Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOT failure
Hello all,
I took my car for her first MOT in over 4 years today and unsurprisingly she failed, but only on a few points. The passenger seat belt has a small frayed patch so needs replacing and it was reported the offside rear parking break wasn't functioning and the offside rear break was juddering. I had all new callipers fitted in 2002 and the mechanic suggested I’d need a new rear disc, does that sound correct to everyone? Any suggestions on other causes, locating and/or fitting parts would be greatly appreciated.

Jordan
Hi Jordan

There was a recent topic on seat belts; viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2436 Not sure if there was a final answer on this. Dave Howarth did have some (I bought a drivers side one from him)

Probably the best bet is to take the wheel of and get someone to operate the handbrake to see if it's working at all on the disc, perhaps the calipers have siezed from lack of use?? perhaps try getting the pistons pushed in and out a few times to free them? Again there is a posting in the parts section for rear disc suppliers.

And welcom to the forum BTW Smile

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I think someone said that Vauxhall Astra/Cavalier seatbelts are the same. If you want
some new seatbelts, let me know, cos we've got a 1996 Astra Estate here that we're
breaking, but its going to the scrapyard on Sunday, so let me know asap if you want them.

Whereabouts are you btw? Are you a DOC-UK club member yet? Any details/piccies of your
De for us to have a look at? :wink:

Welcome to the forum, and if you need any more help, just yell, there's loads of us on here
that will gladly give you help and advice when you need it. Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I did have a rear disc, in fact a pair.

I will see if I can find them 18 mths on!

Whereabouts are you Jordan?
Hello and many thanks to all of you. I'll be jacking the car up on Saturday to have a good look, and play, with the handbrake. While the wheel's off I'll check the condition of the offending disc too and find out just how bad it is. Claire, do you know if the Astra belt would be a drop in replacement or would it need the Delorean connector attaching? I am a DOC-UK member and there'll be plenty of pictures coming soon Big Grin . Keep me posted of the search for the disc's Alistair, I'm in a small town called Mansfield, just outside Nottingham.

Thanks again, it's good to know there’s a strong support group out there,

Jordan
lol, know Mansfield very well!!! We live just between Codnor and Alfreton Smile

Here's the seatbelt thread that someone else posted - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2436

Wanna pop down Saturday afternoon and get these seatbelts out of the car before it
goes on Sunday? We're only about 15 mins from Mansfield.
i feel a mini meet coming on Big Grin TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
If, when you take the rear wheels off, you may find that the actual disc friction material has dropped off the metal plate on one of the handbrake pads - this has happened to both mine and Claire's car! - Claire's still had the friction bit floating around in the caliper, and I glued it back on with super glue, suprisingly it stuck fast and passed MOT, and its still ok now :-).
My D' on the other hand had shed the pad and it had dissappeared somewhere along some road no doubt.
Upshot is, if you do find a missing handbrake pad, then don't bother buying a set (expensive) because I have 3 of them (new), I bought a set of 4 to replace my missing one and only fitted the one that was damaged as the rest were all fine.

Phill

(Claire's Partner, we are about 5 miles from Mansfield BTW)
Phill Wright
Vin #6772 'Sorbet'
Avantime 'M4TRA'
Sera 'Tarts Handbag'
95 1.7TD Cavalier 'Mazzie' BIO VXL. Run on 100% Veg oil ... :-)
'NUKE', the very last Cavalier made! rescued from a scrap dealer and now restored.
DOC 233
[Image: sorbet1.jpg][Image: dmcspin.gif][Image: sorbet2.jpg]
I didn't realise there were so many Deloreans nearby!

Claire, if you let me know where, when and how much I'll come round tomorrow, pick up the belt and see what I can do with it.

Thanks for the tip Phill, hopefully that's all it is, guess we'll find out tomorrow...

Jordan
PM sent Big Grin
A big thank you to Claire, Phill and RichH for their help yesterday, we now have a none frayed seat belt fitted and a handbrake that's so tight it held the car on a hill when it was off Big Grin . Unfortunately Rich confirmed one of the rear discs is warped and needs replacing, so if any one has a spare one lying around anywhere let me know.

Jordan
Hi Jordan

I have spent quite a while rooting through my garage and another I have use of, and cant seem to turn them up anywhere.

The new price does seem pretty cheap though!
Good stuff. Big Grin

Can I just ask, did you use the astra seat belts? Are these a direct fit or are some alterations required?
Mine work ok but dont retract that well, not sure if that will make it fail the mot (ive had that happen once before).
Good work getting that sorted Jordan!

How much of a shag was it changing over the seat belt? Was it a mission removing the back trim and putting it back without knackering anything? I'd like to replace my passenger side one as it's seen better days and the gf moans about it - but am put off a little bit by the process of actually doing the job...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Jordan, it was nice to meet you and your good lady on Saturday, and so glad we were able
to assist you.

Phill showed me the pics of your car, looks absolutely gawjus mate, cant wait to see it in
the metal and out at a few shows this year Smile