Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuel tank packing pads?
i bought a replacement set from ed and i am trying to figure out what bits go where, does anyone have any pictures?

bit anal maybe but i would just like to get it right!

thanks
I've only ever taken the cover plate off my car to reveal the underside of the tank, but when i did, there was a triangular section of squashed foam stuff on the cover plate. So i guess a triangular piece goes there. I remember seeing pictures else where, and i'm sure there was two long rectangular pieces, one for each vertical long length down the sides of the tank, and then a shorter one for the back vertical wall of the tank too. I think also, my tank has some "L" shaped foam pieces positioned on the top long edges where you can see a couple when you remove the access panel to see the fuel sender and pump etc.

In fact, i've just looked, it shows you here:

http://store.delorean.com/c-274-2-1-0-t ... oretc.aspx

When I had my cover plate off, I renewed the old triangular pad with some sound insulation foam you would use to pad the inside of the your PC case to lessen the noise. Seems just fine for a bit of padding, and better yet, didn't cost me anything.

Was like this sort of stuff, cut to shape with scissors. Had some already, which I never used:

http://www.mnpctech.3dpixelnet.com/pict ... iew9z4.jpg

(Although I think my stuff looked a bitter more rigged than this. This stuff looks quite soft and squashy. Mine has a bit more sponginess to it.)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
cheers for the reply, yeah i have that diagram but i could not figure out form what i had and what that diagram shows, i have seen elsewhere 3 bits packing the front top to add to the confusion:

[Image: 30977930038_large.jpg]

i have checked what ed sent me and i think i have a rogue set of pads, as they do not look like what should be in the kit, so that should answer that, i will put some pictures up once i have done so at least there will be a record then!
You should have 11 pads total as noted in the link:

http://store.delorean.com/c-274-2-1-0-t ... oretc.aspx

To be honest, i'm sure it's not THAT precise. Common sense. It's only for padding to help cushion and stop any potential movement (Even though its a snug fit anyway) Once buttoned up again, no-one sees it anyway.

Saying that though, I'm sure since you've paid the money, you want to make sure you have the right pads, and then once you do, I'd say common sense.

As for your photo, I think that is simply evidence that the pads like to stick more to the frame compared to the plastic tank. Either that or someone stuck them to the frame INSTEAD of the tank. Just shows you how uncritical it is.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)