Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 4748 home at last!
Thought you all might like to know that I have finally become an owner..! I picked up VIN 4748 from Martin's yesterday and drove her 150 miles back to her new home.

The journey back was interesting.... car performed wonderfully, and I quickly adapted to the driving position and width of the car on the road. Had to deal with several traffic jams, roadworks, the M25 toll, heavy rain, and hitting the Cambridge A10 just in rush hour but we made it home safely.

Unfortunately at some point on the M25 the driver's window decided to get stuck down and then the heavens opened. Had to pull in to the services and effect a repair with a plastic bag and gaffer tape (which actually performed admirably, if a little noisy on the way up the M11), which was unelegant but it worked.

Have to say a big thanks to my Dad who racked up 414 miles that day, picking me up and driving me down to pick up the car, then following me all the way back to Ely, then heading back home again! Big Grin

Main thing is car and passenger got home safely with no other incidents! I took some photos in the morning sun.. please excuse the plastic bag on the window..! Number plates are due to be replaced with a more DeLorean-friendly size shortly!

I have a feeling that the window motor itself has died, since the passenger one still works nicely. Sad Martin has very kindly offered to fit new motors at cost, although I am wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for either moving the window up manually or making a temporary repair until then?

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
Top stuff Simon. must have been at least two years since you came to see mine, nice to see you have finally got the car of your dreams, I'm sure it will be great! Dont forget if you need any help just ask, it's what we are all hear for.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
great news Simon, sorry to hear your window packed up tho! Check its not summat daft
like a fuse or a loose connection tho before you go forking out for expensive window motors -
this is on my list of Flopsy Jobs as my passenger window gave up the ghost a couple of months
ago - thankfully in the closed position.

Congratulations -and enjoy!! Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Having thought about it, mine if I let it go to far down (window) it gets caught below the level of the door trim and this stops it coming back up, resulting in giving the top of the door trim a whack to free it. It may be something as simple as this.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks!

I hope the window is something as simple as it being stuck under the door trim, but I would have thought that I would hear the motor trying to do something when I press the switch. I will investigate over the weekend - I will also try swapping the switches over to see if there is a loose connection... The passenger one works fine. The driver's side motor was very noisy when it did work, which I understand means that it might be on its last legs.
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
Well done Simon, Its a great feeling isn't it....bet you haven't stopped smiling since you picked it up. Big Grin
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Yes, its great. I got some nice new number plates this morning, so fitted them and put the number plate fascia back on, fired her up and went for a little cruise to Ely and back Smile

Brilliant Smile
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
Congrats on finally becoming an owner. I know youve been after one for a long time. Now the fun starts Smile
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Nice new number plates and the rear numberplate fascia back on..

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Spent a little while this afternoon applying some "Back to black" on the louvers and back bumper. Needs another pass, but at least they are now black rather than a faded grey. Cleaned the top of the engine cover and underbody too!

Just realised that I went out on my first 'solo' drive in the De today too Smile
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
best stuff we've found for the black bits is Autoglymn's "green snot" - its their bumper cleaner
stuff, but if you go into a motor factors (not Halfrauds) and ask for green snot they'll know
exactly what you mean. Brings all the trim bits up a treat, including the louvres, engine cover,
bumpers, side mouldings, etc.

Any news on the window yet? Have you got a multimeter you can connect up and check that
the motor is getting power? If you want to snap up the last place at GKN on the 19th, then
RichH and Phill Wright will be there, so can always have a look for you if you want, as they
are techy bods when it comes to electrics. Smile
hi

i have a couple of new window units one for each side.

could let them go for £75 each which is a real bargain.

be prepared though as they are a sod to fit, and have their own brackets.

they are the ones sold by all the vendors.

was changing mine originally but lubricated the originals and they worked fine!.

as the car is sold these are surplus.

Regards

Steve
ex vin 1621
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Welcome to DeLorean ownership from one new owner to another!! Its a great feeling isnt it!!

As others have said, Id check the switches, fuse and connections on your window first. But having said that the motors should be pretty quiet so if yours way noisy maybe it was on its way out.

Id like to try this green snot stuff, is that the proper name for it? :lol: if I go and ask for that am I going to get laughed out of the shop :oops: :oops: :lol:
Would be good to bring the the engine cover and underbody between the engine cover and windows up nicely.

Enjoy the car!! Big Grin
lol Phil, seriously mate, when I lived in Belper, I called into the little motor factors round the
corner from me, and I was looking at the Autoglym rack, and the guy asked what I was
after and I said "the Autoglym green snot for bumpers" - he knew exactly what I meant and
showed me which bottle I needed.

Simples!! Big Grin
'Green snot' sounds disgusting, but works a treat!!

Happy motoring!

Mary
phil349 Wrote:Id like to try this green snot stuff, is that the proper name for it?

It's official name is Autoglym Bumper Care, it's very effective, and 1 bottle lasts years, it can be found on
eBay for about £6 inc P&P or from your local car parts place.

James

**EDIT**
Actually on eBay it's only £5.79 with free P&P see link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOGLYM-BUMPER-CA...286.c0.m14
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK