Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Door Seal Adhesive
Hi All

Has anyone got a good product for sticking new outer door seals on? Also for getting the old crud off ....Ive heard of it in the past but cant remember what it was called
( Tiger seal seems a little extreme Smile )
Hi Mike, thats the best thing iv used on mine, i tried contact adhesive but it was rubbish. I put mine on last august and they havent moved at all.
cheers Tony TT Smile
At www.pjgrady.com you can order great 3M products for this purpose.
Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN
# 02017
# 02136
# 03692
# 03980
# 05414
# 06201
# 06759
# 06833
# 06975
# 07067
# 16647
When I won the DMCL outer door seal kit at Lotus I got :

Wurth SaBesto Industry Cleaner for getting the old stuff off.
Wurth SaBesto Silicone Acetate for sticking it on.

try www.wurth.co.uk although not a very informative website!
James Macpherson
doc 129
vin 2250
Bedfordshire
Thanks for the plug James :-D

Our outer seals are made in a tear-resistant silicone and we had to do quite a bit of research to find an adhesive to bond it on with - hence the silicone acetate. It will work on regular rubber seals but there's better stuff out there

I too had nightmares with contact adhesive and ended up using Bond & Seal from Wurth (notice a pattern here?) and I could be wrong, but didn't you buy your cartridge from me, Tony? (Wurth own Sikaflex, and Tiger Seal is a retail brand for Sikaflex. Bond & Seal is the same stuff basically, but cheaper if you buy it in boxes of 12 as we do).

The only snag with the cartridge based adhesives is you have to leave your car for some time (ideally overnight) with the door open.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Hi Guys, sorry to dig up an old thread...

I'm probably going to try and tackle the interior this weekend including fitting some new outer door seals. However, it's absolutely caked in some of the areas where the old seals came off! :roll:

Is the Wurth SaBesto Industry Cleaner still the best stuff to get all the old muck off?

Any alternatives or other tips please?

Many thanks

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
Hi Carl,

I had to scrape a lot of my old adhesive off. The best thing I found was a 1/2" wide wood chisel (very sharp) came off a treat.
Be careful not to slip as it WILL scratch.
the 1/2" is small enough to do any area as it will be covered by the new seal.

Finished off with Acetone for a real deep clean. You'll get it from any fibreglass business. (boat builders etc) I pay about £5 for 5 litres.

Good luck
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Darren C Wrote:Finished off with Acetone for a real deep clean. You'll get it from any fibreglass business. (boat builders etc) I pay about £5 for 5 litres.

Good luck
D

christ thats cheap! You coming to Eurotec? Can you bring us a couple of
5 litre containers of it?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Claire Usher Wrote:
Darren C Wrote:Finished off with Acetone for a real deep clean. You'll get it from any fibreglass business. (boat builders etc) I pay about £5 for 5 litres.

Good luck
D

christ thats cheap! You coming to Eurotec? Can you bring us a couple of
5 litre containers of it?

Hi Claire,

Perks of living by the sea between Southampton and Chichester, there's more boat builders than you can shake a stick at down here.
The ones I use buy the acetone in barrels (205 litres a time, and put in to large vats) I take my container in and they fill it up for a fiver. Another boat builder who's a little more tight up, sells it in 5 litre containers for about £8.50, I only use him when the others are closed Big Grin

Not sure about bringing a tanker of the stuff to eurotech as it VERY flammable. I suggest you try your local fibreglass fabricators and see how you get on. Most are keen to hear it's to help restore a Delorean, and may not even charge you the first time you visit if you take your own container Big Grin Big Grin

Don't just think it's a boat builder you need; there are architectural, water treatment/storage, and Automotive fibreglass fabricators throughout the UK.

Don't go to trade counter (like Frosts) you'll pay through the teeth, that's how they are in business!

Good luck

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Just a quick one...

Cleaned up all around the stainless edging (came up a treat by the way). Great tips again Darren, the chisel worked perfectly struggled to get any Acetone, luckily my good wife (who also happens works in Boots) got me a good nail polish remover which contained high levels of acetone. It was just the job, but it does stink! Mmmm cosmeticy.... Tongue

Just got to tackle the windscreen surrounds now, I take it is safe enough to use the same method to do this, or should I be using something a bit more delicate?

Cheers
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
Hi Carl,

The windscreen surrounds are a tricky area. You may find when the old seals come off they have already taken some black paint off with them. The original black coating is quite fragile, and will chip and peel easily.

You've got two choices here Carl:

Option 1.
If the visible black painted trims are in good condition, be very, very careful in removing old glue. DO NOT use the acetone, as it will fetch the black coating off in a milli second Shock
Use a small chisel gently and carefully remove any stubbon glue, Try a 1/4 " this time, dont slip. With all the will in the world you'll still take off some black paint at some point, but keep it minimal and under where the seal goes.
You can then touch up the area beneath the seal with a good quality satin/matt black paint and glue the new seals on a couple of days later when the paints fully dry. 8)

Option 2

If the windscreen trims are a chipped/faded, scratched already, nows a good time to take them off completely, the glue's the least of your worries. :lol:
Take them down to your local powder coater and get them refurbished.
Refit and then glue your nice new seals on top. Big Grin

You could always do an in between and scrape the old glue off without a care in the world, rub them down with wet and dry and respray in situ with Satin Black. But it really depends on you and the quality of job/result your after.

I've got a few tips on gluing the Bugg*rs on I'll give you, but one thing at a time eh! :lol: :lol:

Good luck

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
I've just been re-doing my outer door seals as they were a bit bodged on before and coming away in a few places. The rear ones seem easy enough and I'm using tiger seal.

The front ones though, I can see me scratching up the windscreen surrounds as mentioned, so thought maybe a good time to re-paint them. Can anyone recommend a paint and primer for doing these? Also are they glued on or clipped on, or both?

Thanks
VIN: 6511
Hi Dan,

The best primer is a self etch, you can get it from Frosts. I also recommend a good quality satin black spray. DO NOT use Halfords paints, they've changed the formula to acrylic and its pants Sad

You need to find a celulose, or better still 2 pack. Failing that the best method by far is to get them powder coated if you really want a stone resistant quality finish.

The trims are fixed with screws, but you'll probably find that some old tiger bond/adhesive will have got in between, and will hold them on. The screws will also be corroded so dont be surprised if you have to get a dremel on them (DO NOT use a hand grinder, as 1 slip and your trim will be knackered)

Good luck
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574