal cost.
Also one of the other reasons (at the time) when I took over as membership secretary 3 or 4 years ago I inherited about 1100 back issue's (from some earlier poor controls) that needed to be thined out to a more sensible stock quantity. I'm glad to say we now have a sensible amount so the pdf'ing seems a reasonable idea.
If no one else can do it I will try to look into it later in the year.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
That's the question really Chris and Manxman. Protecting digital documents is difficult at the best of times. Yes, protecting each file with a password is a possible solution, but do you really want to have to be the one administrating separate passwords for every one that's purchased? Sounds like a nightmare! However at the moment what's stopping people scanning the do unmentioned and uploading them? Quick and easy to do, but I've never seen any examples of them leaking out onto the net, much like you say Manxman.

As for not using iTunes, although I can see people's point of view with apple taking a slice it does mean digital protection and DRM is takin care of, plus it means a much wider audience for the magazine. Could well be a good money earner for the club. Apple is far from being all bad. It's not a "platform tie-in" Manxman, just an alternative distribution channel. Nothing to stop the club doing both PDF and iTunes versions.

Guinney, I've not thought about the AGM in Nov. Did think the AGM would be for more longstanding members than myself, but would be happy to attend if I can help in any way.
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

I don't disagree with anything you've said other than your suggestion that going the itunes route is not a tie in.

Do you honestly believe 'two' digital copies would be maintained? one with a proprietary DRM requiring Apple software, which is not available on all platforms and one DRM free? As I surely don't so as I say providing the mag via itunes, whilst a good solution for the club _would_ tie its digital distribution to a sole proprietary platform.
VIN 17152 - The Manx 'D'
To be honest Manxman I'm not 100% sure on what is involved as I've only just started looking into it for a series of ebooks I'm creating to help encourage kids to read. However, apple have just recently released a nice ebook authoring tool which seems to take the hassle out of ebook creation. Not used it much yet, but seem (like most apple stuff) to be simple to use. Believe me I'm not apple fan boy. I've only recently purchased a mac, but if the tool fits the job I'll use it. Publishing both an iTunes and PDF version seems quite simple really. Both are very interchangeable. You might not use iTunes, and I can understand your argument, but by far the majority do.

In the end it's up to the club members to decide. I'm happy to help any way I can, whichever way is chosen. At the end of the day having a digital version is the aim, so I'd be happy how ever it's done.
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

flux3d Wrote:Guinney, I've not thought about the AGM in Nov. Did think the AGM would be for more longstanding members than myself, but would be happy to attend if I can help in any way.

the AGM is open to all members, new and longstanding, young and old, to have a say and some input
on the Club that they pay for.

We are always open to suggestions and ideas on how things can be improved or done easier.