Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RHD conversion
Whats the feasability of converting a delorean to RHD? Is it worth the expense?
Thanks
John
SCEDT26T9BD005902
hi

you might want to ask either pj grady mr chris n or there is a couple on the fourm who done theres i think her name was tracie but i might want to check the spelling as mine is no good Big Grin
johnomac Wrote:Whats the feasability of converting a delorean to RHD? Is it worth the expense?
Thanks
John

Is it worth the expense? Depends on how badly you want it done. We have just completed ours. it cost about £1500 and took about one year of spare time working. It will of course cost alot more if you have to pay someone to do the work for you. I have done an article describing what I done to be published in the club magazine but if you want to know anything special you can get in touch and I`ll be happy to tell you all.
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421
Delorean Dream within a Dream
roll on eurotec 2009 love you all
[Image: covercarpics034.jpg]

[Image: mybanner48c1296704f7enw1.jpg]
tracey steele Wrote:I have done an article describing what I done to be published in the club magazine

The first episode of Tracey's RHD conversion project will be appearing in issue #36 of DeLorean News which is scheduled for March. :wink:
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
£1500 is pretty darn cheap for a RHD conversion. Labour aside, to complete the job properly, you need a serious amount of custom fabrication. We've been fortunate enough to have an original Wooler Hodec car to template and examine - and even though the cars were initially 'proof of concepts' - there was a SERIOUS amount of labour undertaken - even hand casted windscreen wiper brackets.

Here's just a few of the tasks we've achieved thus far with the 2 RHD conversion projects we're currently working on:

Steering Rack - forget about any notions of flipping the LHD rack upside down - or cutting, welding and sleeving racks from other cars. We went for the safest approach possible and had the rack rams custom made from a single unit of hardened steel - with special tooling. These with the pinions, etc cost us around £1000 each. These are exactly the same as those made by Wooler Hodec - with some minor improvements.

The frame itself at the front needs modification to accomodate the resited pinion - and to avoid overloading the universal joint.

The pedal box is custom built -as was the Wooler Hodec originals. We also took the step of resiting the brake master - to avoid the reliance on a cross bar from the pedal.

We make each dash again from scratch - including recovering - and even punching all the speaker holes in by hand to look as original as possible.
The correct vinyl alone isn't easy to find - and it took us a while to get the exact grey dye needed to make the work look stock.

The wipers are resited and direction reversed.
The heater matrix is resited and adapted to fit.
The hood pull and latch is resited - along with the handbrake.

There's loads more.

We're documenting every modification as we undertake this process for the respective owners - with their permission, we'd be happy to share pictures for all to see.

Thanks

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk