Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castrol GTx semi-synthetic 15/40 oil
Just changed the oil and filter on my DMC yesterday, and was surprised at the oil pressure from cold-the needle shot up to the top nearly and my first thought was a faulty oil pressure sender. It wasnt, and when the engine had warmed up to normal temp and fans cutting in, oil pressure was still high at just below 1/2. I change oil and filter yearly, (seen the price of engine oil lately?) and am well chuffed with Castrol, I previously used Texaco Havoline 15/40 and it never gave over 3/4 on the oil gauge-I know the gauge is not 100% accurate, but I'm defo sticking with this oil from now on, £20 for 4 litres from Tesco (you'll need 2!) 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
I was told not to use modern oil in a DeLorean engine, and that boggo standard
20w 50 was the right grade as its more suitable to older engines - Halfords also
do a can of 'Classic Motor Oil' which is the same price but nearly £20 a can last
time I looked.

I bought some Comma brand from our local motor factors for my oil change the
other week, £10.99 for a gallon, and my oil pressure is pretty much spot on now Smile I also used Wynn engine flush (£5.99) before changing the oil too.

I guess we all get told different things, and should go by what keeps our cars
happy and running smoothly. 8)
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Good point, I always used to use 20/50 grade on my 'old' cars, but after checking Castrols oil specs book its recommended for all petrol Volvo engines up to 2004, which includes our Delorean v6, as you say, as long as it keeps the wheels turning smoothly! Catch up with you two at Tatton soon 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
thats interesting to read Smile

Really looking forward to Tatton Park, only 3 months to go! Big Grin
Quote:I was told not to use modern oil in a DeLorean engine, and that boggo standard
20w 50 was the right grade as its more suitable to older engines - Halfords also
do a can of 'Classic Motor Oil' which is the same price but nearly £20 a can last
time I looked.

I bought some Comma brand from our local motor factors for my oil change the
other week, £10.99 for a gallon, and my oil pressure is pretty much spot on now I also used Wynn engine flush (£5.99) before changing the oil too.

I guess we all get told different things, and should go by what keeps our cars
happy and running smoothly

I agree with Claire on this does not need anything fancy........unlike my wifes car that uses 7 litres of fully synthetic ONLY :evil:
Cost's nearly £70 alone!!!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:........unlike my wifes car that uses 7 litres of fully synthetic ONLY :evil:
Cost's nearly £70 alone!!!

Chris

Shock I think the phrase that springs to mind is "sod that!"
Only the best oil for my DMC-good job it doesnt leak or burn it......yet!
Seriously, there does seem a big improvement, maybe there should be more research into this subject-do F1 race cars use Gluggo brand oil in their engines? 8)
lol, well mine does leak oil, so I aint wasting good stuff on it just yet! :lol:

As for F1 cars...... well the day my car puts out 1000bhp and is worth several
million........ lol :wink:
The two numbers in the oil specification are the time in seconds for a certain volume to drain through a certain sized hole when hot and cold.

eg 15W40 means 15 seconds and 40 seconds. It's measure of viscosity.

With an old engine where perhaps tolerances aren't as tight as they once were (or modern engines), high weight is a good idea but don't go so far that the engine stuggles to circulate when it's really cold. Just cos the pressure's high doesn't mean the oil is getting where it needs to go...

... but you guys are all using exactly the sort of oils I'd use (always the cheap stuff though!)

Our little Smart roadster takes 4 litres of 5W30 fully synthetic. That's nearly £25 now for the cheap stuff! Still, it's got one of the highest specific outputs of any production engine (101ps from a 699cc 3 cylinder turbo), more than a Veyron, more than an Esprit S4S, beaten only by a Mitsubishi EVO FQ400 as far as I know (not counting things like the Koenigsegg Agera - I don't think you can call it a "production" car!).
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Now thats Smart! 8)
bjbrownie Wrote:Now thats Smart! 8)

:lol: da dum ching! :lol:
I've just finished, practically, getting LEX ready for Belfast on Thursday. Along with all the other things i did, i also did my first ever oil change too. Managed to source the correct oil filter from Halfords (via the historicals on this forum! :-D ) and then went out and bought from Costco, 2x4ltr bottles of Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 semi-synthetic. I took her out for a run on Saturday after the change, and can tell you that the engine sounds smoother, but still growly. It's good! The engine to my mind sounds more solid, and less rattley now. I don't think it's even my imagination either because my mate, who didn't know about me just doing an oil change, and without me prompting him, even made a remark that he thought the engine sounded better!

The other thing i've noticed now is that the oil pressure gauge, after a short time at warmed up idling speed now hovers between the 40 and 60 mark instead of ALWAYS being up near 80. Of course as soon as you accelerate, then the pressure gauge goes up to the 80, and beyond mark every time. I'm not sure if this is purely related to the oil though as the oil filter that came off, was a TINY little Hooper's one, and has now been replaced with a Halfords one, DOUBLE the capacity!?

Maybe Martin can explain the history behind the tiny little Hooper filter!?...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
One things for sure, DMCs do benefit from good oil! Asda are now selling the 10/40 oil I bought for £14.99 (I paid £20-drat!) so nows the time to get out there and sort your oil and filter out for summer-didnt know the Hoopers were making their own brand oil filters, havnt seen them for sale in the Club Shop,sort the advertising out Mary! 8)
P.S. did you use a Halfords own brand oil filter or a Mahle one?
Coopers make very good filters and size isn't everything :wink:
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I remember hearing a story once about a DeLorean being ragged round the Nurburgring, and the subsequent engine failure being
blamed on the size of the oil filter starving the engine of oil.

Not sure if this is was the story given by the driver to make up for 'pilot error' tho..... :wink: