Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chassis Colour?
Hello everyone,

Frenchy is days away from some essential chassis welding, and the engineer has asked me the correct colour code of the chassis!
Eek?
Done a little research - which came up with nought....
Anyone have a rough idea?

Taa,
Mat
DOC 100 Vin#3866 Ashington, West Sussex
Erm...

It's G.r.3.Y in the big bumper book of paint colours?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Now I *did* have some chassis paint, where it is I dont know, but it was a case of
mixing your own black and white together to get the shade that matches your chassis's
current colour.

However, if your chassis has been stripped already, then it might be a case of having
a look at someone elses car or checking some photos that people have taken.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Suggest....Gravitex Grey nearly an 'exact' match.
I used Wilko's grey primer, almost perfect match and cheap!

What have you been doing to my Frenchy's Chassis? I looked very good to me....mind you it was a few years ago.....Waxoyl has always done it for me.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
H Chris,

She's in great shape, and thank you to all for the colour suggestions....

A year ago I noticed the chassis needed some TLC.....I luckily found a car restorer right outside the unit I once upon a time kept Frenchy....it was secure, hidden away at the top of my village, and correctly dehumidified, very easy access, (apart from weekends, strangely!) and she had lots of other classic cars to play with when no one was looking...

So the chap said £800 ish to stop the rust and restore the chassis to full working order, ready for another 30 years....
Well....£2400 later it was done....fantastic job, great colour, vey happy.....he took lots of before and after pictures :-)

She's a fine car and now lives at home in a "carcoon", double skinned, filtered air....(good enough for jet engines, good enough for Frenchy!)

Best wishes, Mat Clarke
By the way, talking about WAXOYL, do you know if anyone has used the services of waxoyltreatment.co.uk?

Roughly £400 for chassis and cavities?

Ta, Mat
Quote:do you know if anyone has used the services of waxoyltreatment.co.uk?
Not those but I have used these: http://www.waxoylprofessional.com/ to do my MG ZS last year. After doing lots of research on lots of different forums this company seemed the best and having used the Hatfield one they do seem to do a good job and don't mind you being there to help. Giving me the chance to remove the wheels and plastic inner arches so it could be treated properly (something most don't do) Wouldn't have thought they would charge that much to do a D chassis though as there's not a lot of chassis to treat.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
No Mat, i'm afraid not, Its a job I have always liked to do myself.

And It would actually be cheaper to buy a small wheeled compressor ( also handy for checking tyre pressures) and an oil gun. ( I can't get on with these flimsy little hand sprayers that are supposed to be used with wax type sprays.)

I find it better to mix the Waxoyl with a thinner oil type product ( duck oil/ WD40 etc.) ....and using a set of ramps or axle stands, do the job yourself in a couple of hours. I do it on all my cars, even my new Kia ( I did ask about any warranty issues first ) Its just had its first service and the service manager commented on how nice it was underneath.

This takes me back 50 years when I worked briefly as an apprentice garage mechanic at the Co-Op. As I admired the milk floats that were still going strong and rot free after 30 years of use, the "old boy" in charge of me said "what do think is the best rust preservative liquid there is?".......( this was in the days long before any sort of trust treatments were available and most cars simply rotted away in a few years!) I said I didn't know......."WATER" says he, "Always wash the muck off at least once a week, especially under the the car and under the wheel arches, this is very important in the winter, to get the salt off " .

I always have, and have never been bothered by corrosion.

Using Waxoyl every couple of years, is the icing on the cake and it ensures bolts, clips brackets etc, not only look nice but come un-done easily if needed.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
matclarke Wrote:H Chris,

She's in great shape, and thank you to all for the colour suggestions....

A year ago I noticed the chassis needed some TLC.....I luckily found a car restorer right outside the unit I once upon a time kept Frenchy....it was secure, hidden away at the top of my village, and correctly dehumidified, very easy access, (apart from weekends, strangely!) and she had lots of other classic cars to play with when no one was looking...

So the chap said £800 ish to stop the rust and restore the chassis to full working order, ready for another 30 years....
Well....£2400 later it was done....fantastic job, great colour, vey happy.....he took lots of before and after pictures :-)

She's a fine car and now lives at home in a "carcoon", double skinned, filtered air....(good enough for jet engines, good enough for Frenchy!)

2400?? I think my frame off cost roughly that (chassis galvanised and powdercoated to the closest colour).

Best wishes, Mat Clarke
Vin #4087
I know this is an old thread .... but just for completeness - I visited Ed Udding and this is THE paint to use - a PERFECT match.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/lubrican...gKvL_D_BwE
Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)