Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wouldnt it be ice....
so winters here and my Delorean is running like a dream. So to keep it that way I'm doing my little winter checks. i shall be doing a service on it soon oil change, filter etc.

but i don't know what type (brand or where to purchase) of antifreeze to buy. and a rather stupid question is how much to ratio of antifreeze to water

What do you guys do?

Mike
Mike Dargan
VIN #2311
DOC 697
Use proper (read old fashioned) Ethylene Glycol antifreeze not the new: OAT, Organic acid technology stuff that is mainly used in newer vehicles. Personally I use a 50/50 mix and change every 2-3 years. I'm sure others will have opinions to

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
As a direct brand recommendation, I've got Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant (Bright orange colour) in LEX and have been using this for nearly a year, and I can tell the difference in running temperature of the engine now - cooler. Good stuff. You can buy 1ltr bottles of it from Morrison Super Market Petrol Stations for £3-£4 per bottle. I've got this mixed with soft Edinburgh water 50:50 mixture. (Don't use hard water)

Whatever you choose though, as Chris said, you want a Borax-free (important!) Ethylene Glycol type of coolant (VAG G12+ Compliant specification) This is due to the D' having an Aluminium Engine Block which determines these requirements.

You don't want to be putting the more modern, more acidic types of coolants (carboxylate inhibitors) "Organic Acid Technology" or OAT anti-freeze liquids for short, in your engine.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
thanks guys - do i just top up with this mix or drain whats in there first?
Mike Dargan
VIN #2311
DOC 697
Drain the lot out and flush through, take return hose off the radiator (rad back to engine) and check water flows cleanly out, reconnect. I opened the engine block drain plugs and made sure there was no crap in the block, make sure the heater is turned to hot and you shouldnt have any problems refilling the system. Not sure if you should be attempting this at -2! If you get stuck I could help out 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!