Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prototype twin turbo DeLorean engine for sale!
Hi

Check out the links here

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/19/ebay ... pe-engine/

and here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELOREAN ... ccessories

Worth someone saving this prototype!

Also, is http://www.delorean.com/ the company that purchased rights to produce parts and also bought drawings etc from the factory?

Are indeed all the engineering drawings preserved somewhere?

Please forgive my ignorance. I'm not so knowledgable on DeLoreans and my interest stems from its use of a Volvo V6.

regards

Shimon
Just...wow! Shock Big Grin
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
Hi Shimon, welcome to the DOC-UK forum Smile

Interesting find that - I'm sure there were a couple of cars fitted with Legend Engines, best
person to speak to would be Chris Nicholson at PJ Grady Europe as I think he's actually
worked on one of them.

I noticed that the engine in this listing does have Ed Bernstein's 'DeLorean One' logo on it,
so that would back up its history to a certain extent.

DMC Houston, owned and run by Stephen Wynne, AFAIK bought the rights to the DeLorean
Motor Company name some years ago, and also bought up all the spare parts that were left
from the factory after it closed down. Its an amazing place to visit, and I will never forget
seeing rows of doors, panels, windscreens, louvres, etc, all in their original crates, in addition
to all the other inumerable spares that they have - including several dozen crate engines that
had never been used.

I wouldnt be surprised if DMC Houston didnt buy this prototype engine to display in their
showroom - if not them, then certainly one of the big DeLorean collectors in the US will
probably snap it up. Reserve depending of course...... :wink:

So, what's your wheels of choice? Obviously a Volvo something........ there's a guy near us
with a 262 Bertone in his front garden including a built in original car telephone! He keeps
promising to restore it........
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hello

Thanks for your replies. It seems the engine went for $11,000 in the end. Hopefully to a collector or somewhere to be preserved!

Yep, I’m a Volvo fan but have always liked the DeLorean prompted by the Back to the Future films! Since finding out it shares a Volvo engine, I’ve taken a greater interest in them. Would like to own one but they’re a bit pricey at the moment.

Thing is, I’ve never actually seen on for real so I think I should try to make some DOC meets at some point!

S
Whereabouts are you located?

Theres often summat going on - next Bank Hol Monday there's Thoresby Hall in Nottinghamshire,
and on 20th September we'll be at Coventry Transport Museum for a meet up and our AGM.

Owners are dotted round the country, so I'm sure someone would be willing to show you round
their car if they are local to you.
Hello

Does anyone know the bhp of the Legend engines?

regards

S
shimon340 Wrote:Hello

regards

S

My feeling is that they were about 220bhp but I can't remember where I read that...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Guinney1971 Wrote:Hi Shimon, welcome to the DOC-UK forum Smile

Interesting find that - I'm sure there were a couple of cars fitted with Legend Engines, best
person to speak to would be Chris Nicholson at PJ Grady Europe as I think he's actually
worked on one of them.

I noticed that the engine in this listing does have Ed Bernstein's 'DeLorean One' logo on it,
so that would back up its history to a certain extent.

There's been alot of talk about this engine on various other forums, from what I've heard it's just a mock up engine and isn't actually a running example, it also lacks many of the original Legend components.

There was alot of ill feeling that it was being miss-sold

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
jerzybondov Wrote:
shimon340 Wrote:Hello

regards

S

My feeling is that they were about 220bhp but I can't remember where I read that...

I may have been slightly out - just found this thread on dmctalk mentioning 300bhp+

But who really knows unless you get the engine back in tip-top condition, at the same boost level it was originally set to and stick it on the dyno... Big Grin
VIN 7176
DOC 643
trouble is, when you get to silly bhp on one of these, then you have to beef up other stuff -
Martin G is the best person to speak to about that, but I *think* from what he's said in the
past, you'll have to start beefing up the clutch and other items to cope with the extra power.
Sorry, here's that link to the thread on dmctalk: http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=...02&page=12

Pretty sure that Legend had to change most of the internals in the PRV, although I don't know what they did transmission wise...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
It's quite possible to take a 2.8 turbo to the point where it'll break the transmission, and certainly well exceeds the torque the clutch will sustain.

Having said that, even in moderate tune a turbo PRV will provide blistering performance compared to a stock DeLorean engine.

Doing a turbo *properly* the way Legend were trying - ie with the odd-fire and K-Jet would be evtremely difficult, time consuming and expensive, and rather pointless when the 2.5 Renault turbo is native to the same application. Looks differen though Mr Green
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Hi there - I know of one of the two original Delorean Turbos in Wellington New Zealand - the owner owns a plethora of paraphenalia including a fully restored RHD Delorean, a super tidy but original twin turbo LHD Delorean, a heap of original plans and also the ceremonial shovel that was used to turn the first sod in the construction of the factory..

Am epically jealous of him and want either/both of his cars.. :-D
Hi Chris, welcome to the DOC-UK!! Big Grin

They sound like some fab cars and memorabilia he has there. Would you be able to get any pictures for us or maybe ask him if he'd like to do an article for our club magazine?

Are there many DeLorean's in New Zealand?

Regards,
Chris Smith Wrote:Hi there - I know of one of the two original Delorean Turbos in Wellington New Zealand - the owner owns a plethora of paraphenalia including a fully restored RHD Delorean, a super tidy but original twin turbo LHD Delorean, a heap of original plans and also the ceremonial shovel that was used to turn the first sod in the construction of the factory..

Am epically jealous of him and want either/both of his cars.. :-D

Guessing that would be club member Trevor Fitzjohn's cars then... A very nice collection

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584