Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do or Die?
Now that i have had my Delorean for 3 and a half months i will share my reasons for originally buying one.

i had planned in turning it into the time BTTF time machine. i have over the last 12 months built all the necessary parts to do so, interior and exterior. i was very excited at the prospect of looking at my finished time machine.

However having owned and driven my Delorean for these last few months i have realised what a damn shame it would be to ruin it by drilling holes screwing parts onto it and generally killing my beautiful car. i now cannot bring myself to do it.

So my question is if you had the choice would you do it ?

Mike
Mike Dargan
VIN #2311
DOC 697
I wouldnt, I like the car for what it is.
Vin #4087
Personally, no! Smile

But - some people have devised kits that only use existing holes, mounting points etc - so everything is reversible.

However, you'll also find the car is much more noticeable both to the public, and to the police, who have pulled members with BTTF cars in the past and 'suggested' that the car is transportered rather than driven, as its a 'distraction'. Getting some attention is nice - I think continuous attention could soon get wearing.

Also, (IMHO), much less likely to be taken seriously or appreciated as a nice, good condition Delorean if it has all the stuff on it. Depends what you want it to be, and what you want to be noticed for, I suppose!

At the end of the day though, it's your car, nobody else's!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
You have the option of sending your car to the Texas dmc factory if you changed your mind.
Again, I wouldn't. Personally I think it's the coolest car of all time anyway. How can you improve on something that's already perfect? Wink
Cheers,
Steve Tucker

VIN 5706, October 81, grey interior, auto, "AXI 81"
DOC 685
...you would take something, which is already "cool" and, even though for most people out there, secretly, respected, into a joke. Ok, a "cool - ish" joke, but a joke non the less.
You will get more respect from everyone, if you leave the poor car alone. It has survived this long, over these many years (in car terms) already. Would you REALLY want to be the person to undo that!?
Show IT the respect IT deserves by simply making it a better example of the car it was intended to be....is my opinion.

(and this is coming from someone how also ....although only very BRIEFLY was thinking of the same thing as yourself)

It's a limited piece of world motoring history under your faithful control and ownership, and with THAT, comes responsibility. Responsibility is what you have paid your money for. For owning that car and carrying the responsibility for it.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)