Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recomended Paint for windscreen surround
Hi there,
Does anyone have any recommendations for good paint to use on the metal windscreen surrounds?

Dan
VIN: 6511
Hi Dan,

If your taking them off then Powder coating is the best option by far.

Otherwise a good two-pack with matt agent to get that semi gloss finish.

Anything out of a spray can will just chip flake or peel in time.

Kind regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Hi Darren,

Thanks for the advice. So how do the strips come out? The side ones just unscrew by the looks of it, but the long one across the top, is that a T panel out job?
PJ Grady re-did Flopsy's last year - but not sure what with, but its lasting really well and still looks great.

Years ago, on Martin G's 'advice' I painted Flopsy's with aerosol - flaked off within months... Sad
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
The top strip is held in place with screws underneath the same seal as the side strips. On each side there are three screw in the top edge, and one around the corner. You don't need to take the t-panel out to remove it. The whole thing then slots into a strip just along the top edge of the windscreen.

The side strips are made from ally and the top strip is made from stainless.

It's down to the preparation and the undercoat you use. The best undercoat I found is called 'Rustoleum' and is made by Hard Hat Paints - it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.
I used two or three coats Duplicolour Satin Black - five years on it's as good as the day I did it. Having said that Powder Coat is the way to go if you can afford it.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I think I'll have them powedercoated next week. Cheers for the advice Big Grin

I was replacing my outer door seals and used acetone to take off the old glue and it took the bloody paint off with it! Typical delorean job leading to another... Oh well they will look better spruced up anyway Big Grin