Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crank pulley needed
A rattle gun after leaving a blowtorch playing on the nut for a good 10 minutes was how I got the worst one off I've ever met. I've also torn an engine mount by trying the breaker bar approach.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I tried a different approach-after trying everything from breaker bars sleeved by scaffolding poles for leverage, I drilled very carefully along the nut using a 1/8 HSS drill bit, making 2 paralell holes as deep as the nut but well clear of the crankshaft thread and then split the nut with sharp cold chisel, and after replacing the pulley seal and cleaning up, replaced the pulley and a new crank nut, torqued it up to breaking point. Not mentioned in the Haynes manual but job effective. (The rear panel was removed for repainting at the time and gave better access) 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Nick H Wrote:I still have nightmares about removing crankshaft pulley nuts! :wink:

After trying and failing with the 5th gear and windy gun .

I got a Peugeot diesel flywheel locking tool. Costs about £6. You remove the starter motor and using
One of the bolting points, bolt in the locking tool which will mesh with the starter ring gear.
Thus the flywheel is locked. Then heat the b###### nut . I found a heavy duty map gas blow lamp
(ideal for lighting the BBQ at Le Mans :lol: ) worked a treat. Then use a breaker bar and it will come off.
A new nut cost £2 from Renault . They were out of stock so I got mine from Volvo for £8. They know how to charge!

If you want to borrow the locking tool I can stick it in the post.

Regards
Nick H

cheers Nick, may well take you up on that offer (as well as the one about sending the new part to your US address).

I'll keep you posted, I've got someone else who *might* have a DMC pulley lurking at the back of their garage, and RichH
is seeing his mate about making me a new one but that means taking my old one off, waiting for a new one to be made,
then putting it all back together - but that could mean the car being off the road for weeks, rather then a weekend.

Its all good fun, eh... :roll:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Ok Claire, no worries

Regards
Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Claire managed to get a second hand one .
Picking up bits if you happen to be in the States can save you a packet. I hate to think what the shipping on the AC compressor and all the hoses that I brought back would have been.

Regards
Nick
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/