Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi All from Chelmsford Petrolhead
Hi, always been interested in these cars. Possibly getting close to the time in my life when I can afford one. I live in Chelmsford so anyone local who can show me a car or take me for a ride would be great. I know I am not far from PJ Grady and have been down there a coule of years ago to have a look and gain some knowledge. I know front suspension area is where you might find rust, any other pitfalls? Also how much does your insurance cost, I assume classic car insurance applies, hopefully !

I have a 1965 Porsche 912 I am thinking of selling in the spring to raise that cash for a Delorean so anyone fancy a swap!!
2014 Octavia VRS Hatch
2013 Audi A5 Coupe Black Edition
1965 Porsche 912 (One day this will be a DMC)
HI joel
Welcome BTW, you wont go far wrong sticking with PJ Grady's I'm sure they will run through any pit falls with you. Insurance is easy and will come under classic insurance with mileage limitations. We have a discount scheme in place with one of the leading insurer's. If you have not done so please check out our website, it will give you alot of background on the cars; www.deloreans.co.uk I,m not to far away from you as well.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks, how much is the average insurance price for the owners? I am paying £250 fully comp plus guaranteed value of £15k and breakdown cover pan europe. I may try getting aprice out of interest this week. I assume it will be more being a larger engine car?

Any pitfalls of ownership to watch out for/avoid and what sort of servicing do they need.
2014 Octavia VRS Hatch
2013 Audi A5 Coupe Black Edition
1965 Porsche 912 (One day this will be a DMC)
Quote:Thanks, how much is the average insurance price for the owners? I am paying £250 fully comp plus guaranteed value of £15k and breakdown cover pan europe. I may try getting aprice out of interest this week. I assume it will be more being a larger engine car?

I'd be surprised (clearly I dont know your age driving history Etc) if it would be any more than your paying at the moment, I pay circa £100 less than yourself now though I'm middle aged Shock and get free breakdown cover elsewhere Big Grin . Also 3000 mile limit.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
joel Wrote:Hi, always been interested in these cars. Possibly getting close to the time in my life when I can afford one. I live in Chelmsford so anyone local who can show me a car or take me for a ride would be great. I know I am not far from PJ Grady and have been down there a coule of years ago to have a look and gain some knowledge. I know front suspension area is where you might find rust, any other pitfalls? Also how much does your insurance cost, I assume classic car insurance applies, hopefully !

I have a 1965 Porsche 912 I am thinking of selling in the spring to raise that cash for a Delorean so anyone fancy a swap!!

Hi there,

I think you may have e-mailed me directly but I'm having a little trouble with Hotmail acc at the moment.

I'm working in Saffron Walden this friday and I'll have the DeLorean with me then I'm over to Haverhill Cineworld to meet up with another DeLorean owner as we are having our cars on display outside the cinema as part of the BTTF showing on the big screen.

if your in the area pop over for a look or if you find yourself in Colchester let me know, ironically I was in Chelmsford in the DeLorean quite rcently.

James RG
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Hi Joel, welcome to the forum Smile

The DeLorean can be quite an easy car to live with, but as with any car how its been looked after is always paramount.

From my own experience, keep an eye on the cooling system, and also check that the big water hoses in the engine bay aren't getting nicked by the belts that run to the water pump - one of mine was getting close to being cut through by the belt recently (and I know of another car where the belt actually cut through the pipe emptying the cooling system). The other thing to check, is the electrics - (Lord) Lucas (Prince of Darkness) electrics let the car down - the wiring's ok, its just the rubbish connectors :lol: Joking aside tho, there's very little that you cant get for one of these cars - Phill recently had to replace both front calipers and brake pads on his car, and the parts came to £91 including the brake fluid - just ask your local motorfactor for a set of calipers and pads for a 1981 Capri 1.6L Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie