Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan blows hot when set to cold?
Hi All,

something that I thought was my imagination last summer (ah, remember that?), was Flopsy's fan feeling like it was blowing hot air into the cabin footwell even though it was sent to 'vent' and cold air (my air con doesnt work yet btw).

I thought it was maybe normal for a black interior car with no air con, but having read Chris Hawes's article in DeLorean News #35, now I'm not so sure - although Flopsy's "symptoms" arnt exactly the same as Chris's.....

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Cheers,

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
It could be the Water valve Claire, i cable tied mine up until the weather changed, that way you can set the fan on any setting and the matrix remains cold. I remember Rich H telling me it should stay shut on the first notch so maybe its piped up wrong hope this helps TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Very common prob. There's a triangle of foam that was originally glued to the back of the heater box where the heater matrix pipes enter it. The glue dries out after 25 years and it flaps about and hot air leaks out of a large gap into the footwell.

I get this problem in the workshop fairly regularly and use a flap of dynamat to replace the foam.

You need to lie in the driver's footwell and reach up behind the heater box to find it.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
cheers for the replies Tourettes & Martin Smile

Any laying upside down in a DeLorean's footwell though will have to go on the back burner for the foreseable future, as my doctor has just signed me off for 2 weeks (minimum) and prescribed me Codeine!

Thanks again,
In fact Hawsey has included a lovely photo of exactly this problem in the club mag (which arrived this morning!)
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
well thats a good coincidence Smile
bozzzydmc Wrote:well thats a good coincidence Smile

well, it was Hawsey's article that prompted my post! :wink:

Cheers
Just had a quick look at my back of heater sponge goings on and my sponge seems to be un-glued. To do this i nearly broke my arm. Is this job a take the dash out kind of a job or what. How is it done?
Dan. The tree man
Not here for a long time. Just here for a good time
Live up to all you know. Nothing more. Nothing less
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor
Dan, I gave explicit instructions on how to do it in the DOC 35 article. Cheap fix yes, easy no. It can be done though
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Thanx Chris, bit dim of me. I'd just read that as well. I'll have another go in a bit. I will be doing it blind though as i can't see round therre when my arm is in the way.
Dan. The tree man
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor
ditto, it is all in the arm but as 'the tree man' you should be able to branch out a little more than most Big Grin
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Chris Hawes Wrote:as 'the tree man' you should be able to branch out a little more

I'm just waiting for the Claire Usher "eye roll" on that one Chris :wink:
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Phil Peters Wrote:
Chris Hawes Wrote:as 'the tree man' you should be able to branch out a little more

I'm just waiting for the Claire Usher "eye roll" on that one Chris :wink:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:lol:

Claire
Unfortunately my arms are quite thick because the trees i plant are VERY BIG. Tried last night to reach round the heater and just about managed to put a bit of duck tape on the sponge to see if that would solve the problem but it's gonna have to be glued. Time to enlist the help of a small child. Is it still legal to make children work in small places. Anyway i couldn't care less if it is or is'nt. ''Nephew come hither lad''.
Dan. The tree man
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor