Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New whooshing/whirring noise I haven heard before?
Hi everyone, me again! I have another mind boggler for you! :lol:

A new one on me, but ever since the return from PJ Grady I've noticed a noise in whilst driving along that I don't recall hearing before? No - it's not the wife before anyone say's it! :lol:

Unsurprisingly, I don't have a "technical term" for it, but to me it sounds kind of like a whooshing/whirring sound!?!? It doesn't seem to occur at any specific time that I can tell (for example accelerating). However, there does appear to be a bit of a pattern to it. The noise will only last for a few seconds, stop briefly for a second and repeat again. It may not then happen for another few mins, but it will always follow that sequence of start-stop-start-stop... I will tend to expect this to happen now on a typical short journey maybe at least a dozen times?

My best guess is it is a relay, as the noise seems to be coming from that area. Although, I've heard the RPM relay engage upon initial start up and it doesn't sound anything like that, this is much louder! :?

Doesn't seem to effect performance at all and there are no other signs of trouble as a result! Hmmm...

Sorry, just read that back, quite a shocking description, hope someone can make some sense of it!! :oops:

Cheers

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
could it be the relay of the cooling fan for the radiator?
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Is your air conditioning on? It could be the compressor cycling.
When the air con is on, a fan at the front should be running too.

NickT
Sounds like cooling fans Carl, maybe the shroud is vibrating against something?

I remember you saying your ac wasnt gassed, so it cant be the compressor cutting in, could be your cooling fans switching on though?

If they are coming on while your driving you have a problem, especially with new rad and otterstat, I would get the cooling system checked for hydrocarbons by a garage see if that shows anything up.
I agree with Nick, my AC makes a wooshing sort of noise sometimes (when it works), and
the AC in Sorbet makes a noise like you describe too.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Wow! Thanks for all of the speedy replies people! Big Grin

Quick answers to some questions...

As Alistair said, I have never used my A/C, so guessing I can rule that out, unless it can still make a noise if it is on the right setting? :?

I have my fans on perm at the moment (don't ask lol) and am more than familiar of the noise they make by now!

This noise does appear to be coming from inside the cabin behind me around the area of the fuse box... I think? :?

John, you mention a relay for the cooling fan? Sounds plausible and could be contributing to my cooling issues perhaps?

Will leave it with you...

Cheers

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
hmmm..............

ok, this is my suggestion then if you think that is where the noise is coming from.

Take up the carpet on the rear shelf, and remove the wooden end pieces to reveal the
relay's and stuff.

Then, get a willing passenger (Alex?) to listen carefully and report what is happening
as you go for a drive/have the car running.

It might help you pinpoint which relay is making a funny noise - and like you say, it could
be related to your cooling issues too.
Carl Hammond Wrote:Wow! Thanks for all of the speedy replies people! Big Grin

Quick answers to some questions...

As Alistair said, I have never used my A/C, so guessing I can rule that out, unless it can still make a noise if it is on the right setting? :?

I have my fans on perm at the moment (don't ask lol) and am more than familiar of the noise they make by now!

This noise does appear to be coming from inside the cabin behind me around the area of the fuse box... I think? :?

John, you mention a relay for the cooling fan? Sounds plausible and could be contributing to my cooling issues perhaps?

Will leave it with you...

Cheers

Best regards

Carl

If it's right behind you (assuming LHD) it is where the ECU and such is located??
But if it's behind the passengers side, it's possible that it is the fan relay, especially if your car's previous owner did the "relay update". Mine did something like this once due to bad contact.
I am not a pro like NickT and such, but could it be the ignition or the door lock relay (passenger side of LHD)??
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
hi

not sure about this one.

its not too many baked beans is it :lol: :lol:

sorry couldn't resist it

sorry i can't be of more help

Steve
vin 1621
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Brilliant Steve! :lol:

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
steve.s Wrote:its not too many baked beans is it :lol: :lol:

Steve
vin 1621

ROFL!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(note to self - never get in a car with Steve after he's had a night on the Heinz 57's.....)