Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports/Tourer?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvVpRP2_IIs[/youtube]

Looking at the dealer prospectus again it seems to me that the original pitch for the DMC12 was as a Grand Tourer, when production cars were sold in '81 wasn't it promoted as a sports car.
It looks like DMC targeted a different market with the same product which allowed the media to compare the DeLorean with Ferraris, porsches and corvettes.
Today owners have found ways to improve the performance and handling of their car (free flow exhausts, suspension upgrades, tuning, etc) but back in the day (with the emission controls) perhaps they should have waited until a sports package or the twin turbo option was available before calling it a full blown sports car.
It just seems to me that especially in the US, since the euro spec cars had more HP, the car was definitely marketed to the wrong people and that they should have stuck to their original proposal.

Yes, I know this was one of the many managing mistakes at DMC that occured and that many issues finished the company but its another of those 'what if' stories.

Driving the car over the weekend, the D was cruising well through the twisty Welsh roads and it was a very comfortable drive. Maybe its a sports tourer? lol
DOC 116
VIN 6237
I'd go with sport tourer.
I would have said Grand Tourer after my performance at the music video shoot we did, when you all left me for dead....until I relised I left the hand brake on ! lol :lol:
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
Quote:until I relised I left the hand brake on

Surprised it made any difference, they usually dont! :lol: Shock :wink:
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:until I relised I left the hand brake on

Surprised it made any difference, they usually dont! :lol: Shock :wink:
Chris

haha :lol:

well I dont know what Flopsy was on that day, she was flying (eh Stuart :wink: )

I've always referred to the car as a grand tourer rather then a sports car, the De is far too comfy to be a sports car (and slow too -most modern eurobox hot hatches would pee all over a De nowadays).
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I would go with GT

I avoided all the major roads in favour of A and B roads on the way home from Chirk and I have to say the drive was fantastic.

The D is really smooth and easy to drive. I'll be honest, I have no idea what time I set off, or how long the journey took, but I enjoyed every minute of it! Mr Green
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
RichH Wrote:I would go with GT

I avoided all the major roads in favour of A and B roads on the way home from Chirk and I have to say the drive was fantastic.

The D is really smooth and easy to drive. I'll be honest, I have no idea what time I set off, or how long the journey took, but I enjoyed every minute of it! Mr Green

Nice one fella. I wondered where you disappeared to.
I just followed my crummy SatNav and followed behind Mr.Withers for a while, then my SatNav took me on a lovely run......straight to the M6 Toll where I had to get out and pay! Pffff! Great stuff!
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
good old shatnav eh Paul.... :roll:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie