Poll: 'New' DeLorean? Choose the statements you agree with
Yes, unconditionally.
Yes, for something new and daring in the spirit of DeLorean.
Yes, for a well-designed true successor of the DMC-12.
Maybe. But please don't whack a DMC badge on just anything.
No. But if someone could do it properly, I'm open minded.
No. Impossible!
Solstice meets DMC: Love it!
Solstice meets DMC: Loathe it!
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DE LOREAN DESIGN - Your thoughts and opinions wanted!
Hi All

I will be writing a piece for the DOC UK magazine DeLorean News, examining the design of the iconic DeLorean. A few of you will know that I am a qualified car designer and during my work have often incorporated the DeLorean and touched on some of its possible design values as reference or study. I'll be including historical comment on the original body design and styling decisions, related technical design, plus how the design is perceived today and how it might possibly influence future design thinking (especially if ever anyone follows through with the controversial idea of another DeLorean/DeLorean-badged/DeLorean-inspired automobile). We all love the car for different reasons, but I'm sure the design of it has made some sort of impact on each of us. This article had a lot of common interest so I'm hoping to gather research and guage a cross-section of opinions and ideas from its most dedicated followers.

So here are a few questions to think about. Some of them might seem a bit stupid, some repetitive, and some are placed deliberately to be questioned, some might have factual answers and some are purely subjective, so comment whatever you think.

What is it about DeLorean design that you like?
What do you see as the DeLorean's core design values, in terms of both physical design (what you see) and a less-quanitifiable design philosphy (what is subjective/feeling/opinion based)?
What to you defines the philosophy and 'identity'of the DeLorean brand?
What do you think a DeLorean should always 'have' or 'do'? And why?
We've all seen (or drawn) the ideas, the photoshopped images, both the fan versions and the could-be-serious concepts of a 'new' DeLorean, or suggestions of DeLorean-badged vehicles (which may not be directly relevant to the original DeLorean, but will have influence on the perception of DMC)...thoughts and opinions?
The idea of a 'new' DeLorean throws up some issues. For example, consider how some elements of the DeLorean vision were forward-thinking at its time of conception. How could the design follow the same philosophies of the original if a DeLorean was to be designed today? In short, what might produce a modern 'equivalent'?
Are there any modern concept cars (ie post DeLorean) or ideas that have make you think 'DeLorean'?
And finally, whatever the case, what do you think (or what do you know) the future will be of DeLorean (both the car and the name)?

Do share anything you've read, or know, or rumours you've heard regarding the 'future', or anything factual relating to the past and present.
All thoughts will be much appreciated.

Demelza
I am in my thirties so when I was growing up the Delorean was simply a really cool movie star.

I was never into cars as such but always loved the shape. It always looked to my 9 year-old mind like it wouldn't feel out of place being driven by one of my Star Wars action figures.

Now I am lucky enough to own a real DMC I appreciate its sublime design features more than ever. Other DMC owners will tell you that (with the possible exception of a Bugatti Veyron or the Batmobile) no other car garners more interest or turns more heads than a Delorean. The reason being that everyone knows what they are but few have ever seen one in the flesh, and what a sight to see. The first time I drove my DMC was a long journey back home up the M1. I had at least 3 different cars with people in open their windows and lean out at 70mph on a motorway simply to take photos. I had drivers indicate with frantic hand gestures that they wanted to buy it from me right there and then in the fast lane and of course everyone who I drove past did the notorious DMC double-take (Delorean owners will know all about this if they've ever used their rear view mirror).

To the casual observer nothing can prepare you for just how unlike any other car today it looks. The massive low, wide profile, the tight front end and the huge back wheels and of course all the familiar party pieces like the doors and the shiny bodywork.

But most of all the thing that absolutely seals the deal for me is that it is the world's most optimistic car.

Think about it. Every single design reference these days from radios to clothes and from music to cars is all about the past. Retro is cool, but it's also deeply cynical, stating firmly that in uncertain times - yesterday was probably better than today.
Here's a car that dares to announce that tomorrow will be better. And next year even better than that - and to prove it here is a design that's still gonna look like a bad-ass UFO forty years from now. It was designed in the late 70s on the cusp of an era when anything was possible and it still looks amazing. So for all of the mistakes that hang unfairly around this car's neck, you could never let it be said that it isn't completely ballsy, brave and truly ahead of it's time.

Pages have been written about the back-story, the factory, the money, the drugs, Margaret Thatcher and John Delorean himself, but history has proved that, as is so often the case, a true innovator is not always appreciated in his time and his creation and vision was simply too 'out there' for a market that held icons of mediocrity like the Ford Cortina or the Austin Allegro up as middle class status symbols.

My DMC looks as good and works exactly as well as it did when it drove off the assembly line 30 years ago. And I challenge you to say the same about any other item in your life.
Forget the Feds, the Flux Capacitors, the Finances and the f**k-ups. This was one man's dream. He made it happen and its legacy will be driving around and marvelled at long after we are gone.
And if that isn't the very definition of a classic, I don't know what is.

Paul Farrer
DMC Owner
Vin: SCEDT26T9DD016983
August 1982
Grey LHD
"Forget the Feds, the Flux Capacitors, the Finances and the f**k-ups. This was one man's dream. He made it happen and its legacy will be driving around and marvelled at long after we are gone.
And if that isn't the very definition of a classic, I don't know what is."

amen to that!!!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Paul that was excellent. Did you read my last article in DeLorean News where I wrote a little about the design philosophy of the car (before describing a B&O installation)? I talked about an inspiring seminar I attended on 'optimistic futures' and how the DeLorean might have been designed with this in mind. What you've said is bang on the same line.

What do you think Claire? Any thoughts to add?