Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cam shafts
does anyone know if the Volvo 260 prv has the same cam shafts as the delorean?? I have managed to aquire a set of volvo 260 cylinder heads and what i would like to do is refurb them and get the camshafts modified to performance cams, if someone could advise me because if I can I would like to keep the original delorean heads intact so i can just put these refurbished ones ( when i get round to doing them) straight on. many thanks, jason.
Regards Jay Monk

VIN: # 3928
VIN: # 4989

[Image: garage3.jpg]
Hi Mate,

When we changed Flopsy's cylinder heads in 2003 we fitted Volvo ones (760 I think got from Darren Bowker who was into PRV engines) and they came fully refurbished and complete at £60 each.

Darren was (and probably still is) restoring the only MK1 Renault 30TX known in the UK and I knew him through the Renault Owners Club as I used to be the R5/Clio Registrar.

Hope this helps,

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I "THINK" that the volvo 760 heads are the same but the camshafts would need changing as they would have different cam profiles due to the difference between the 'odd-fire' and 'even-fire' cranks.

NickT.
I believe the 760 is an odd fire engine.
Martin should remember this better then me (although I can also review the extensive video footage of the time to double check :wink: ), but when I bought the heads off of Darren they came complete and refurbished, and I dont recall anything being taken off the old cylinder heads and put in the new ones.

I think we threw the old heads away after they spent months languishing in the back garden............... :roll:

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
NickT Wrote:I "THINK" that the volvo 760 heads are the same but the camshafts would need changing as they would have different cam profiles due to the difference between the 'odd-fire' and 'even-fire' cranks.

NickT.

The 760 and the 260/264 came with the B28E. Later the 760 came with the B280E. Ours is internally the B28F and most of the parts are interchangable although I couldn't say for sure if the cams are identical, they'll certainly work - the only other difference in the engine is the compresion ratio is higher in the E than in the F. As long as it looks like a DeLorean engine, it is an odd-fire, but be careful with Renault engines because they used the 2664cc engine a lot, Volvo didn't. Regarding the heads themselves, if the inlet ports are circular, it's off an odd-fire - with one exception, but there aren't many Z7U Turbo engines kicking about!

I wouldn't be worried about fitting B28E cams in a DeLorean engine. The heads will fit, but examine where the temp gauge sender goes on the DeLorean engine, and on the Volvo engines there's a water outlet which you have to unscrew, and these can be very seized.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Sorry, to clarify, the B280E superceeded the B28E and is even fire.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk