Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stage II from Ed Delorean.eu
Hi folks, a few quick questions.

I've decided the 'Turbo' has to go, I've been looking at the STAGE II NEW ENGINE [v200202] from Ed over at Delorean.eu.

Does anyone know does this engine come 'fully dressed' just needing hooking up to the fuel / electrical / transmission or do I have to transfer anything over from my existing engine. I'm guessing A/C / Alternator / Starter / exhaust manifolds etc but what about fuel rails / intake / k-tronic fuel disty etc? The reason I ask is that given my car current has a hybrid Renault 25 turbo / delorean engine its missing the 'standard' latter items.

How does it compare cost wise / dressing to a Deloren Performance industries unit?

Does anyone have experience of either unit?

Cheers

Simon
VIN 17152 - The Manx 'D'
I suppose the best way to find out is to ask!! Mine is as close to a stage 2 as they get but all home built, and it does make a huge difference but how much if any compared to what you have??? It may be more or less on power I'm not sure though I'm sure someone will reply. Out of interest why do you want to swap? to get back to origional? If the engine does not come dressed the cheapest option is to pick up a 260/early760 Volvo with the same engine and rob the fuelling/Dizzy Etc of that.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply, certainly getting back to stock is one of the bonuses of doing this but the move away from the turbo'd engine can be summarised as follows:

Reliability
Look
Knowledge base (there is one!) / Support
Saleability

The install has lots of niggling issues which together detract from the appeal of the car.
VIN 17152 - The Manx 'D'
interesting reading, as I have decided to change the engine in my car, although
I'll probably stick to a 'stock' PRV engine. Been looking on Ebay for Volvo's but
the only 2 potential victims on Ebay at the mo are both 1990 models so have the
wrong engine AFAIK.

Out of interest, would the later B280 (?) engine go in ok, or would I have to
stick with a B28E - I'm thinking of going the Volvo route cos I imagine the
engine from one of those is gonna be easeir to find then one from a Renault 30 Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Volvo route is the best to go me thinks (and the easiest) though does not really help Manxmann out as you still need the sandwich plate and sump that are D specific and are hard to find (other than DMCH) I think the most you can get is about 160hp from a Volvo lump!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Guinney1971 Wrote:Out of interest, would the later B280 (?) engine go in ok, or would I have to
stick with a B28E - I'm thinking of going the Volvo route cos I imagine the
engine from one of those is gonna be easeir to find then one from a Renault 30 Smile

Like all these things it can be done, but you're probably better trying to get hold of the earlier version B28E as the engine near enough drops straight in. the later 1985/6 onwards models are slightly different and have Electronic Fuel Injecion IIRC.

Trying to locate a good price engine (without 1,000,000,000miles) is tricky especially on eBay/piston heads etc... as they tend to come with the car attached and if it has an MOT then they can pull quite good money.

To get the best deal you need to speak with local scrap yards, trouble is most of them won't have cars that old and if they do they don't hold on to them for breaking as there is so little demand for the parts, they'd rather just get the money for the scrap value of the metal.

The Volvo 760GLE of the early 80's is becoming quite scarce, I don't even think the 2.8 V6 option was that popular back then anyway most probably went for the oil burner option for such a workhorse of a car.

Good fun hunting one down tho lol

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
cheers for the info Chris and James, its deffo something to bear in mind.

I'm 50/50 whether to go down the injectors/plugs/leads route or go for another
engine - daft thing is, a donor car/engine will probably be cheaper to buy then the bits to sort mine :roll:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie