Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digital Clock
S3Envy Wrote:Rissy, fancy taking up a position as official club horologist! :wink:

I'm tempted to do mine now as it works most of the time but does act similarly to Mike's & I'm sure there's a dry joint somewhere, however I need to invest in some new decent soldering gear as mine is crappy old kit I used to use on my RC cars as a kid!

Horologist in the sense of trying to recover old to working again, or instrumenting the development of all things new?

...Now you're just being lazy! lol! My earlier posts with great pics lay it all out for you. As long as you're careful, anyone can fix these. Maybe you should be investing in a new soldering iron anyway?

(I'd gladly take a look at it for you, but of course, being fragile and irreplaceable items, any damage caused as a result to someone elses property would make one feel quite guilty, and it's this that puts me off in all honesty.)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Haha! I'm not so sure it's laziness, more fear than anything else!

I know completely what you mean about working on valuables of others, I would be reluctant too! I'm actually looking for a new soldering-iron as we speak, if it's just one dry-joint I'll try to deal with that rather than desoldering the whole unit even though it would be peace of mind to overhaul the entire unit.

I'm still very interested in complete new units with possible battey back-up as I always switch the main battery off when it's not in use.
S3Envy Wrote:Haha! I'm not so sure it's laziness, more fear than anything else!

I know completely what you mean about working on valuables of others, I would be reluctant too! I'm actually looking for a new soldering-iron as we speak, if it's just one dry-joint I'll try to deal with that rather than desoldering the whole unit even though it would be peace of mind to overhaul the entire unit.

I'm still very interested in complete new units with possible battey back-up as I always switch the main battery off when it's not in use.

Nick H is the best person to pursue the Russian front. He's the one who started that ball rolling.

I'd overhaul your unit completely. literally take it all apart and redo everything from scratch. That's what i did, although it DID do that mostly as I wanted the photographs i did for the forum here, for prosperity sake and future use for other people etc. But as you say, it also gave me peace of mind too. Once i got started, it was like i couldn't stop myself going the whole hog! lol!

...Try it. If you get too nervous etc, then we'll discuss further. :wink:
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
S3Envy Wrote:I'm still very interested in complete new units with possible battey back-up as I always switch the main battery off when it's not in use.

It's a bit of a crude solution, but a mini lead-acid battery in parallel with the clock and a diode in series would probably do the trick?
I've just posted in the for sale section the new LED clock unit I've created. Take a peek....

I've got five green versions ready to go, and blue, red and amber colours available to order. £55 including P&P.

[Image: IMG_1141_2.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2984.JPG]
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk