Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOC-UK Summer Event, June 2013
I'm just working on an itinerary for this event, and as an alternative/addition to Helmsley Castle, what
do folks think to Rivaulx Abbey (2 miles away from Helmsley)?

Hopefully the day will be long enough to accomodate visiting both sites, as we would probably arrive
there early afternoon (working on finding a pub between Goathland and Helmsley/Rivaulx for lunch), and
the website recommends allowing 2hrs for Rivaulx Abbey or 1hr for Helmsley Castle.

We get 15% discount for a group booking too, so I'd need to see what the preferences are before deciding
what to book.

So, can I have an idea on preferences:

1. visit both attractions as so close together
2. Rivaulx Abbey only
3. Helmsley Castle only

Rivaulx Abbey: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/days ... ulx-abbey/

Helmsley Castle: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/days ... ey-castle/

many thanks,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Having been to both previously, I might suggest Rievaulx for personal preference but i reckon we could fit both into the time.

I also wonder if it might be possible to get permission from the appropriate authorities to park up on the village green area in Goathland, the station carpark is tiny/ always chocka and is a good walk from the centre-ville. Ideal might be to all park centrally then those interested in the trains (me included!) head down on foot.

North Yorks Moors Rly timetable:
http://www.nymr.co.uk/timetables-and-fares/timetable/
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I'll quite happily do both if thats what everybody else wants to do Smile

I'm quite interested in seeing the NYMR as well, as i've not been for a while!
Paul Bardill

1995 Peugeot 106 - N982 ATV
I've emailed this place to see if they could accommodate us for lunch on the Saturday

http://theforgeaislaby.co.uk/

This is their lunch menu:

http://theforgeaislaby.co.uk/files/9813 ... 3/Menu.pdf

Unfortunately many of the places I've been looking into are around the same sort of
price bracket (or usually higher), but I guess you have to accept 'tourist prices' - although
I have enquired if we can have a bit of discount for a group booking Wink
I'm happy to do both, if they are that close if people would rather do one or the other then people can stay at one/or the other!

IMPORTANT NOTE TO EVERYONE: Smile
I will post out another newsletter (blimey thats 2 within 4 months as well as magazines!) with all the details of this event/timings plus a few other bits, so dont worry if you dont see an itinery on the forum we thought it best to send this out in a newsletter to everyone as there are so many members that dont use this forum (or any come to that) that want/need to know whats happening as well. I will get some extra newsletters done as well for the event for the expected paparazzi!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
hi all,

thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.

Mike and Mary Hooper are heading up to Yorkshire next week to check out various places for parking
and also double check routes to venues.

With Riveaux and Helmsley being only 2 miles apart, it seems to make sense to see both if possible whilst
we're there.

I did look at the NYMR, but I thought the costs of riding on the train might be abit much as many of
us are on a tight budget - but, its an option for anyone who doesnt fancy going to the castle/abbey:
http://www.nymr.co.uk/timetables-and-fares/fares/ - for instance, for me, Phill and Kez, to travel on the
round trip from Grosmont to Pickering (that stops at Goathland) will cost us £36.00.

BTW, plans for the 2015 event in Dorset are well underway too Wink
Excellent, well done Claire, I know you work very hard on these things.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I've been on the NYMR enough times, so I'm not fussed about going on it, although I'm quite keen on seeing it at some point.

The Forge looks rather nice.
Paul Bardill

Rich Hanlon Wrote:Excellent, well done Claire, I know you work very hard on these things.

thanks Rich, its always a challenge trying to come up with ideas for places to visit that will have a
fairly wide appeal, and its also a challenge, to find a hotel that can accomodate a large group - although
the hotels that can help are usually quite expensive, so then its down to negotiating discounted rates, etc.

I'm also very grateful to Mike and Mary Hooper, who help out 'behind the scenes' on these big events checking
out routes, locations, etc.

As some of you are aware, it has been the intention of the Club for the last few years to rotate the main event
around the country, 2010 we were in Shropshire, 2011 Derbyshire, (2012 no event cos no one else organised one lol),
2013 North Yorkshire, 2014 will be Dorset, so 2015 we will probably be looking for somewhere in the East/East Anglia,
so if anyone's got ideas for locations round Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire/Suffolk that we could visit, the please speak
up and we can start making plans in good time.

Cheers,
Quote:for somewhere in the East/East Anglia,
so if anyone's got ideas for locations round Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire/Suffolk that we could visit, the please speak
up and we can start making plans in good time.
Perhaps try to get a visit to Lotus again?? depending who owns it then! I know it was expensive to go but it was a good day.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Exactly, I'm sure it is tricky to get a mixture between purely 'DMC'-related activities and other things to broaden the appeal, eg. the canal-boat trip you arranged or trips to other places of note such as Llangollen etc. Nice that this time there will be some countryside and some 'seaside' appeal too.

I missed the Lotus trip as it was my pal's wedding day.

I've often wondered where else might be good for future gatherings, and had wondered about Cumbria, Snowdonia, North pennines etc, North East (idea of Beamish appeals) or even Devon/ Cornwall. There is some excellent driving and scenery round the North of Scotland but expensive on fuel and a loooong way for most.

But I digress, let's get 2013 done first! We could even have a suggestions box at some point over the weekend for future venues!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
some great ideas there Rich and Chris, and I like the idea of a suggestions box.

I had made enquiries in Cumbria a few years ago, but all the hotels are uber
expensive (that could accommodate 20-30 of us) and also no one bothered getting
back to me!

I'd wondered about trying to visit Duxford if we did East Anglia, I've not been there for
nearly 30yrs, but then its thinking of something else in that area to fill another day. ChrisW,
this is your neck of the woods, any ideas? Lotus is a long way out, and tbh, most of us
have been to Norfolk several times in previous years so it would be good to go somewhere
different.

Anyway, lets hope that North Yorkshire is a success, we're trying to cram a lot into 2-3 days,
so I hope you all enjoy it, and in the meantime I'm going to carry on sorting out 'The DOC
Goes Mad In Dorset' for 2014 (if you've never seen 'The Comic Strip Presents....' that'll
probably mean nothing to you lol).
Guinney1971 Wrote:(2012 no event cos no one else organised one lol),

Hey! ...at least no-one can say I haven't worked hard for trying to organise our 2015 event!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4234
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy Wrote:
Guinney1971 Wrote:(2012 no event cos no one else organised one lol),

Hey! ...at least no-one can say I haven't worked hard for trying to organise our 2015 event!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4234

PMSL, you nutter :wink:

you pay my fuel bill, I might consider it :lol:
Wouldn't need to be an expensive fuel bill either considering how far Flopsy would get... Tongue *runs away fast*

That said, if Pugrot made it i'd be astonished.
Paul Bardill