Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volvo Upgrade parts
A Van Wrote:
Quote:Not sure on the exhust as yet. I dont run a performance one and running a volvo 260 engine get 152hp (flywheel) out of it. Unfortunatly no one has done a definitive of what changing things actually does. Does a posh £900 exhaust make a difference? It should, but there is no proof that it does as (ASFAIK) no one has done a before and after test. If I can afford one I will get one then run mine down to the guys that did that did the dyno runs and see.

Hi Chris

We have published the results on certain cars dyno'd at Eurotec this year.
One car as standard, one stock with exhaust etc...one with stock engine with Volvo fuelling and so forth, and of course one complete Volvo engine swap.

Thanks for that, however as I'm sure your aware despite trying to register using my name and Email address for some reason my account never seems to be approved. Therefore am unable to view the topic you linked to. Perhaps you could copie the results on to this forum?

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Chris. You are registered on the EuroTec forum - member number 39 - username "Chris Williams". I have reset your password though, so just go through the "I have forgot my password" process you will be able to get in. Just type in your user name and your email address
A Van Wrote:Hi Chris. You are registered on the EuroTec forum - member number 39 - username "Chris Williams". I have reset your password though, so just go through the "I have forgot my password" process you will be able to get in. Just type in your user name and your email address
Ahhh, now I see. That was the 'other account' Mike set up for me. I did not realise it had been changed to my real name. Cheers for sorting that.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks for all the replies everyone, its turned into a very informative discussion!
I have decided for now as the car is running well to leave the fuel system as it is, its really only a small power increase, so for now I dont really need it and while its running well id rather keep it running well.
Ive given it a full service - new spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil & filter. Ignition leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm have been checked out and all appear quite new anyway. Also replaced all the copper washers on the fuel lines, replaced most of the old vacuum pipes, found one which wasnt actually connected so sorted that, and given it all a good check over while I had all the K-jet stuff off. Ive also removed the heat stove/hot air feed and related pipework, etc, as its a restrictive waste of time and fitted a new cold air feed pipe (still looks quite original and better I think).
Had a good drive out today and its pulling quite well, feels a bit more responsive and also idles really well, nice and smooth, but we'll see how long that lasts!

I am still going to get the exhaust system, that to me is well worth having, getting rid of those small, restrictive exhaust manifolds and the cat should give a nice power increase, and I like the looks of it too over my '81 exhaust. Whats the sound like of the system from Nott's?
Don's exhaust is louder than the stock, but not intrusively so. It definitely makes itself heard under acceleration (and sounds great, like the car should sound), but providing your various soundproofing is still in place it's not too bad at all on the motorway. I think there might be a thread somewhere else on here where the exhaust and how it sounds has been discussed? You might be able to find it with a search...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
You can order them in quiet, medium and noisy - AFAIK, most people have ordered the medium
ones, but they are still pretty noisy tbh, so if I could afford one I'd probably go for a quiet
system as I'd find the noise intrusion too annoying after a while.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
This is my automatic with Don't exhaust.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3rTlaQ3hXY[/youtube]

Probably sounds alot louder than it is, I can have the stereo on at a normal level during motorway trips and I don't find it much louder than stock, my car has always been quiet for some reason.
You only really notice it when you floor it as you will probably see /hear from the video

And yes the steering wheel is now on the right way round lol!

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Guinney1971 Wrote:You can order them in quiet, medium and noisy - AFAIK, most people have ordered the medium
ones, but they are still pretty noisy tbh, so if I could afford one I'd probably go for a quiet
system as I'd find the noise intrusion too annoying after a while.

Claire, I think they ditched the loudness options and just stuck with the 'Medium' setup, anyone passing by is more than welcome to ride shotgun in my car to appreciate the noise (Colchester).

it really is desceptive, I'm so pleased with the level of noise, I was a bit worried that it would drone at motorway speed, but it really is just slightly louder than stock. I'm sure they would still offer a quieter option if you wanted, but I wanted the sound to suit the cars looks.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
ah right, didnt know they'd changed - I know folks who've ordered the medium systems, and
wished they'd gone for a 'quiet' one instead.

I think alot of it is also down to the individual car too - my car is really noisy inside compared
to Sorbet - whether its cos one has had a cossetted life, and one hasnt, who knows..... :?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Slightly OT, but the yanks have discussed some of the various reasons why some D's may be noisier than others (and yes, you're not necessarily stuck with a noisy car!)
http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=...insulation
VIN 7176
DOC 643
When I first got my car you could hear alot of engine noise while inside the car, worse when driving. I found the sealant around the rear window had come away and un-stuck along bottom edge, the sides and top were still stuck. Ive re-sealed along the bottom and now its much quieter inside the car.