Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOT failure
Phill Wright Wrote:If, when you take the rear wheels off, you may find that the actual disc friction material has dropped off the metal plate on one of the handbrake pads - this has happened to both mine and Claire's car! -
Phill

(Claire's Partner, we are about 5 miles from Mansfield BTW)

I had this too, the hand brake pad had come loose from its backing and became jammed against the disk, oh the smell of red hot metal on metal!

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
The Astra belt was actually a very close match. I'd already removed the inner panel a few years ago to replace the speakers so it was just a case of unbolting the old belt and removing the door seal. The bracket on the end is almost identical, so no need to cut the webbing, and once unwound the buckle and top bracket slipped off and I replaced them with my originals. The bracket that holds the mechanism to the frame needed a slight adjustment as it had some sort of locating tab that I had to remove. One tip for anyone about to replace theirs is don't let the mechanism re-wind it's self after you've taken the belt out!! I didn't think it would matter much and spent a good hour putting it back together Cry . My only criticism would be the last foot or so doesn't retract without a little help. I guess the Astra is a little bigger and so the mechanism didn't need to pull it as far, simple fix though, just going to cut a foot out of the belt when I have the time.

Thanks for looking for the rear disc Alistair, I may have found a place selling them singly for £35.....I'll keep you posted.

If all goes to plan with the re-test she'll be at the next meet Claire Big Grin .

Jordan
Why not get them 'skimmed' if they are not really bad. I had mine done £10.00 a peice. PS I'm another one just up the road from you in South Normanton
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
I have notice with my car if I'm crawling along in heavy trafic and apply the brakes gently it feel like they are going on and off slightly. I'm assuming that is a sign of slightly warped discs as well?
VIN: 6511
After a bit of digging I ordered some new discs today, £76 delivered for the pair, not too bad and the guy said they'd be with me tomorrow! So, if anyone's interested in a rear disc I'll have one going cheap. Now a big favour to ask, would anyone be available Friday afternoon or anytime Sunday to give some advice or even lend a hand fitting? There could be some beers involved.....

Jordan
Where are you in the country?

PS: you'd be better installing discs as a pair, rather than just one.
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
Hi Jordan,

would ordinarily be over to you like a shot to help out, but unfortunately we're off tomorrow
to the big national Vauxhall-Opel rally, and wont be back till Sunday tea time.

Not sure if Birksie is able to come down and help you out, he's not far from you in Worksop,
or failing that if you can hang on till possibly next weekend and we might be free on Saturday
(depending on whether or not we have to take Sorbet down to P J Grady or not).

Hope you get it sorted ok either way Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
No worries Claire, I've read up on how to change the disc and it doesn't sound too hard. Rich's given me a few tips and said he'll try to come by but he's at a show this weekend too.

I wish I could wait untill next weekend but the last day for the free re-test is wednesday so I need to get it done if possible.

Should be fine, more the bleeding afterwards I'm unsure of, got to avoid getting air in the master cylinder....

Jordan
Hi Jordan,
Bleeding the brakes is pretty straight forward. The following sequence should be followed
in order.
1) Right Rear
2)Left Rear
3)Right Front
4)Left Front

Basicly this is the longest run of brake pipe first working through to the shortest.

Get yourself a one man brake bleeder.This has a non-return valve attached to a tube and comes with a little bottle. Your local motor factor should have one for under £10
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Brake-Bleed...tegory=112

Lock this on the bleed nipple and the open about a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn then pump the peddle air bubbles
will be seen in the tube if air is present, continue until no air bubbles are in the tube and tighten the bleed nipple. Then remove the hose and move to the next caliper. Make sure you top up the brake fluid level in the reservoir so it does not drop below the "Min" level and suck air into the system.

To stop as much air as possible entering the system you could use a clamp on the flexible brake hose to the caliper.
This will also stop a lot of fluid going on the floor. Be careful not to damage the hoses.
With the design of the rear brakes the hose is quiet away back from the caliper so you will still need to bleed the system.

If I was nearer I would pop round and give you a hand.

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Well, Sunday's brake disc work went far better than expected, apart from 1 stuck bolt there were no problems. We ended up doing both sides and bleeding the whole system in about 4 hours. The really good news is, it was all worth while because she passed her re-test Big Grin . So, a huge thank you to everyone who helped out with parts and advice, I couldn't have done it without you guys and I'm looking forward to finally getting to some of the meets!

Since I ended up changing both sides I don't have a new disc for sale however if anyone wants the old ones they're welcome to have them otherwise they'll be sold for scrap. One is definitely good and one is warped but could possibly be skimmed back into shape.

Jordan
thats fantastic news Jordan, be great to see you out and about in your car after all these years Smile

We're in touch with a guy who organises loads of carshows around Notts/East Midlands, so
there will be plenty of meets for you to get your car to if you want to go out one weekend Smile

Seeya soon,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie