Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts of a potential DeLorean owner
Hmmm september seems a long time away Wink Like the D I'm turning 30 this year (couple of weeks actually ...) and I'm now wondering if there are any D's local to the bristol/bath area that I might get to admire? Smile
Guys, archiving material for the magazine (for those of you who don't know, I'm giving it a shot at being the DeLorean news editor), not to use yet but to have 'in the bank' - would anyone mind if I used an abridged version of this thread potentially for an featurette, if needed; a sort of FAQ/mythbusting article on owning a DeLorean: potential-owner questions, and then selected owner responses? Like 'Claire says...' but can anonymise your names if you like. Not yet but possibly in the future. I think our non-owner audience would appreciate it! And some of us owners who daren't take the car out much....obviously we would put a disclaimer on it!

I'm probably going to be annoying you all with questions like this frequently from now on...Tongue
DMZ Wrote:Guys, archiving material for the magazine (for those of you who don't know, I'm giving it a shot at being the DeLorean news editor), not to use yet but to have 'in the bank' - would anyone mind if I used an abridged version of this thread potentially for an featurette, if needed; a sort of FAQ/mythbusting article on owning a DeLorean: potential-owner questions, and then selected owner responses? Like 'Claire says...' but can anonymise your names if you like. Not yet but possibly in the future. I think our non-owner audience would appreciate it! And some of us owners who daren't take the car out much....obviously we would put a disclaimer on it!

I'm probably going to be annoying you all with questions like this frequently from now on...Tongue

a FAQ/Mythbusting article sounds like a good idea Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi, just buy one, dont think about it, just do it, you wont regret it. you will only regret if you dont get one. oo and the doors dont open as high as you think, no more than 6 foot, maybe just 6' 1" at the most. good luck. Big Grin
Indeed - by posting here that's basically the sort of setup I was trying to get to the bottom of, as a potential owner who is an average joe with 1 car and no classic car expereince or mechanic training or whatever Tongue I've at least found insurance would be cheap if I'm doing only a thousand or 2 miles/year. Then again there was that possibility of hiring out rides for occasions ...
But right now I'm still just pacing around wanting to see one asap Tongue Was also considering a lexus is300 for my normal car the other day but it sold before I could go see it, oh well
Was looking on here whiel searching abut for any indication as to the price of a D over the last 20 years - whether it's stable, going down, going up etc
http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -ebay.html
While looking I also thought of something else bad about LHDs ........ drivethru's :/
Leozack Wrote:Was looking on here whiel searching abut for any indication as to the price of a D over the last 20 years - whether it's stable, going down, going up etc
http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -ebay.html
While looking I also thought of something else bad about LHDs ........ drivethru's :/

drive thrus are a bit of a problem (unless you have a passenger), but you can with a certain amount
of skill get a drink through the door window Wink

I tend to park in the carpark tho and eat in (easier with a toddler), and sit and watch people looking
at the car and taking pictures of it, totally obvlious that I can see them lol
Quote:While looking I also thought of something else bad about LHDs ........ drivethru's :/

I find toll booth's more of an issue unless you have a passenger Smile
Usually I had to jump out and walk around!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Where do you live? you can pop round to mine and see mine if you're not to far away?
Yeah I can imagine tollbooths being a pain too - lesson is to take a passenger and for once the driver doesn't have to rememebr all the food orders haha Wink
Stu I'm in Keynsham between Bristol & Bath
well you're more than welcome to come and see mine if you are up this way, mine isnt on the road or registered yet, but its 95% finished.
Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:While looking I also thought of something else bad about LHDs ........ drivethru's :/

I find toll booth's more of an issue unless you have a passenger Smile
Usually I had to jump out and walk around!

Chris

Apparantly LHD truckers have a fishing net on a long pole with the right change in
the cab, then when they get to the booth they just tip the money out of the net.

As a DeLorean isnt as wide as a truck, you wont need such a long fishing net! :lol: :lol:
Ah of course, a fishing net - why didn't I think of that Wink
Thanks for the offer Stu I'll lyk if I'm in that area over summer!
Hi Leo,

I have owned my DeLorean for two years now and its been a great experience so far.

I store my car outside on my driveway under a car cover. I drive it mostly at weekends, although when the roads are quiet it becomes my transport to work and back a couple of days a week too.

You can adjust to driving a LHD car really quickly I found, and I find the car really easy to drive and position on the road. No worries about gear changing etc, you'll get used to it. The visibility is actually pretty good and you'll quickly learn the best way to line the car up at junctions to get the best possible view to the sides of the car. I always check over my shoulder for joining carriageways etc for safety anyway.

The brakes work ok, not up to modern car standards though so leave a bit more room in front than normal. They are quite adequete though in normal driving. Overtaking is not too much of a worry either providing you keep back a bit to get a better view due to you being further over left on the road. Had no real issues there.

I have found that people on duel carriageways/motorways will often hover alongside you looking at the car or getting passengers to take photos, so you do need to be aware all the time. Filling up at petrol stations has been fairly uneventful. I get a few people coming to look, mostly asking about the engine size or how many cars left etc. No BTTF jokes yet suprisingly.

My local garage is more than happy to work on the car, once they realised that everything oily is accessible and that parts are available. I have also had great support from the Clubs too in helping diagnose and fix various issues. I haven't taken the car to Tesco yet although I'm sure it would be ok really. I drive it to visit my family (100+ mile round trip), to work or visiting some local NT places for a day out.

If you are ever Cambridge/Ely way give me a shout and you can come and have a look at the car.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
That's some thoughtful info there simon, the more 1st hand experience I hear the more it draws me to try it myself even with the high asking price to buy a D. I'm still not sure though based on probably lack of driveway, probably lack of chances to use it, and inexperience with an old car in trying to fight the 7 signs of aging as it were and stop it rusting out underneath me Smile Was in peterbo last week but unlikely to be near cambridge anytime soon. I'm starting to think I really need to clarify with a friend if he will drive upto derbyshire sat 10th or something to checkout the cars at the meet Smile